• PhilippeAG
    PhilippeAG
    1Password Alumni

Native chrome, 1Password in Wine

• fungku
    fungku
    Community Member
    edited April 2014

I love 1Password but I'm stuck with Lastpass for now because a lot of my time when working is on linux.

I really prefer 1Password + dropbox and would love to see linux version.

• Jasper
    edited April 2014

Thanks for the feedback, @fungku! I've added your vote for a Linux version.

• fungku
    fungku
    Community Member

Thanks. If it matters, linux flavor is Ubuntu.

• You're welcome! :)

• spork
    spork
    Community Member

Begging you for a Linux client. I'm on Ubuntu 13.10 and as of this morning I can't use 1Password with it because I started getting the "can't access key data file" message for encryptionKeys.js when I try to use 1PasswordAnywhere. The proper clients on Mac and iOS work fine.

• Your vote had been added, @spork. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• ChaChaFance
    ChaChaFance
    Community Member

Another vote for 1Password for Linux.......... paying customer who can't access passwords on Ubuntu :(

• Marc Chabot
    Marc Chabot
    Community Member

I just installed 1Password for Windows Beta under WINE (Arch Linux) and downloaded Firefox extension beta (4.2.0.b16), but I get a error: Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (onepassword4-extension) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

Is the Firefox extension supposed to work or only the Chrome one?

I'm using beta version of Firefox (Aurora) but also tried with regular Firefox and same problem.

Thanks for your help.

• Fredrik_Lindseth
    Fredrik_Lindseth
    Community Member

Linuxsupport would be fantastic and it would be great if you could make this happen.

• Your votes had been added. Thanks for the feedback!

• PhilippeAG
    PhilippeAG
    1Password Alumni

Firefox is a bit of a problem...

Before all this make sure you disabled browser validation. You need to have 1Password in WINE started, go to Help > Restart 1Password Helper. After all this, you can start firefox

• CNek
    CNek
    Community Member

I second that ! A firefox/chrome and stand-alone app for Ubuntu would be awesome !

• Thanks for the feedback! Your vote has been added. :)

• Milton Bliss
    Milton Bliss
    Community Member

Linux please. I use Mac, Windows, Linux, and iPhone. My Linux machines get MUCH less use because I'd have to lookup a password, rather than just use the browser extension icon. Please make a Linux version.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know that you too would like to see a full-featured Linux version of 1Password, Milton! In the meantime, you can use the browser extensions in conjunction with 1Password 4 for Windows (currently in beta) under WINE. I hope that helps a little bit. :)

• Gyran
    Gyran
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

@Milton Bliss‌ or you can use 1password anywhere if you are using chrome. Be sure to read the discussion to know the risks..

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member

Now that I have dipped into Linux as a replacement for an old XP system, I too would love to continue having access to the 1Password application in this new (to me) environment. So please add my vote. ;) I have gone with Mint + Cinnamon in case that matters toward the voting.

@khad has said this many times before in this and other threads, but until now it didn't impact me that I didn't know what to do with it.

1Password 4 for Windows (currently in beta) under WINE.

Can someone please share a sequenced list of steps to actually accomplish this for 1Password? I don't want to become a WINE expert just for this one application if I can help it, and I'm sure it would be nice for others interested in the same thing to see it fleshed out as a specific procedure for our favorite product. No implication of warranty or support for the steps would be needed.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thus far it has been left as an exercise for the reader since there are so many different distros (not to mention package management systems). I'll see if I can get something put together. I suspect we may not have the cycles to devote to a tutorial for an unsupported configuration, but I'll add it to my list.

In the meantime, it would be awesome if someone in the community could share what steps they took. Even a rough outline could help get the ball rolling for others (including us). :)

• TitiMoby
    TitiMoby
    Community Member

I'll give a look at the Wine trick, but a full Linux 1Password AND browser plugin has my full +1

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thank you, @TitiMoby! I'll make sure your vote is counted. :)

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member

Since no one stepped right up I'm working up a rough draft now… I should have something soon.

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

Keep in mind that I am using Linux Mint, and that your situation may be different than mine. Different software packages come pre-installed with different Linux distributions. The first step is where that will matter the most.

1. Install Wine using your normal package manager or download and install from WineHQ downloads if you’re interested in the very latest stable or beta builds of Wine.

I used one of my built-in package managers ("Menu > Administration > Software Manager") to install the wine package. A package called wine-gecko will also need to be installed to use 1Password for Windows. Wine will offer to do this for you if is needed, but it is recommended by the folks at WineHQ that you use your package manager instead if your default Linux build doesn’t already have wine-gecko (or any other pre-requisites) installed. So I installed wine-gecko at this point as well.

1. Using a web browser in your Linux environment, download 1Password for Windows from Download AgileBits Software for the latest released version or follow the instructions given for downloading if you’re a member of the 1Password 4 for Windows beta group.

2. In your Downloads folder, locate and right-click on the downloaded 1Password .exe file and select “Open With > Wine Windows Program Loader”.

If this is the first time you’ve used Wine on this system you’ll likely see one or more window pop up telling you about setting up Wine, etc.

1. If all the requisite packages have been installed you will now see the 1Password Setup Wizard window. Continue installing 1Password for Windows as if you were on a Windows system.

2. On the Desktop is the 1Password key icon that when double-clicked should launch 1Password for Windows… running on/under/in Wine.

For me, an unusable “1Password.lnk” icon was also placed on the Linux Desktop. This was likely caused by one of the Setup Wizard checkboxes that I enabled as I went through the steps.

You should now have a functioning 1Password for Windows application. When you first run it you'll need to tell it where your 1Password data is stored, and setup any other preferences you're interested in. Use of 1Password in your Linux web browsers won't work, but at least your data is accessible through the application. I see that with 1Password 4 for Windows beta there is some discussion about how to enable the web browser extension (again unsupported), but I haven't tried it.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@MartyS, you rock! Thank you for posting that. I'm sure it will help a lot of other folks. :)

• hhmue
    hhmue
    Community Member

+1 for 1Password for Linux

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you are interested in this, @hhmue‌! :)

• igel
    igel
    Community Member

In my experience Linux users don't pay for software, so...

I have a note that https://github.com/plaguemorin/secret-archer is a compatible PyGObject/GTK3 application, but the page has disappeared. Anybody know anything?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Our data format is open for a reason. We want happy users not trapped ones. :)

There are a number of community- and user-created apps and utilities, but, we can't officially recommend entering your Master Password into anything other than 1Password.

From our "You have secrets; we don’t. Why our data format is public" blog post:

We have to advise you to never enter your 1Password Master Password into anything that isn’t 1Password. We aren’t casting aspersions on the integrity or competence of any developers, but we simply can’t advise otherwise.

I'd encourage you to read the full post if you haven't yet.

• Fredrik Alm
    Fredrik Alm
    Community Member

1Password for Linux would be very interesting as we could then share a db company-wide, the thing is that marketing and sales are primarily mac users, r&d use windows and IT uses Linux. And IT has a say in what password manager gets selected. I think you would make a quite a few extra sales on win/mac as well by offering a linux client.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Good point, Fredrik. I think that may be true in a number of organizations. Thanks for mentioning that.

This discussion has been closed.