Problems upgrading to version 4[Browsers retained 1P3 extensions, need to remove it and install 1P4]

JohnH123
JohnH123
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

I've been running version 3.9.20 for some time. a few days ago I upgraded my iMac to mavericks, and then downloaded the software updates, including 1Password 4. The App Store shows version 4.3 installed, while 1Password on my iMac shows version 3.9.20. I also got the little red icon showing "1Password Extension Issue". I followed the instructions, and when I added a temporary login item to 1Password in safari, it did not show up in the main program, as stated needs to happen to sync with the new version. Sometime later with no obvious action on my part, 1Password on my computer now shows version 4.3.

What should I do?

Also, I will be updating my wifes iMac (exact same setup as mine) to mavericks soon, what should I do to make the 1Password update go smoothly?

Comments

• JohnH123
    JohnH123
    Community Member

I would greatly appreciate some help. I'm still getting the "1Password Extension Issue" message, and unable to get a temporary login from safari to show in the main program.

• Hi @JohnH123,

You have to remove the older 1Password 3 extensions and then install the 1Password 4 extensions for your browsers. I'm surprised the 1Password 4's mini didn't prompt to let you know this and it would've provided you the instructions.

Before we proceed, can you confirm that beside the one in the extension, has 1Password 4 picked up all of your data from the previous 3.9.x app?

If no, do not proceed and let me know.

If yes, here's how to upgrade your extensions:

1. First, copy the temporary Login you saved in the extension and save it manually in the main 1Password 4. 1Password 3 extensions don't sync to 1Password 4. So, I want to make sure you back this up before we proceed.
    2. Now, remove 1Password 3 extensions from your browsers
    3. Restart your browsers and then open this page in your browser to install 1Password 4 extension: http://www.agilebits.com/browsers/index.html
    4. Restart your browsers once more and you should be all set now.

I hope that helps!

• JohnH123
    JohnH123
    Community Member

When I open up the main 1Password, all my old data is there. All my old data is also on the 1Password in safari. Is that what you mean to confirm 1Password 4 has picked up all my data from the previous version?

• Hi @JohnH123,

Yes, 1Password 3 contains its own local database that it syncs with 1Password 3. So, if you remove the extension, its local extension data (doesn't affect 1Password 3's data) will also be removed. So, we're being very careful here not to remove your last resort in case 1Password 4 itself doesn't have any data.

You can proceed now to remove the 1Password 3 extension and install the 1Password 4 extension instead.

• JohnH123
    JohnH123
    Community Member

Great, it worked. I'm going to update my wife's iMac to mavericks, what should I do to avoid 1Password install issues? She also currently runs 1Password 3. Should I remove the browser extensions before I download the 1Password update?

• Hi @JohnH123,

No, just like what you did. Install the 1Password 4 app first because the first important task is to make sure 1Password 4 has all the data from 1Password 3.

Once you confirm that, then you can proceed with removing the 1Password 3 extensions and then installing 1Password 4 extensions.

This discussion has been closed.