Completely Lost

Options

I am 67 years old and I can't get 1Password to work. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Internet Explorer 11. I have installed the program, added the icon to the browser tool bar. When I hit the icon on the desktop I get a welcome box but nothing like I see on your help pages. I have choice of adding data, opening existing data or restoring data. I checked that I am using administrator privileges, having uninstalled the program; then re installed the program, done the same with antivirus off. Nothing seems to work. My frustration level keeps going up.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Please click that 1st button ("create new 1Password data"), then give your 1Password data a name (or simply accept the default name we're giving), and click "Save". 1Password will now ask you to pick a master password. Please choose a long password that is easy to remember for you. From here on, you can unlock your 1Password data with the master password and create new Logins.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/getting-started.html

• pekellyco
    pekellyco
    Community Member
    Options

I tried that. I was able to Save, chose a new password, told it was excellent, but the save button won't highlight. No joy.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

I was able to Save, chose a new password, told it was excellent, but the save button won't highlight.

I'm not entirely sure what window you're looking at (maybe you can send us a screen shot?) but assuming you're still in the process of creating a new keychain and picking a new master password, then you need to re-enter your master password for that button to enable:

• pekellyco
    pekellyco
    Community Member
    Options

I entered the new password twice, I have the same box as you have noted, but the OK button won't highlight so it can be used. I tried hitting enter after the second password and still no useable ok box.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I entered the new password twice, I have the same box as you have noted, but the OK button won't highlight so it can be used.

You need to enter the exact same password twice.

• pekellyco
    pekellyco
    Community Member
    Options

I entered the password twice. I solved the problem by restarting the computer. Thanks for all you help. I done until completely lost again.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

:)

We're here when you need us, @pekellyco‌, so don't hesitate to ask!

• ddstar
    ddstar
    Community Member
    Options

Also completely lost. Most threads are Greek to me. Purchased 1password on ipad after checking that i could link it to my pc running xp (wrong assumption?) have spent ages downloading dropbox on both systems and experimenting. They are talking to each other as photos appear in both dropboxes but i can't sort out the password storing facility. Thought i needed to download 1password on both machines (2nd wrong assumption?) but seem to have got the trial version on pc which i'm sort of getting the hang of re password storage, but ipad and windows not linking at all here. Did i go wrong at first base? Sorry, don't know if i need to start all over again. Any help welcome

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ddstar‌, the high-level flow is:

1. Install 1Password for Windows. (For the first 30 days, it doesn't matter whether it's licensed or still in trial mode.)

2. Set up your 1Password data folder with a master password.

3. Install Dropbox on your PC.

4. In the main 1Password for Windows program, press Ctrl+P, select the General tab, and click on the Move to Dropbox button.

5. Wait for Dropbox to finish copying your 1Password data up to your private dropbox.com web site.

6. Install 1Password for iOS on your iPad.

7. Install the Dropbox app on your iPad, and associate it with the same Dropbox account.

8. Launch 1Password on your iPad.

9. Tap Sync > Settings > Dropbox, and follow the instructions to use your Dropbox account.

You should see the same Logins and other saved items in 1Password for iOS as you see in 1Password for Windows, and Dropbox should keep them in sync from this point on.

This discussion has been closed.