1password anywhere and/or extension for Chrome on Chromebook not working

I posted this in the Mac area because I am a paid 1PW for Mac user. I haven't really gotten any help so I'm posting again here. Staff please move or delete whichever is the wrong post in the wrong area.

I've been using 1PW for Mac for a while now and love it. I got a new Chromebook a few days ago & got caught in the Dropbox issue which I've read about here. That's apparently fixed now. I have always synched my 1PW data to Dropbox. Anyway, now I can go to Dropbox on the Chromebook and click on the 1pw agilekeychain, and log in to 1PW no problem. I put the extension on Chrome and clicked on the key & put in my master PW and all I get is "connecting..." with increasing numbers. I read something similar on here recently and you were able to help this person but I couldn't get this to work for myself. Do you have enough info here to help me? Do I need to buy something else? If so, what?

The version of the extension that I was trying is 3.9.21.90 - that's what is showing in the Chrome store. If there's a later version I don't know how to get it.

This is the thread that helped the other person with this issue last year. It didn't seem to help me though.

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/13316/1password-3-extension-for-chrome-running-on-a-samsung-chromebook

In the Chrome store I saw many people complaining about it not working for them either. I really want to try to get this working by Monday, if possible.

I also tried the 1Password Anywhere Extension which was written by someone else. It won't accept my master password so it isn't working for me either.

Please help, start from the beginning as I'm clearly confused and need simple instructions. Thanks very much! All I want to do is have 1PW perform on my Chromebook as it performs on my Macs.

Comments

• weavermedia
    weavermedia
    Community Member

Hey @squiddz‌ - the way I use 1PasswordAnywhere on my Chromebook is not with extensions but just browser tabs.

Open a browser tab for Dropbox, then navigate to Apps > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain and then double-click on 1Password.html to open it in a new tab. That displays the login screen for 1PA which you can use to retrieve all your passwords.

1PA seems to be still in it's early stages but it's better than nothing when using a Chromebook :-). Remember that you can't install native apps on CB so the browser extensions that you use on your desktop won't work.

• weavermedia
    weavermedia
    Community Member

I think this is the official doc for 1PasswordAnywhere:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html

• squiddz
    squiddz
    Community Member

Thanks - I have already been able to do just what you suggested, but I thought that the extension would work since its available in the Chrome store. Maybe the ones in the store are just for non-CB users.

Have you tried this, it's the "anywhere" extension I wrote about above?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1passwordanywhere-extensi/mbgijoecaafppmdmlgjpahfhekafldfj

• weavermedia
    weavermedia
    Community Member

I just tried the third-party extension but it wouldn't get past the master password stage. Maybe it has been affected by the recent changes in Dropbox/1Password. I uninstalled it right away because I had to grant it full read/write access to my entire Dropbox which makes me nervous.

I assume this is what Agile Bits will be releasing soon anyway - an Chrome extension that asks for master password, reads from Dropbox then auto-fills form fields. The current 1PA page is clearly a placeholder while they work on something more robust. And they did just complete a massive upgrade to the whole 1P system (Watchtower etc) so maybe Chromebook owners will be the next in line for some Agile love :-) Fingers crossed!

• squiddz
    squiddz
    Community Member

Thanks so much for your help, sounds like you've tried everything I've tried, with the same results.

• weavermedia
    weavermedia
    Community Member

The source code for the third-party extension is hosted on Github so I opened an issue there. The developer was active on it in the last few days so hopefully he'll respond and fix the issue.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @squiddz,

I apologize for the trouble here. Unfortunately, as Khad explains here, the Chrome extension requires the main 1Password app to work. 1PasswordAnywhere is a separate web service that will allow you to view your password database and copy the details you need for logging in to various websites and services. 1PasswordAnywhere does not work with the Chrome extension.

I hope this helps to clear things up, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• weavermedia
    weavermedia
    Community Member

Hey @Megan‌, this particular (third-party) Chrome extension we're talking about isn't looking for the native 1Password app - it's looking at the same 1Password.agilekeychain folder in Dropbox that 1PA uses, it just does it from an extension instead of a browser tab.

It authenticates into that folder and uses the content.js file in combination with the Master Password to auto-fill the password on the page. Probably the same method that 1PA will use when it gets an update.

For reference: https://github.com/Gyran/chrome-1passwordanywhere-extension

• squiddz
    squiddz
    Community Member

Thank you @Megan.

@Weavermedia -Thanks for asking the developer about this. I had tweeted him another question several days ago & he didn't reply but maybe he'll see & respond to your request. I'd love to be able to autofill on my CB!! :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @weavermedia‌ and @squiddz‌

Thanks so much for clarifying. Please note that we do not recommend ever entering your Master Password into a third party app. As our security expert writes:

We have to advise you to never enter your 1Password Master Password into anything that isn’t 1Password. We aren’t casting aspersions on the integrity or competence of any developers, but we simply can’t advise otherwise.

I can't say much about the future of 1PasswordAnywhere, as we make it a point never to make promises on unreleased features, but our developers know this feature could use a bit of a facelift. :)

• weavermedia
    weavermedia
    Community Member

Thanks @Megan, very good advice. I wouldn't normally enter my 1P master password into any third-party apps/extensions but working on a Chromebook and only having access to my passwords through 1PA is such a pain I'm looking for any way to make it easier. Seems like almost every action I take while I'm working is behind a password of some kind - AWS, Heroku, BitBucket, Github, Toggl, Basecamp etc.

@squiddz‌ I've had a response from the extension developer. It seems like it may be an issue with the location of my 1Password.agilekeychain resources in Dropbox. However, given @Megan's advice above, you may not wish to continue trusting a third-party extension with your master password.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @weavermedia,

I understand that 1PasswordAnywhere is not the most handy of services when you rely on it on a daily basis. (Everything does seem to require a password these days!) Of course everyone has to find the balance between convenience and security that best meets their needs. :)

• squiddz
    squiddz
    Community Member

@megan and @weavermedia‌

I think I"ll take megan's advice, just do it the klunky way until 1pw works on my CB like it does on my Macs. Thanks for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @squiddz,

Always happy to help! Please do let us know if you have any further questions. :)

• shaddowman
    shaddowman
    Community Member

Any chance that this is being worked on further? It would be nice if there was a way to do it with an official app from AgileBits.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @shaddowman‌

Thanks for checking in on us! I don't have any updates on 1PasswordAnywhere or Chromebook to announce at this time, but it's great to know that you're interested in 1Password for Chromebook. :)

• BAgile
    BAgile
    Community Member

Just checking in to see if there is any status on Chromebook integration. If not just upvoting.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Sorry @BAgile, there's still no change at all in regards to this matter. For the moment it seems you're still limited to the use of 1PasswordAnywhere. Sorry.

This discussion has been closed.