Syncing problems after 4.4 (Mac) update

FredS
FredS
Community Member
edited May 2014 in iOS

Syncing does not seem to be working after the 4.4 upgrade.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @FredS,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with sync after updating 1Password. Now, I'm going to need a bit more information to help get you sorted out here.

Are you syncing using Dropbox, iCloud or Wi-Fi?

If your iOS device is giving you trouble, the set-up instructions for sync are here: http://www.manula.com/manuals/agilebits/1password-4-for-ios/4/en/topic/welcome-to-1password-for-ios.

Please let me know where in the instructions you are getting tangled up, and we'll go from there! :)

• Michael Shingledecker
    Michael Shingledecker
    Community Member

I too am having the same problem. I noticed the issue when I changed a bunch of my passwords today using 1Password for Mac. I am using iCloud to sync. I disabled sync and re-enabled sync but I'm not having any luck even though the app reports it was synced. Strangely enough when I look at one my items on either my iPad or iPhone, the details of a specific item flashes in and out. I am using 4.5.1.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble getting things synced up. There are a few things that we want to check out first:

• Are you logged in with the same iCloud account on all computers and devices? (If you're like me and somehow have several, this could be where the trouble is coming in!)
    • Is Documents and Data enabled on all computers and devices?

If these things both check out, let's try a full reset of sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

• PeteTh
    PeteTh
    Community Member

My sync to iOS also stopped working after the Mac 4.4 upgrade. After much frustration today, it turned out not be the iOS end, but on the Mac the upgrade had removed the sync to Dropbox for all of my vaults! Re-enabling sync via dropbox for each vault has now got me back to normal. Surprised that this happened without any warning.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PeteTh‌

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here! I can certainly understand why you might feel frustrated here. I'm glad that you were able to get things all synced up though.

If you run into any further snags, don't hesitate to ask - we'd be happy to help!

• Michael Shingledecker
    Michael Shingledecker
    Community Member

Megan:

Are you logged in with the same iCloud account on all computers and devices? YES
    Is Documents and Data enabled on all computers and devices? YES

I followed your advice and it seems to have updated. However, as I mentioned in my previous post, the flashing still exists. When I go to the Folders view, the folders are constantly updating (the swiping up motion on refresh). When I go to Settings -> Sync, the "Last Sync" shows the app is constantly updating. No more than 3 seconds goes by and it syncs again. I don't think it should refresh that often, should it?

This is happening on both my iPhone and iPad.

• Michael, can you send me a Diagnostic Report from your iPhone. In 1Password for iOS tap on Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting > Email Diagnostics. My email address is mrrooni@agilebits.com

Thanks!

• Michael Shingledecker
    Michael Shingledecker
    Community Member

Hi MrRooni, I sent it to you earlier today. Let me know if you did not receive it.

• Thanks Michael, I received your email. We are looking it over internally and will get back to you on it.

• e1op
    e1op
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

i have a problem like this
    my app syncing even in airplane mod !!!!!!!!!!

and its case of Unreliable to sync
    Thanks

• Valleyken
    Valleyken
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

I agree, nothing but a headache since the upgrade.. duplicate documents in attachments. old & updated..
    Passwords not synching correctly.. originally synch using drop box , using iCloud 1 mac 2 iPads not synching correctly.
    wasting too much time on this.
    Well got it synching again by using Dropbox . but now have extra multiple documents.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @e1op,

I'm so sorry to hear you're having trouble here. Unfortunately, I will need a bit more detail in order to get this unreliable sync sorted out for you. Could you please tell me what you are using to keep your devices in sync? I'm also curious what is making you worry that 1Password is syncing in Airplane mode - that certainly shouldn't happen.

Hi @Valleyken‌

I do apologize for the syncing trouble after the upgrade. It is a known issue that attachments deleted on Mac are not properly synced to iOS. Our developers are working to get this fixed as soon as possible! In the meantime, you can tidy up your database a bit by duplicating the entries with attachments. This will copy all the item details except for the attachments (and password history.) Then you can attach the correct attachment, and delete the original entry. I know it's not an ideal solution, but it's an option to keep things organized while our developers work on a proper solution.

If you do run into any further sync issues, please don't hesitate to ask - we'd be happy to help!

• evzx
    evzx
    Community Member

Like Michael, I am too having the flashing text syndrome running version 4.5.1 on my iPhone 5s with iCloud syncing on and iCloud syncing Documents and Data on.

• SouthernSnowLeopard
    SouthernSnowLeopard
    Community Member

Same issue here (flashing text runing v.4.5.1 on my iPhone 4S).

• SouthernSnowLeopard
    SouthernSnowLeopard
    Community Member

Using Dropbox syncing.

• ec120
    ec120
    Community Member

Using the iOS Mac and Windows versions for a while:
    After installing the new version - sync works only between the workstations ( OS 10.9 and Windows ) and between iOS versions ( iPhone & iPad ). But not between iOS and workstations.

• ec120
    ec120
    Community Member

Using Dropbox for sync

• Thanks for the reports everyone. I know what's causing the flickering and I've got an idea of how to fix it.

@Michael Shingledecker‌ I discussed the constant syncing issue with a couple of the other developers and we've got some ideas as to what could be causing it, but nothing conclusive. If you haven't followed Megan's steps above to reset your sync setup I suggest you do that and see what you get.

When doing so please setup syncing from your Mac and then setup syncing on one iOS device. See how things go with the one device before syncing any others. Let us know how this works out.

• Michael Shingledecker
    Michael Shingledecker
    Community Member

MrRooni, I did follow Megan's step earlier. It was after I did it that I noticed the syncing issue. I can do it again in a day or two and let you know if anything changes.

• Thanks Michael, let me know how it shakes out.

• Michael Shingledecker
    Michael Shingledecker
    Community Member

MrRooni, I reset my sync setup on my iPad and it looks like it's working properly. The iPad app reports the last sync was 3 minutes ago so at least it's not trying to sync every few seconds. At this point should I turn on sync for my iPhone as well?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Michael,

I'm so glad to hear that sync is working properly for you on your iPad. Since it is behaving properly on one device, I'm curious to see if it will play nicely on your iPhone as well. Give it a try, but keep an eye on things, and if you notice any odd behaviour, please let us know the steps that led to this (in as much detail as possible) so that we can better track this bug down!

(I'll keep my fingers crossed that things work smoothly for you though!) :)

• Michael Shingledecker
    Michael Shingledecker
    Community Member

I turned sync back on with my iPhone and things seem to be back to normal.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Michael,

I'm so glad to hear that! If you have any further issues, we're here to help. :)

• joefeeney
    joefeeney
    Community Member

I'm having a similar issue in 1Password 4.4 where I can't turn on iCloud syncing, yet my iOS device seems to syncing fine.

To verify I turned off and on iCloud syncing on iOS and everything went fine.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joefeeney‌

That is a strange issue indeed. Let's try resetting sync. The instructions are written above in the thread, but it's a long one, so I won't make you search. Try this:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

• evzx
    evzx
    Community Member

I have reset my iCloud syncing following the steps above several times and though not immediately the syncing issue reappears. Sticking with Dropbox until the issue is resolved, so luckily no loss of functionality, but would prefer iCloud syncing.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @evzx‌

I'm glad to hear you're able to keep things synced up with Dropbox. We'll do our best to get this resolved for you as soon as possible!

This discussion has been closed.