1Password 4.5: Dropbox Sync requires set-up

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cesaralopez‌

Thanks so much for the feedback, I'll be sure to let our developers know! For the time being, you can determine when a sync is occurring by heading to the sync page. "Last Sync" will display "In progress" when sync is happening. :)

• drew212
    drew212
    Community Member

Hi @Megan,

Thanks for the instructions. I had already figured out that the first ones didn't work before your update, and have setup my primary vault as a secondary one for the time being.

We are not going to be able to easily go through that process with all workmates and family members using 1Password, so I hope your developers can push out a version 4.5.1 update that fixes this ASAP.

Thanks,
    Drew

• wrke
    wrke
    Community Member

As I can't sync between my iMac and MacbookAir (nothing I've tried over the last few days works) — by using either Dropbox or iCloud, I've successfully synced manually by copying the latest backup from the iMac to the Air with a USB flash drive. I've also tried WiFi syncing to the iPad and that doesn't work either. Is there a way to transfer the backup file to my iPad?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Drew ( @drew212 ),

It's honestly a bit surprising to me how many people seem to be re-naming their primary keychain manually. ;) Thank you for your patience here, believe me, I understand how frustrating this must be, and our developers are hoping to get it fixed ASAP.

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    edited April 2014

Hi @Chris100,

I do apologize that 4.5 required you to re-set up your sync. I hope that everything goes smoothly for you from now on, but we're here if you have any questions!

Thanks. FYI, my primary keychain has not been renamed. It has the default name, in the default location. (Same with my wife.)

...just in case you are trying to narrow down what causes sync settings to be lost after the update.

• drew212
    drew212
    Community Member
    edited April 2014

Hi @Megan,

What's surprising to me is that the implications of introducing multiple vaults doesn't seem to have been thought through carefully. Of course people who are sharing vaults via Dropbox are going to have to make changes to filenames and folder structures in order to get sharing permissions on Dropbox right.

There seems to be a weakness at AgileBits in user scenario planning and software QA, and it has come back to bite AgileBits with both the upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac and now the new iOS version. With the Mac version, there was the problem of losing Dropbox access permissions when a keychain was stored in a folder outside the default, among other bugs. If the developers are going to build the software with the required level of flexibility for users to do things other than the defaults, they have take more scenarios into consideration when doing upgrades. They seem to fall down on that front repeatedly.

Just my honest opinion and frustration. Overall, 1Password is great software and I respect the amount of care that goes into thinking through security models for the software. It just seems that the same level of care is not there on many usability issues.

Drew

P.S. I know how tough your job is being on the front lines of fielding user frustration and gripes. Thanks for listening and always responding so promptly and gracefully!

• bonka
    bonka
    Community Member

@Megan‌ I have the same broken sync issue as mentioned by other users, but I'm also unable to reestablish sync with the old keychain. The keychain has a non-standard name, but I assure you it is there - in plain Dropbox sight. iOS app says it is searching for only "1password.agilekeychain" / opvault, and suggests creating a new file. Do I have to rename it to reestablish sync?

• wrke
    wrke
    Community Member

I was finally able to sync with WiFi, but in order to be successful, I had to delete 1Password from the iPad and download and re-install.

• Good afternoon folks!

Thank you all for your feedback, it's great to hear from so many passionate 1Password customers! We have just posted 1Password for iOS 4.5.1b2 which we believe fixes the trouble you're seeing. If you'd like to test out this beta build and verify that we got it right please send me an email at mrrooni @ agilebits.com and I'll get you into the beta. Thanks so much!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @drew212,

Again, thanks for providing your opinions here. I can see how frustrating issues like this can be, but I certainly wouldn't chalk them up to a lack of QA. We have an active beta community of over 10,000 users (for the 1Password 4 for Mac beta), but unfortunately even the best testing can't cover all possible scenarios. The two bugs you mention are perfect examples of this, as they occur as a result of the upgrade itself - which is not something that we are able to test in the betas.

I hope that you have taken MrRoonie up on his invitation to join the beta program - it sounds like you would be a great help in testing out new features and providing your unique user perspective. :)

Hi @bonka,

I do apologize for the trouble. My earlier post offers the options for getting synced up right now. Unfortunately it does involve either using the default name for your primary vault, or temporarily installing your primary vault as a secondary vault. My developers are working to get this fixed for all non-standard name users just as soon as possible!

Hi @wrke‌

I'm glad to hear you got Wi-Fi sync working! ;)

• alemar
    alemar
    Community Member

hello @Megan‌

i try this
    You can re-name your primary keychain to "1Password.agilekeychain" so that 1Password can find it automatically.

i am happy to say, IT WORKS!!!!! Thank you for support!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hello again,

Just wanted to provide a quick update here.

I know this has been a popular topic today, and I've spent a lot of time working with the developers in hopes of finding a solution that works well for everyone.

We've considered the situation from a variety of user standpoints, and we have come to the conclusion that an immediate change cannot be implemented here. Unfortunately, it has been discovered while testing that there is an edge case where disabling and re-enabling sync with a uniquely named primary vault could lead to merged databases.

As this is clearly a common concern, our developers are looking into ways to set uniquely named vaults as primary on iOS, but there is no easy way to do this without potentially causing complications for users. And because we want to be sure that your data stays organized and secure, we will have to continue searching for alternative solutions.

I do apologize for the inconvenience here. For the time being, you have two options for syncing a uniquely-named primary vault:

• Set up 1Password as a new user with an empty vault and use the 'Add Vault' option in Settings to add your vault as a secondary vault
    • Rename your primary vault to the default 1Password.agilekeychain.

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you all right now, but we are continuing to investigate this and will be sure to let you know when we have an update.

• dbdrwdn
    dbdrwdn
    Community Member

DO NOT SYNC!
    If someone made changes (and i think a lot of people will do just that at the moment -> heartbleed) and reenable sync on the iOS device, the changes will be rolled back in some cases.

I ended up with some "conflict" entries and a bunch of reset logins (loosing my new passwords!!!).
    Now i am trying to get the sync-corrupted passwords back with a little help from dropbox, but going back to an older version of a .1password always ends up with the same corrupted login after the first client started.

again: if you changed anything and now realize that your iOS clients did not sync -> DO NOT SYNC!

• GregSheri
    GregSheri
    Community Member

@Megan‌ - I'm having the same sync problem as many of the previous posters with a slight wrinkle. We have not changed the default file name, but do not have the file located in what 4.5 appears to set as the default location. Rather than /Dropbox/Apps, we share a file in /Dropbox/Shared Data/1Password (owned by my Dropbox account, shared with my wife). I was able to successfully add this as a Secondary vault on our phones, but never as the Primary. This works, but more as a (hopefully) workaround rather than a final solution. Looking forward to a fix for this, thanks!

• Amitava
    Amitava
    Community Member

I had the same issue after update; I had to 'Start Syncing' by re-selecting Dropbox sync. At this point there was another weird behavior -- I needed to go back to grab my Dropbox password, and there was no way to do that. Canceling the Dropbox login screen only brought it back again -- had to force quit the app!
    I updated a password on the Mac, and after finally syncing, the new password does appear in the iOS app, but also shows a conflict (with the old password). Is that normal?

• Amitava
    Amitava
    Community Member

By the way, I might have missed it, but there doesn't seem to be a link to the forums on the main AgileBits 1Password site?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014

Hi @dbdrwdn‌

I sincerely apologize that you've been having trouble getting your new passwords synced up! I can imagine how frustrating this would be. This bug has been fixed by our developers already, and you should see an update soon that resolves this issue. However, that's obviously not going to be of much use to you right now, so lets' see what we can do to get this sorted out. Before we go through this, check to see if you have a backup from before the sync reset caused all these conflicts. If you do, we'll delete the data from your iOS apps and restore to this backup:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync'.

• Go to Settings > Advanced > Erase Data.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On your Mac, go to File > Backup and restore to a backup from prior to the troublesome sync reset.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

Hi @GregSheri‌

Thanks for letting me know about this! I apologize for the complication and I'll pass this information along to our developers. :)

Hi @Amitava‌

I'm sorry that you've had difficulty getting 1Password sync set up. Our developers are hoping to make this process a lot smoother in the future. It sounds to me like you may not have the Dropbox app installed on your iPhone. If you install the Dropbox app, and log in before setting up sync, you should be able to avoid the issue of being asked for your Dropbox password midway through the sync set-up process.

As far as the conflict goes, it's not 'normal', but it can happen if an entry has been modified on more than one device. If 1Password cannot determine which is the more recent data, it will save the conflicting data in a 'Conflicts' section, to ensure that important data does not get inadvertently deleted. Our developers are working to make conflict resolution within 1Password smarter.

I hope this answers your questions, but we're here for you if you need anything further!

• voodoo90
    voodoo90
    Community Member

Hello @Megan

Since the last update I am experiencing the same sync issue as everyone else with renamed vaults. IOS devices no longer allow choosing a primary vault sync file via Dropbox leaving me with the only option of an empty primary vault with two secondaries for myself and wife.

Have the developers considered adding a feature which allows you to choose a default vault when opening 1Password? At least in my case, this would allow me to retain the empty primary while gaining quicker and easier access to the shared secondaries.

• Along the same lines as here... custom named primary keychain that is no longer syncing. I would imagine there are a lot of people in the same boat that have not realized that their syncing is no longer happening. Renaming your primary keychain seems like a natural result of the introduction of multiple vaults.

Love the software and recommend it too... but 1Password update and broken Dropbox syncing is becoming a reoccurring theme. :(

• dbdrwdn
    dbdrwdn
    Community Member

@Megan‌ i don't have a backup that i can restore without loosing half of my new passwords.
    The mac app made a backup almost in the middle of a 3h password renewal session.
    As anyone else would do, i changed my most relevant passwords first, so almost every password i changed in this session is a high priority one.

Disabling sync with an update of an app is one thing. But overwriting changed entries with old data is an absolute no go for a tool that holds the most relevant data in a digital life.

The only option i have in mind at the moment is to manually restore every single .1password file in my dropbox (the hell!) and then hope for a client to at least create a conflict entry. Then i have to go through all my entries an fix them. Having around 200 items is not a big help here, especially not when using the webinterface of dropbox to restore old versions of my .1password files that have bullish*it names to confuse me even more.

As far as i can masure the work it will take me even more than 3h to restore 3 hours of work i already did.
    It is almost impossible to keep calm and go ahead fixing the mess your sloppy QA caused me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @voodoo90‌ and Brett

I do apologize for the trouble here. My developers are looking into options here, however at this point the simplest solution is to rename your primary keychain to 1Password.agilekeychain.

Thanks so much for your patience - I realize the upgrade process here has been less smooth than ideal!

Hi @dbdrwdn,

Again, you have my apologies here. I know that this is an extremely frustrating bug, and it doesn't matter that our developers have already managed to squash it because you're still dealing with conflicted entries. I do recommend considering my steps - restoring items individually in Dropbox might not be the most successful option here. At the very least, ensure that you have backups available from before the merge so that you can restore if necessary. :)

• lyingidle
    lyingidle
    Community Member

What I just discovered is that when I reconnected my iOS devices to DropBox sync, they tried to push their data up as new. I had been making changes all day via my computer, and when I connected my iOS app, it wiped out half my new logins and a number of others had "conflict" sections added to them.

It appears that the iOS app is not checking timestamps when it goes to sync. The best thing to do would be to wipe the app before reenabling sync to Dropbox (provided Dropbox has your most up to date library). After sync was re-enabled on all my devices, everything seems to be working the way it used to, but this was a major gotcha. It shouldn't have done this, and at a minimum, it should have been mentioned in the release notes so that people didn't inadvertently trash some entries. In my case, I had just updated over 20 accounts (changing passwords due to Heartbleed) and all of a sudden all my new passwords were gone forcing me to blind reset all the accounts...again.

Frustrating to say the least.

• SherylC
    SherylC
    Community Member

@Megan,
    I can't sync either, or rather my iPassword is no longer syncing. I have my 1Password.agilekeychain in my dropbox on my computer. When I go to settings on my iPhone and then to Sync>Start Syncing I get 4 choices: Sync with iCloud, Sync with Dropbox, Sync using wifi, Import from iTunes. When I chose Sync with Dropbox it shows my name and says using 1.79GB of 4.43 GB. There is no option to toggle dropbox off and on. I don't know what I should do! I have changed a bunch of passwords on my computer which are not showing up on my iOS devices.

• SherylC
    SherylC
    Community Member

On both my iOS devices (iPhone & iPad) there is an additional file called .ws.agile.1Password.settings that doesn't appear on my computer Dropbox folder

• SherylC
    SherylC
    Community Member

One other thing. There were two 1Password.agilekeychain's on my Dropbox. One had very little in it and the other had a lot. I removed the one that had a little from Dropbox on my computer. When I look at the Dropbox folder on my iPad the wrong one is there. How do I make them sync so that the one that is on the computer matches the one on the iOS device?

• janericster
    janericster
    Community Member

Same problem on my end and this is VERY frustrating! I'm shocked there wasn't better QA testing on this 4.5 build.

I do NOT have a unique named Dropbox keychain file.

I tried everything mentioned in this forum so far that I can see.

Deleted 1Password from my iPhone, reinstalled, re-established sync with Dropbox and still shows no changes/additions made on my Mac 2 days ago.

Even disabled sync, restarted the app and re-established again with Dropbox.

Obviously a bug that needs fixing and there is no workaround so far with my setup.

Just have to wait for a patch and I hope it isn't just for those who have a unique keychain named file. Mine uses the default name.

:(

• aitsu
    aitsu
    Community Member

Same problem as janericster. Working between updated iMac and updated iPhone through Dropbox. Tempted to just delete everything Agile-related from Dropbox and start over.

I am very surprised that this version made it into the wild. I mean, these are basic functions.

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member

I too found that my iPad with 4.5 1Password, running iOS 7.1.1 wasn't sync'd with my Mac 10.9.2 running 1Password 4.3 (from Agilebits store). Using default named Agile keychain kept in Dropbox 1Password folder. Got locked out of brokerage account because iPad wasn't using the latest password I had saved on the Mac.

I managed to stumble through iOS settings/Sync/Dropbox and it seems to be Syncing but items I had deleted on the Mac are still in the iPad.

In one of those undeleted items on iPad there is a "Conflicts" section that I've never seen before with the tag "txtPass"; and on anther item a Conflict "ctl01$cphMainContent$txtPassword".

I'm unsure if I should delete on the iPad those two items or disable Sync altogether on the iPad and then enable Dropbox syncing again. Do you know what is the safest and best path to follow.

I liked the 4.5 update till I noticed this Synching problem. I push 1Password to friends and co-workers but this update problem is very disappointing.

Larry

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member

Checked on my Mac 1Password and saw that I had conflicts there in the same items as I had on iPad. The Conflicts text is "txtPass" the old password that was stored is the data.

Larry

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member

A followup to something you wrote " backup from prior to the troublesome sync reset." I do have backups but WHEN did the sync reset occur? Also, how do I get rid of the conflict stuff appearing in some of my Login items? I really do not want to restore from a backup and have to try to remember which Logins I changed; getting locked out of bank and brokerage accounts is no fun.

This discussion has been closed.