Syncing 1Password Pro 3.5.2 and iPhone 4

jvputten
jvputten
Community Member
Hi everyone,

I’m using 1Password v. 3.4.2 for Mac in OS 10.6.4, and just installed 1Password Pro v. 3.5.2 on my new iPhone 4.

I’m unable to figure out how to set up my iPhone to sync via Wi-Fi with my desktop software which are on the same network. I reviewed this forum and the tutorial webpage located at:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/sync_to_iphone.html

However, the iPhone 1Password screenshots must be from an earlier version, because I don’t have a ‘More’ menu option at the bottom of the iPhone screen. In addition, I was able to navigate in 1Password Pro to turn on Wi-Fi syncing on the iPhone and open 1Password on my Mac, but I don’t know how or where to complete the on-screen instructions to (2) ‘Enter the Authorization Codes.’ No Sync icon appears in the left margin of the 1Password desktop application.

Are updated instructions for setting up syncing between the latest versions of the Mac desktop and iPhone software available on this website?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• jvputten
    jvputten
    Community Member
    UPDATE: Somehow it mysteriously presented the auth code boxes, synced with the desktop app and appeared in the left margin. Never mind.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi jvputten,

Welcome to the forums! I'm glad everything got sorted out for you. Just in case anyone else is wondering, you can reset syncing by removing your device from the SYNC section of the sidebar in 1Password for Mac and turning Wi-Fi syncing OFF and then ON again on your iOS device. Then just tap "Allow New Connections" and enter the authorization codes on your Mac. :-)
  • pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    khad wrote:

... Just in case anyone else is wondering, you can reset syncing by removing your device from the SYNC section of the sidebar in 1Password for Mac and turning Wi-Fi syncing OFF and then ON again on your iOS device. Then just tap "Allow New Connections" and enter the authorization codes on your Mac. :-)

A follow-up question - When I've followed this procedure, most of the time I do not get the Authorization window, from 1Password Desktop, to pop-up. Why?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We use the Bonjour service Apple includes in OS X and a restart is unfortunately necessary sometimes.

Try removing the device from the sidebar in 1Password for Mac, and then restart your machine. While it is restarting, you can disable and reenable Wi-Fi syncing on your iPhone. Wait until 1Password is up and running on your Mac and then tap "Allow New Connections."

You should only have to do this when first setting up your device. Future syncing will take place automatically when running both iOS and Mac apps on the same Wi-Fi network.

I hope that helps.
  • pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    khad wrote:

Try removing the device from the sidebar in 1Password for Mac, and then restart your machine. While it is restarting, you can disable and reenable Wi-Fi syncing on your iPhone. Wait until 1Password is up and running on your Mac and then tap "Allow New Connections."

You should only have to do this when first setting up your device. Future syncing will take place automatically when running both iOS and Mac apps on the same Wi-Fi network.

I did as suggested. The initial sync resulted in the sync process simply continuing (1PW Desktop locks one out; so, the only option to stop is to turn off WiFi on iPhone app). Subsequently, I attempted sync from Desktop app manually (selected new, iPhone 4 from list on Desktop app), which resulted in all items on iPhone being deleted. When I then selected "replace all information on iPhone," a subsequent manual sync (pressing Sync) added everything, except Notes, back on iPhone. ...Additional detail: Subsequent, manual Sync still did not add Notes. So at present and short of uninstalling 1PW Pro or attempting again the instructions above, I have no clue what else to do.

Any ideas? ...Only issues I've ever had with Desktop or iPhone app has been since switching from my 3GS to a 4 (iOS 4.1). Let me add that my current 1PW app versions (both on my MBP and previous 3GS) worked just fine. (BTW, sync between my iPad's 1PW Pro and my MBP 1PW Desktop works just fine.)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We have fixed some Wi-Fi related issues in the latest beta. Please give it a try and let me know if you are still having the trouble:

1. Download 1Password from our web site:
    http://aws.cachefly.net/aws/dmg/1PW3/English/1Password-3.4.3.BETA-2.zip
    2. Quit your web browser and 1Password, if it's running
    3. Open your Applications folder and drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Install the new copy of 1Password you just downloaded
    5. Run 1Password and then your web browser

Your information is stored in a data file separate from the application, so it will not be harmed by this procedure.

Thanks! :-)
  • pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    khad wrote:

We have fixed some Wi-Fi related issues in the latest beta. Please give it a try and let me know if you are still having the trouble...

I'll be glad to try it; however, I can't do so until Saturday morning. ...I'll update then.

Thank you. :)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I anxiously await the results! :-)
  • pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    khad wrote:

...the results...

Initial result - the Beta appears to syncing normally. I have now tested the Beta on 2 Macs (2d one is a Mac mini with 10.6.4) and my iPhone 4, and both syncs appear to have run normally (the 2d even prompted me with Conflict Resolution).

Over the next several days, I'll run several more syncs and let you know.

I'm keeping the 1PW Beta on both my Macs. :D

I've also synced, via the Beta, with my iPad. Normal sync. :)
  • pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    pbGuy wrote:

Initial result - the Beta appears to syncing normally. ...

A follow-up test, where I made a change within 1PW on my MBP and attempted to sync with my iPhone - I had to manually toggle the WiFi button within the 1PW Pro app to initiate the sync - which then, completes correctly.

So, this for follow-up test, the sync did not automatically initiate (with WiFi pre-set to ON within the 1PW Pro app). I waited for about 20 seconds with nothing happening.

The sync does automatically initiate, and complete correctly, when syncing to my iPad (iOS 3.2.2).

So, if I have a sense that there's something within iOS 4.1 that's slightly out of sorts with between 1PW Desktop (3.4.3 Beta) and the iPhone 1PW Pro 3.5.2 app on an iPhone 4 (4.1).
  • pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    pbGuy wrote:

So, this for follow-up test, the sync did not automatically initiate (with WiFi pre-set to ON within the 1PW Pro app). I waited for about 20 seconds with nothing happening. ...

The last test-sync, I activated 1PW Pro (on my iPhone) from iPhone's desktop, not the multi-tasking tray, and the automatic sync worked just as one expects. ...My previous attempt at syncing, with my MBP, was by activating 1PW Pro on my iPhone from the multi-tasking tray.
  • pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    I've installed the 1PW Desktop 3.4.3-Beta 3, on both of my Macs, and so far, sync continues working well.

As I've just started using Dropbox, I'll soon adjust my sync through it as using a cloud server makes a great deal of sense. ...A tip of the hat to all at Agile for continued innovation. :D
  • pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    pbGuy wrote:

...just started using Dropbox, I'll soon adjust my sync through it..

I like using the Dropbox approach a lot! Great for multiple devices. :D
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the kind words. We are so glad you enjoy it! I can't imagine going back to Wi-Fi syncing. :-)
  • Guillaume Daudin
    Guillaume Daudin
    Community Member
    Hi,

I have the same problem : I am trying to set-up Wifi Sync between an Iphone and my mac, but I have no "Sync" icon in my desktop 1Password application that I could click to enter my Authorization codes.

And dropbox sync gives me an error message regarding the master password, even though I have modified it both on the desktop and the iphone and I really believe they are the same...

I have installed the newest beta : it did not change the problem :(

Can you help ?

Thanks !
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi Guillaume,

Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry you are having this problem.

Double-check your passwords. Your 1Password for iPhone master password and 1Password for Mac master password may be different. They may also be (and should be for security's sake) different than your Dropbox password. You can test your Dropbox password on the Dropbox website. There were some reports a while ago of special characters giving problems in master passwords but those should have been resolved.

Can you tell me how far you are able to get in the process? Do you have the Dropbox application installed and logged in on your Mac? Is your data file in the Dropbox folder already? If so, could you double-click it in Finder to ensure that it is really running from that data file?

Please let me know how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.