Two Macs now looking at different Dropbox folders -- how to merge safely?

Options
michuser49
michuser49
Community Member

I have a Mac Mini and a MacBook Air, both trying to sync 1Password (4.2.2) via Dropbox. These also talk to my iPhone, which runs the 1Password app (4.3.2).

The laptop went to Apple last week for service, and I just got it back with a new logic board. Yay!

Not sure how this could have happened, but it appears the two machines are now syncing to different Dropbox folders. I suspect the problem is that a fresh installation of TextExpander that created a new Dropbox folder, in what is the common (root) location, but that creation has suddenly altered my folder structure. I had my 1PW sync previously pointing to a Dropbox folder that was located within my "Documents" folder.

Obviously I need to point both machines to point the same folder; I prefer to use the architecture that keeps Dropbox as a subfolder of "Documents." In either case, this will require merging the records that were changed over the past week (while I was working only on the Mini). I know the two machines are not syncing to the same place, because all of the passwords I changed last week (because of the Heartbleed issue) are not syncing to the MacBook Air (although the Air reports syncing with no problems). While the laptop was away, too, I created my first vaults in 1PW, so those will also need to be migrated successfully to the MacBook Air. (They are not yet showing up on the Air.)

So to be clear, the Mini (with my most up-to-date passwords, or so I think) is syncing my Primary Vault to:
> Documents > Dropbox > 1Password.agilekeychain

The laptop is syncing to:
> Dropbox > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain

What should I do to merge these safely?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @michuser49‌

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we experienced a surge in support requests recently. We're doing the best we can to get back to our usual speedy replies as soon as possible.

We should be able to get this sorted simply by resetting sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On both the Macs, go to File > Backup and run an extra backup just to be safe. :)

• On the Macs, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac (the Mini with the up-to-date database), go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• On the other Mac, go to Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select the 1Password.agilekeychain file inside. 1Password will offer to merge the data. Confirm.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

Please let me know how this works!

• catvincent
    catvincent
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem as the OP. I have followed the above instructions to the letter and the second Mac is still showing different data to the primary Mac. Please advice.

(NB. The data from the primary mac was also having problems being seen in Android and iOS devices - this problem seems to be fixed after the full reset of the primary Mac, but the secondary Mac is still missing data.)

• michuser49
    michuser49
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the directions!

I just worked through these steps, and it seems (at first glance) to have done much of what I needed. The new passwords are now syncing back to the second Mac, and that was the main problem. Excellent. They are showing up as the password as needed. It appears that the older passwords (the ones that were on the second Mac) have been retained rather than discarded -- I assume this is an expected part of the merger process? These are shown in each record, under "Conflicts." But as these older (conflicted) passwords aren't being auto-entered when I click on 1Password Mini, or via the browser extension, this doesn't seem a big problem.

The syncing isn't working yet, however, on the iPhone. Here I'm getting an error message ("There is a problem with the Dropbox service.") It tells me to try again later. So I'll do that, and will hope for more success later this evening or tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help --

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @catvincent,

I'm so sorry to hear that my instructions didn't work for you! In order to get this straightened out for you, we'll need to take a closer look at your system. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report from each of your Macs?

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Hi @michuser49‌

Thanks for letting me know that my instructions worked (for the most part!) Some 'conflicts' are to be expected, in cases where you may have made changes to the same entry on multiple devices. 1Password tries to merge things as cleanly as possible, but we do prefer to err on the side of caution to ensure that data does not get deleted, so when 1Password cannot fully merge the data, the conflict section will appear. You're welcome to remove this data once you've confirmed that the correct password is stored where it should be within the entry.

As far as the message that you are seeing on your iOS device goes, this is likely a rate-limiting message that can happen with larger databases. When you see this, please don't reset sync, simply leave it as is. Dropbox will usually finish syncing on its own time.

I hope this gets you fully synced up, but if you run into any further problems, we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.