Password window sometimes only accepts single input method

Groxx
Groxx
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
This is a bit of a strange one, but I've got a few input methods on my computer. Two Japanese methods, plus Qwerty and Dvorak. Sometimes, and I've never been able to find out a pattern to it, the 1Password password dialog switches input to Dvorak, and doesn't allow me to change it. This means I have to launch 1p, and log in there, in order to use it.

Below is a screenshot, showing one example. Note the greyed out options, and that the keyboard input switch popup only lists dvorak:

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 1969
    Groxx wrote:
    This is a bit of a strange one, but I've got a few input methods on my computer. Two Japanese methods, plus Qwerty and Dvorak. Sometimes, and I've never been able to find out a pattern to it, the 1Password password dialog switches input to Dvorak, and doesn't allow me to change it. This means I have to launch 1p, and log in there, in order to use it.

Below is a screenshot, showing one example. Note the greyed out options, and that the keyboard input switch popup only lists dvorak:
    Attachment not found.

I feel I must ask wtf, and wonder if this is OSX related, or 1Password related.

Wow! heh. That's really quite a strange issue. I think you are probably an edge case here - I don't know of many people who use both Qwerty and Dvorak, let alone two additional on top of those. We will have to do some testing. In System Prefs -> Language and Text -> Input Sources do you have "Use the same one in all documents" selected?
  • Groxx
    Groxx
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Yep, I do. And when it happens, changing to another application does change to qwerty.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the follow-up, Groxx. I'm sorry for the trouble, and rather puzzled. I thought for sure Ben had hit the nail on the head: I've often been confused by my input source changing "randomly," only to realise that I had OS X configured not to use the same input source for all documents. As you say that option is checked, I'm unsure why this is occurring. I'll bring this thread to the attention of the rest of the team and see what we can figure out.

We appreciate the report, and your patience!

[Edit] I just had a thought: do you know what your input source was when you created your master password?
  • Groxx
    Groxx
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    It was definitely Qwerty, and the main application has always allowed all input forms.

I can't recall if it's ever defaulted to Dvorak, or if it carries over, and it hasn't happened for a few days now (don't you just love intermittent problems?). I do know for certain though that the application has never gotten stuck on just one input, only the pop-up.

Another thought / observation: I'm not sure if this has happened for any browser but Safari / WebKit (I run nightlies fairly often). But I rarely use other browsers, though I'll keep an eye out with Chrome. I can't recall Chrome ever doing this, though it's been used far less.

And thanks for all the effort! It's always good to see a support forum that's actually supporting. I'm not in any great hurry to fix this, as I do have a workaround, so don't stress over this :)
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Groxx wrote:
    It was definitely Qwerty, and the main application has always allowed all input forms.

And thanks for all the effort! It's always good to see a support forum that's actually supporting. I'm not in any great hurry to fix this, as I do have a workaround, so don't stress over this :)

Thanks for the additional input (hehe). We're here to help you in any way we can and we love it when our customers make it so enjoyable.
  • Groxx
    Groxx
    Community Member
    edited April 2010
    Further update:

It just happened again, though I didn't catch the cause. Strangely enough, it only misbehaves in Safari, and I tried it in Firefox, WebKit nightly, and Chrome. All three worked normally (no Japanese input, but that's normal for 1password, though I feel I must ask "why?"), but Safari persisted in it's Dvorak-ness even after testing multiple times. This all started in Safari, though, so it may be specific to the application that started the shenanigans.

During all this, just for more info:
    • Safari is eating up a full core, but only when the floating sign-in is up. It does this all the time, whether it's misbehaving or not, in all browsers. Never noticed before.
    • I've had the 1password main app open, and logged in & out a few times, and it's persisted.
    • I've closed my laptop (sleep-mode), and re-opened, and it's persisted.
    • Restarting Safari (with 1password quit & not running) fixed the problem.

In case I didn't mention, I'm an ultimate edge-case for many many systems. I have a knack for finding strange bugs. But I'm also willing to do just about anything to help you figure this out, as I know how nasty intermittent bugs are to find. If I can find a way, I'll happily do a RAM dump for you, or the most in-depth trace you know of, or whatever else we can come up with.
  • darkangel8
    edited December 1969
    Is this about the keyboard layout?
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    darkangel8, welcome to the forums. Well, sort of, yes; it's about input method conflicts.

Groxx, thanks for the follow-up. I think that one of our developers will need to have a look at this. I'll bring this thread to their attention, but they will likely not be able to look into it until the iPad hubbub dies down. It is possible that Jamie has some more insight to share or questions to ask, so I'll ask him to have a look first.
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Groxx, Gita asked me about this, and I was honestly clueless, but Chad had an interesting idea about the keyboard layout of the root user. Could you try this? Delete the following files/folders

Home > Library > Application Support > 1Password > Agent
    Home > Library > Application Support > 1Password > Extensions
    Home > Library > LaunchAgents > ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist

and then restart your Mac. After the restart, launch 1Password so that it can install all the items fresh. (You might need to go to 1Password > Preferences > Browsers and click Install All Extensions.) That will make sure that the agent and browser extensions are owned by your user account and it should cause your keyboard layout to be respected.

Let us know if you have any other trouble.
  • Groxx
    Groxx
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    heh, even your avatar looks quizzical... it's strange to me too.

I'll do that right now, thanks! It could be a while before it occurs again (if it occurs again), but unless I reply, assume it's working. I'll try to remember to update after a while if it's still working, but I forget things ^^;

Thanks again for all the help!
  • Groxx
    Groxx
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Well, it's happened again, this time in Chrome. I can attach a screenshot if you desire, but it's essentially the exact same thing (though the password input screen is a bit different looking). The main application continued to work normally, as before.

A new Chrome window didn't work, and it persists through sleep / wake, though I haven't rebooted yet, nor fully shut down Chrome, just the initially-offending window (it affects all windows once it starts). The Chrome plugin is at version 0.7.2, with ID: gkndfifopckmhdkohjeoljlbfnjhekfg, and I'd be happy to get more info if you tell me what / how to get it.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Groxx, did you try the procedure that Jamie outlined above?
  • Groxx
    Groxx
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Yep, I have. It appeared to fix it, and has only just happened again for the first time since that post. I'll do it again, but it appears to be related to something else, as it "came back".

It appears that completely shutting Chrome down / some combination of sleep / wake cycles has made it work in Chrome again, I believe without a reboot (though I'm not certain, sorry! my laptop's had a lot of use the past few days.)
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thank you for the update, Groxx.
This discussion has been closed.