Can I still download 1Password 3?

Options
mikemoreau
mikemoreau
Community Member
edited April 2014 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi have 1Password 3 installed on my iMac and would like to add it to a new macbook. Can I still download version 3? All I see on the site is version 4.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mikemoreau‌,

Here is the link to the legacy versions of 1Password 3. I hope this helps, please let me know if you run into any snags while installing. :)

• rstmart
    rstmart
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,
    I recently purchase 1Password4 for Mac (old macbook 2007+ new macpro 2014) and ios, but have found that I have same problems as others in that my old macbook (2007) is running 10.6.8 and i cant upgrade software,when i've tried to install 1Password4 it says its not compatible. Please can you add a legacy key for 1Password3 to my account and point me in the direction of where I can download a legacy copy ? Thank you.

Regards

Richard

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rstmart,

The link to legacy versions of 1Password is here: legacy versions of 1Password 3. I've located your purchase information in our back office records using the email addressed linked to your forum account and I've added a 1Password 3 for Mac license to your account. You should see the details in an email soon.

Here's our 'Getting Started' Guide for 1Password 3: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/getting_started.html

• rstmart
    rstmart
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, thank you ! Have downloaded and installed on old MacBook. I'm hoping you can advise me on something else (sorry!) I've managed to get icloud syncing between my Mac Pro and iPhone running 1Pw4 is there a way to sync similarly with the old MacBook running 1Pw3 or do I have to move ALL devices over to Dropbox syncing and if so do you advise this ? Thanks. Regards Rich

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rstmart‌

Unfortunately, iCloud sync was only introduced in 1Password 4 for Mac, so it is not an option for 1Password 3. Dropbox is going to be your best option here.

To get that set up, first we'll disable iCloud on all devices:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle iCloud to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Follow the instructions here to set up Dropbox syncing in 1Password 4

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• The instructions for 1Password 3 are here

To set up sync with Dropbox in 1Password 4.5, please follow these instructions:

• Go to Settings > Sync
    • Select Dropbox
    • 1Password will switch to a Dropbox screen asking you to allow 1Password to access your information stored in Dropbox
    • Allow
    • In 1Password > Settings > Sync
    • Select 'Sync with Dropbox'
    • Select the appropriate Dropbox account (if you have Dropbox for Business there may be multiple options here)
    • 1Password will find your available keychains in Dropbox
    • Select the appropriate keychain
    • The 'Last Sync' option will display an 'In progress' message until sync has completed

I know that's a lot of instructions, so please let me know if you have any questions or run into any snags in the process!

• rstmart
    rstmart
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan, you confirmed what I suspected. In your opinion what is the most secure place iOS sync/ Keychain or Dropbox to use? Am reluctant to 'roll back' to Dropbox if this is second best to iCloud sync and would just 'retire' the old MacBook sooner !

Regards

Richard

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Richard ( @rstmart‌ )

Well, if you need a good excuse to retire your old MacBook ... I certainly don't want to deny you that! However, the important thing to note here is that the security of your data does not depend on the security of either Dropbox or iCloud. Your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through the following article.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

http://blog.agilebits.com/tag/cryptography_/

I hope this helps to answer your questions, but we're here if you need any clarification! :)

• rstmart
    rstmart
    Community Member
    Options

I managed to setup Dropbox across my devices so the Macbook gets to 'live to fight another day' ! I read thru the very helpful articles you pointed out am now more than happy with security that Dropbox has when integrated with 1Password. Like the flexibility of being able to sync cross-platform, for future proofing (looking to get Android phone) and use Windows at work. Final bit of reassurance was statement that Agilebits staff use Dropbox syncing themselves ! Am slowly changing all my online passwords as I go along,anticipate this will take some time ! One thing I haven't managed to get to work 100% of the time is the saving of logins / passwords thru the mini-browser extensions in Safari. I tend to have to go in after/again and 'manually' configure saved data as it initially ends up pointing to wrong page on the website etc I am pretty sure its that way / at which point I try to save the data into 1Pw. Do you have another link to a walkthru on steps one follows on navigating to an old site for first time with browser extension, entering old password, changing old password with recommendation from 1Pw, saving this as a Login etc ? Also sometimes when I click the login details in the minibrowser of Safari it opens Firefox ? Thanks for all your help Megan and sorry for all the questions !

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rstmart‌

I'm so glad to hear that you're starting to get things sorted out. It is a bit of a learning curve to get used to this new way of working, but once you're used to it, it will make things so much easier for you!

Here are the basic steps for changing a password, if you already have the Login saved in 1Password.

• Go to the "change password" page of the website (this location depends on the way the website is set up, but it's often under the account settings section).
    • Copy and paste your current password from 1Password into the ‘current password’ field (if there is one)
    • When you are presented with the fields to change your password, you can click the 1Password extension, and choose the password generator (the icon that looks like a combination lock) to create a custom random strong password.
    • Click the Fill button.
    • After filling it on the webpage, 1Password should then prompt you to update your saved login for this site.
    • If 1Password does not prompt you to update your Login, that strong password you just generated has been saved to your clipboard by default when you clicked 'Fill', so all you have to do is open your Login in 1Password and paste the new password in the appropriate field!
    • Please note, that new password is also saved under your Passwords tab automatically.

Now, if you haven't already saved the details of this Login in 1Password, you would see a prompt on this page to 'save a new Login', rather than update. And then 1Password would save the account-change URL instead of the Login URL. So, for a situation where you are navigating to a site for the first time with 1Password, I would save your details when you first Login, and then update the details (as in my instructions above). Here's how to manually save a new Login:

• Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary.
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

I hope this helps, but we're always here if you have any further questions!

• rstmart
    rstmart
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan all your help really appreciated !

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rstmart,

We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.