Firefox saved passwords sync

nonegrade
nonegrade
Community Member
edited April 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

New user here. I really appreciate the ability to import Firefox saved passwords into 1Password on my Windows machine. However, even though I've synced my Macbook and my phone through Dropbox, I don't see those Firefox passwords listed on those devices. Is there any way to sync Firefox saved passwords from my Windows machine to my other devices? Or is that just specific to the Firefox extension on that machine?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@nonegrade, are the imported Firefox login credentials (username+password+URL) visible in the main 1Password for Windows program, in the 1Password extension for Firefox, or only in Firefox itself?

• nonegrade
    nonegrade
    Community Member

I believe they are only visible in the extension, but I can double check when I get home.

• nonegrade
    nonegrade
    Community Member

Confirmed, only in the browser extension.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@nonegrade‌, how did you import the Firefox passwords? Was it using a third-party tool? Can you describe the process?

Thanks!

• nonegrade
    nonegrade
    Community Member
    edited April 2014

Like this! :) It's in the settings of the browser extension:

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! I'll check with Development...

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@nonegrade, it occurs to me that you haven't mentioned whether you have the main 1Password for Windows program installed on your PC.

If you don't, then that explains why your imported-from-Firefox passwords are isolated within the 1Password extension for Firefox on your PC.

The 1Password browser extensions extend the power of 1Password on the same computer to the browsers on that computers. On the PC, the Helper (a component of 1Password) facilitates communication between the extensions and the main 1Password program. Logins in the main program are sync'ed (using Dropbox) to 1Password on other computers and devices.

If I'm right in thinking you don't yet have 1Password for Windows installed, then that's what you need to do. Once it's installed, the 1Password extension for Firefox should start communicating with the main program, which will in communicate with 1Password on your Macbook and phone.

On the other hand, if you do already have the main 1Password program installed on the same PC where the imported-from-Firefox passwords are visible in the extension, then something is blocking the communication between the extension and the main program (preventing the imported passwords from being copied to the main program). The usual suspects are antivirus, anti-malware, and firewall software—do you have any of those installed in Windows or in Firefox itself?

• nonegrade
    nonegrade
    Community Member
    edited April 2014

I do have the main application installed. I also have several browser security extensions...thanks for the insight, I will try disabling them and see if it works.

EDIT: That worked, thank you very much!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That’s great news, @nonegrade—thanks for letting us know!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014

@nonegrade out of curiosity, what browser extension was the culprit?

This discussion has been closed.