Can't log into THIS site with 1P [Must show the site's Login form first before filling in]

Options
lbdina
lbdina
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

This seems odd. My iPad logs into this discussion website(discussions.agilebits.com) fine, but my Mac does not. I have my Mac and my iPad synced thru Dropbox. They both have identical User ID, PW, website, etc. In fact, I created the login item on my Mac and my iPad obtained this info from Dropbox sync.

When I try to login with 1P from my Mac, I am taken to the site, but nothing happens. I do have "Keep signed in" check marked. If I manually login to your discussion forum, I can paste User ID and PW from iP and it works fine, but it will not log in automatically.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Lou

Comments

• lbdina
    lbdina
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, now I can't log into discussions.agilebits.com site automatically from either my Mac or my iPad. I have to manually sign in, then copy and paste my long PW from 1P. I just updated to v4.4, but that didn't help at all. Hmmm…makes me very nervous about changing any of my critical passwords until it is working properly. I'm having a lot of difficulty with 1Password. Some is my lack of knowledge, but it seems rather buggy to me.

• lbdina
    lbdina
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I thought 1P would open this website directly when I saved my login information. I have since discovered that it only takes me to the 'discussions' page. Then I need to manually click the SignIn button with my mouse to open the screen to login. Once the screen appears for User ID and PW, then I can open 1P using the key on the browser bar in Safari, and click on the login name again. That works.

So, must the actual LogIn window be open for 1P to work? Even though I saved after my first login using 1P when the message came up to save?

Can somebody verify if this is the correct procedure? Thanks,

Lou

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ibdina,

So, must the actual LogIn window be open for 1P to work? Even though I saved after my first login using 1P when the message came up to save?

Yes, that is correct. 1Password can't see those fields when it is trying to fill. When you click to open the Login form, those fields are then visible for 1Password, and lets it fill in.

It is also true for when you're saving a new Login item, those fields were already visible to you when you were typing in the username and password.

This is true for any sites that use these popup or popover designs.

As long as they're hidden from you, it is usually also hidden from 1Password.

If you want to automate the Go and Fill for this forum, I'd suggest editing your Login item to use this address: http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin

That should let 1Password open and fill in for you on your iOS devices and your computers.

• lbdina
    lbdina
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, MikeT.

I understand now. It takes a few days to get the hang of how 1Password works. I'll try the website address that takes me to the login screen and see how that works.

Paypal uses a similar arrangement to your discussions forum. You have to click their login button to display they login screen. However, even when that is displayed, 1password won't fill in the information. I have to manually copy the password, paste it into Paypal, then manually click the enter key. This is on my ipad using 1Browser.

Lou

• lbdina
    lbdina
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @‌MikeT

"If you want to automate the Go and Fill for this forum, I'd suggest editing your Login item to use this address: http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin"

That worked great!

I noticed that Paypal (mentioned in my previous post) displays a different opening page depending on whether I am using my Mac or my iPad. Paypal on the Mac (Safari) displays user ID and password fields on their opening page, and automatic login works perfectly when using my Mac. Not so good with the iPad.

My iPad shows a smaller opening page, which does NOT display the user ID and password. I then click the login button to display a small user ID and password page. But, 1Password's mini app in 1Browser does not fill in the information. I have to manually copy and paste from 1Password into these fields, then manually click the login button. Is there an easy solution so 1Password automatically signs me in from both the Mac and my iPad?

Thanks again,

Lou

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Lou,

I'm so glad to hear that Mike's solution helped you out here! Now, for the PayPal login, please try saving a new Login like this:

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary.
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

This should save the URL correctly. I tested this on iOS and it opened the log in page and filled my information correctly - let me know how it works for you!

This discussion has been closed.