How to handle different kinds of Log-Ins (Online Services vs Apps, or combination)

Options
iCoco
iCoco
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

Dear support forum,

I am slightly confused about a rather organizational question:

We have Services and Apps that require different login procedures, and I wonder how to handle such different login items within 1Password.

For online services that are accessed via browser (e.g. Amazon, Booking.com and the likes) we save our regular login credentials (username and password) in 1Password. That's clear.

Then, on our iPhones we have Apps from services like Dropbox which require a separate App Log-In/Passcode to fire up the App, in addition to the login credentials. Now where would I save that? Same 1Pw-item in the notes field? Create new field in same item? Create completely separate login item?

Third we have Apps - like Day One - which are available only as Apps and do not require any credentials to their service but simply an App passcode. How should I handle this kind of pure App login?

And finally - to make things a bit more confusing - Apps like Flipboard do not require an App passcode but rather a login password to access the service. Now what do I do in this case?

As the 1Password categories don't offer anything like "App Login", I'd love to hear how others handle these different kinds of Log-Ins in 1Password.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iCoco,

Thanks so much for writing such a detailed outline of your question! Happily the answer here is quite simple: the Login details for any URL and/or app, can be stored in the Login categories. The difference comes in how these details are later filled in.

For URLs, of course, you can use ⌘\ to fill on webpages. Or use ⌘⌥\ to open Mini, navigate to your desired Login and have 1Password open the page and fill your details for you, if that's how you roll.

Unfortunately, for desktop apps, 1Password is not capable of filling automatically. (This is a feature we'd love to implement in the future, but it's not nearly as simple as filling in browsers.) To fill Login information in a desktop app, use ⌘⌥\ to open 1Password Mini and navigate to your desired Login. While viewing the details, either click the password to copy to the clipboard, or click the anchor in the bottom left to pin the details to your screen so they can be easily copied and pasted.

The same sort of situation applies to iOS. Due to the sandboxing of apps on iOS, Apple does not provide developers with a way to directly interface with other apps. Unless the app has included support for 1Password explicitly, we cannot do anything (like filling) in another app. These sandboxing restrictions also prohibit 1Password from providing browser extensions for mobile browsers. This is why we have 1Browser available within the 1Password app: to allow you to take advantage of 1Password's stored information and filling capabilities.

Currently to log into other apps such as the Facebook native app, you need to copy and paste from the 1Password app. 1Password makes this easy as you can simply tap on the username or password to copy it. 1Password will then clear out the clipboard within a given time period to ensure that your important information does not stay in the clipboard after you no longer have a need for it. You can check out Apps that love 1Password to see which apps have added 1Password integration into their interface.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

thank you for your kind reply. Your answer is very clear and I understand the possibilities and limitations much better now. :)

However, my question was more about organizing different "types" of logins. To better clarify my question I'll attach two screenshots:

1.) Box: Here we have credentials to log in to the online service, like user name, service password and a website URL - similar to any other "normal" login. However, as there is also an App for that ;) that I have protected with the usual four digit code, I have saved this code as an additional "app key" in a separate field of the same item.

2.) Day One: This wonderful journaling service is available as an App and does not require any credentials to log in to a service - no user name, no password, no website url. I simply need the "app key" to open up the app on any device. In this case I have saved the app key under the "password" field (which I know I can't use to fill in automatically).

So I am a bit confused because I have the same type of "app key" stored in two different fields.

Maybe this just doesn't matter, and my question might be a bit exaggerated. However, I wonder how others handle these different types of "service logins" and "app keys".

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iCoco,

Thanks so much for clarifying your question. Really, this is going to come down to personal preference. I'd likely organize things the same way you have, and save Day One as a Login, just leaving the unknown fields blank. I've also seen other uses store items with only a password in the 'Passwords' category. We try to offer different categories so that you can organize things in a way that makes sense to you. I guess the real question is: when you want your Day One info, where is the first place that you would look? :)

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Megan. So I'll leave it as it is.

(I've been wondering before what the "Passwords" section might be for, as I only find duplicates of some of my passwords in there. As far as I can tell this "Passwords" section seems to keep items created when 1Password's password generator is used.)

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The Passwords category saves generated passwords which are not linked to any saved login item. In other words, if you generate a password but don't associate it with a login that you save it will appear in the Passwords category. You can clear out of that category any duplicate passwords by going to 1P4 > Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords.

Stephen

• Yoinkeys
    Yoinkeys
    Community Member
    Options

I am more so wondering how you were able to get a DayOne icon for the login part?
    I do not have 1Password for Mac, but simply for iOS. Is there a way I can go about having one for my DayOne Login in 1Password?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Yoinkeys,

The icon above looks like it may have been added manually. 1Password 4 for Mac supports adding custom icons. Unfortunately, this feature is not available on iOS.

I've mentioned to our team though that you'd love to see an icon for your DayOne Login. We'll do what we can to get an icon up on our image server for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.