keepassX text file import, no CSV? [see MrC's KeePassX Converter for 1Password 4]

Options
J_schwinn
J_schwinn
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

I'm new to 1password4. I currently use KeepassX (mac) and can only export a txt file, no CSV. I the KB/FAQ doesn't mention Keepass. But, there is a note from 1password3 about an importer for Keepass. Was this importer dropped from Ipassword4?

Comments

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like this is old news...

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/99605#Comment_99605

I will attempt to install 1password3... not sure if there is an upgrade/downgrade path or upgrade importer

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

And a quick follow-

1. I downloaded version 3 - http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/legacy_versions.html

2. worked fine on 10.8.5 - exported 1Password Interchange Format

3. Imported into 1PW4 existing file, no problems, except that I need to spend some time cleaning up my old Keepass file...

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

note - delete the Backup folder in KeepassX before exporting the txt file.

(duplicate the Keepass file before deleting the Backup folder incase you need it later)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @J_schwinn,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get things all sorted out - thanks so much for including your workflow here. We're so glad you've decided to give 1Password a try, please let me know if you run into any snags, I'd be happy to help! :)

• Justin Morehouse
    Justin Morehouse
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased 1Password last week and am still unable to use it. I've read about the work around and can export to CSV via my Windows VM, BUT my passwords have commas in them, so a CSV is useless for me. There has got to be a better way!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Options

CSV isn't useless - it has rules for quoting characters such as comma, double-quote, newline, etc. A good CSV exporter should handle this.

There are a several options. Since KeePassX uses the KeePass 1.x (Classic) database format, you can install KeePass 1.x, import, and then export to CSV. My wife was using eWallet ages ago, and I converted its exported text file using KeePass 1 and one of its eWallet plugins, and imported into KeePass 2, exported, and used 1P3 to import (all cards imported as Secure Notes if I recall correct - I've posted about this somewhere on the forum here, but I can't find it).

KeePassX also exports as XML (via KWallet format). This too shouldn't be too difficult to convert.

This discussion has been closed.