1Password is restoring to a blank 1Browser view constantly [Investigating]

Smithjw
Smithjw
Community Member
edited May 2014 in iOS

Is there a way to disable the app launching with the 1Browser? If I had a choice, I would always launch 1Password with it going to the last viewed item or the Category/Favourites list

Comments

• 1Password should always be opening to the last place you were when you left it. I'm not sure why it's always jumping to 1Browser for you, but we'll look into it.

• Hi @Smithjw,

If you kill the app in the background, did it work better?

• warr
    warr
    Community Member

This has bugged me for ages. Every time I launch it goes to a blank browser. Granted I do probably close the app 40% more often than not from the browser. Probably another 40% from an item, I switch away to an app that wanted my pw. That's switching away from a pw or login screen, not browser.

But, again, I always open 1pw, cancel the URL input, click on the list icon, click all categories and search.

• warr
    warr
    Community Member

Also confirmed that it does still behave that way if I kill the bg app. On a iPhone with latest update.

Works fine on ipad. Should I deleted and reinstall?

• Hi @warr,

Generally, killing the app is supposed to reset the app's state, so there would be nothing to restore from, and thus it should've help.

Please don't reinstall just yet, we're trying to figure out how to reproduce it on our own devices. Can you copy a generic URL from another app and then open 1Password, does it prompt to ask you if you want to open it in 1Browser at all?

• warr
    warr
    Community Member

@miket yes, I copy URLs in Mail and open in 1pw all the time. Always prompts me to open it. It's probably my most used feature. To a lesser extend Safari.

• MikeT
    edited May 2014

Hi @warr,

Okay, so does 1Password restore you to the blank 1Browser view when you don't have a URL in clipboard?

If we can figure out the precise steps you're taking to reproduce this issue, the sooner we can figure out where in the code this could be triggered.

• warr
    warr
    Community Member

@miket well, I wasn't thinking about it yesterday, so I updated the beta. It now seems to be fixed. No URL in the clipboard and it opens to home/favorites. If URL in the clipboard it prompts me to go to it, but is over the favorites and if I say no It takes me to favorites.

Last week when you asked, I remember that killing the app took me to a blank 1pw browser when I had no URL in the clipboard. It was always a blank browser, regardless.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the delayed responses. I changed emails but forgot to update this one.

• That's great, I'm glad it is working much better. Please keep us informed of any changes.

Thanks!

• warr
    warr
    Community Member

Ok I'm smoking crack. The problem is when I do have a URL in the clipboard.

I just opened 1pw, URL in clipboard. It opens in browser mode, browser is blank. It asked if I want to open the URL. I don't, so I click cancel. It's still in browser mode, cursor in the URL bar and keyboard up. I have to hit cancel again to go to a bare browser. Then I have to hit the layered meat stack to go to passwords list.

Not sure if that is a bug, a UI issue, or enhancement.

Let me clear the clipboard and see what happens. Although I'm pretty sure that happened regardless of URL in clipboard before.

• warr
    warr
    Community Member

No URL in the clipboard, taken to the favorites on a fresh launch. Exited the app, didn't kill it, came back and same (favorites).

Went into the browser to google.com, no URL in the clipboard. Exited the app, didn't kill it, came back, it was in browser mode on google.

Exited again, copied a URL, came back. 1pw was still browser mode on the google page. It did prompte to ope. The URL.

I wonder what will happen in a few hours, though, if not using 1pw. Will the cache reset and I'll be taken to browser, but with no page and I'm having to hit cancel 3 times.

• Hi @warr,

Just out of curiosity, do you have multiple vaults in the iOS app that you switch often to? I wonder what happens if you switch vaults, does that increase the odds of the blank 1Browser view?

• warr
    warr
    Community Member

@MikeT‌ I do have multiple vaults, but not on this ios device. Must be contained to only my mac? No idea.

• @warr‌ If you haven't added additional vaults on your iOS device then they will just be contained to your Mac. Have you had anymore problems with the app starting in the browser view?

• warr
    warr
    Community Member

@MrRooni‌ yes, still seems intermittent. I'm in the app now, coming from Mail with a link copied. I haven't used the app today, but not sure if it was in the background. App opens to blank browser and asks if I want to go to the URL, happened to be this discussion ;)

Based on questions from @MikeT, I also exited, killed the app in bg, went to Mail, copied some plain text from the body of the email, opened the app. Also a blank browser, but no prompt.

I tried similar test: copied a pw from within 1pw, exited, killed the app, opened it again. I was taken to the main hierarchy list.

• This almost sounds like it could be a bug in our state restoration code. I'll open a bug in our bug tracker. Thanks for all the information, @warr‌ .

• warr
    warr
    Community Member

@MrRooni‌ Of course! I noticed somethig weird on iPad version, which I thought working fine before.

After not using the app for a few days I had to open to retrieve a pw. No URL in clip board. It did open up to the blanket browser.

I'm pretty sure the last time I used it on iPad was for the web. I don't know for certain that the app bg process would have been killed, but I doubt it.

• Yea, it's starting to sound like a state restoration bug as MrRooni mentioned. It got confused trying to restore to the previous tabs but we don't support restoring tabs in 1Browser right now, so that's likely the cause. We'll get it fixed one way or the other (like supporting tabs restoration, which might fix this).

This discussion has been closed.