Do I need both the '1Password' and the '1Password 4' folder in Application Support?

Spaceman
Spaceman
Community Member

I'm doing some computer house cleaning in preparation of switching to a new Mac. While looking through my Library folder, I found both a '1Password' and a '1Password 4' folder. Now that I am using 1Password 4, do I still need to keep the '1Password' folder (which I assume was from version 3)? It is right at 1 Gigabyte so it would be nice to reclaim the space if possible.

I'm using version 4 on my iOS devices as well.

Regards,

John

Comments

• Jasper
    edited April 2014

Hi John,

1Password 4 (AgileBits version) stores its data at:
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

The 1Password folder sounds like leftover data from 1Password 3. If you're confident that the 1Password 4 folder has backups of your data (just in case something goes wrong), then you can delete that old folder. :)

• Spaceman
    Spaceman
    Community Member

OK, thanks!

• You're welcome! Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always here to help! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I hope you don't mind my hijacking this thread a little. I've been a user of 1Password v3 and now 1Password v4 (from the mac store). I notice I don't have a 1Password 4 folder so I'm assuming mac store and AgileBits versions store their files in different locations.

What I'm curious about though is I recently discovered that the agilekeychain where I thought my stuff was stored is no longer the case and it's actually all in an sqlite database in the Containers folder. That being the case, what is stored in the Application Support folder now and what would happen if it was deleted?

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited April 2014

If you don't have an 1Password folder in your App Support, and you do have Agile files in a Container you are definitely, as you say, using the MAS version. MAS version does not use App Support.

Check the location of your backup files from the Prefs...should be in the Container also. Assuming everything checks out the 1Password folder in your App Support is old and not being used and could be deleted.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @littlebobbytables,

I hope the information from @mikebore was helpful.

The ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ folder is used by 1Password 3. The ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ folder is used by the Agile Web Store version of 1Password 4, plus the 1Password Troubleshooting utility for version 4 will save the Diagnostic Report it generates in a Diagnostics subfolder there.

Another thing you can do before removing the ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ folder is select the Sync tab in the 1Password 4 Preferences window, check if Folder Sync is configured to sync with a 1Password.agilekeychain that 1Password 3 stored there, and disable syncing with it unless you want it enabled for any reason.

1Password 4 data will always be in its SQLite database, with or without syncing optionally enabled.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

With 1Password 4.4 Agile website version (OS X 10.9.2), I just noticed that in ~/Library/Application Support, I have two folders and subfolders, as below. (Sorry I couldn't get them to format better.)

1Password folder [2.73 GB]
    --1password.agilekeychain; Agent folder; Backups folder; Cache folder; Extensions folder

1Password 4 folder [83 MB]
    --1Password 4 402002; Backups folder; Data folder; License folder; Mustaches-001 folder; Watchtower folder

I had upgraded from 1P 3 several months ago. Is this the way things are supposed to be organized? Should the folders be consolidated?

Thank you,

David

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DavidB,

I've merged your post with a related topic that hopefully answer your questions. To summarize, the Agile Web Store versions of 1Password use these folders and their contents:

Version 3: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password

Version 4: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4

If you have other questions or issues please let us know.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

@sjk,

Thank you--I deleted the 1Password folder, restarted and nothing seems to be amiss.

I don't recall reading about deleting that folder when upgrading from 1Password 3 to 4 though. Unless it is in the instructions and I missed it, maybe it would be a good idea to add it.

David

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DavidB,

We don't generally suggest removing the 1Password 3 data folder after upgrading to 1Password 4 because it can contain the 1Password.agilekeychain and backups that may still have value, at least temporarily. However, some post-upgrade instructions that include ways/warnings for handling that folder seems like a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. ;)

• TobyG
    TobyG
    Community Member

Hi there,

I´m a little confused about the file and data structure after installing 1Password 4 (having used 1Password 3 before, on MacOS 10.8) - and as I´d like to really understand what´s going on, especially with a software as important as 1P is for me, I´ll try to find answers by discussing my points here (please excuse the long post and my many questions):

1. After the upgrade I find the following two folders side by side: Macintosh HD/user//Library/Application Support/1Password and Macintosh HD/user//Library/Application Support/1Password 4.
      Is it safe to completely remove the first of them or are there any files still needed by 1Password 4? As far as I see there should be nothing essential there after successfully having set up the database in 1Password 4. What still makes me unsure is that, according to its file date, the 1Password.agilekeychain within the ...Application Support/1Password folder seems to be updated even after not using 1Password 3 any longer (I didn´t uninstall it yet, however). Looking into the MacOS Activity Monitor I also found the old 1PasswordAgent.app running in the background alongside 1Password mini. When opening the main app of 1Password 4, the Agent seems to be killed, however.

2. Can I consider the .1p4_zip backup files the equivalent to the former .agilekeychain_zip backups, and do these files contain a complete and fully functional data set of my 1Password vault(s)? From what I understand, all of the current data in 1Password 4 is saved in OnePassword.sqlite, of which the .1p4_zips are merely steps back in time so-to-speak, but apart from this are the same format and contain the same set of information, right?

3. The folder sync function is meant to keep a remote copy of the OnePassword.sqlite data up-to-date but is saved in 1Password.agilekeychain format, is that correct? I´m wondering about the fact that this file (output in some folder of my choice as defined in 1Password´s Preferences) is only less then a tenth in size compared to my 1Password.agilekeychain file within the "old" folder structure at Macintosh HD/user//Library/Application Support/1Password - are the old and the new .agilekeychain format two different things or need I worry about one including significantly more information than the other? Speaking of file size, my .sqlite and my .1p4_zip files all are much smaller than the .agilekeychain and .agilekeychain_zip files of 1Password 3, but I assume this to be normal, ok?

4. The output of the backup files can absolutely not be set to any other folder than its default of .../Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/, right? I´d really like to automatically have them anywhere else in order to be included in some other backup routine of my important files. Feels a little awkward having some of the most relevant personal data scattered in various complicated subfolder structures and having to find and collect them each from their respective places when needed someday for whatever reason.

5. Wifi sync of data between the main app, iPad and iPhone in 1Password can only be triggered manually each time I wanna make sure every device has all of the current information, did I understand that correctly? I imagine this having to do with security issues (which always has to have top priority for sure) but in my daily workflow would be much less comfortable than in 1Password 3.

Any hints and clarifications are very much appreciated - thanks in advance!
    Toby

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TobyG,

After the upgrade I find the following two folders side by side: Macintosh HD/user//Library/Application Support/1Password and Macintosh HD/user//Library/Application Support/1Password 4. Is it safe to completely remove the first of them or are there any files still needed by 1Password 4?

The '1Password' folder is used by 1Password 3. But as @sjk mentions above, we don't generally recommend deleting the 1Password folder, as it may contain backups or other important data that could be useful in a pinch. We hope you don't need it, but if you do ... it's certainly not a bad thing to keep around.

Can I consider the .1p4_zip backup files the equivalent to the former .agilekeychain_zip backups, and do these files contain a complete and fully functional data set of my 1Password vault(s)?

Yes. The 1p4_zip backup files will hold backups of your entire 1Password database.

this file (output in some folder of my choice as defined in 1Password´s Preferences) is only less then a tenth in size compared to my 1Password.agilekeychain file within the "old" folder structure

In 1Password 3, webpage previews were stored with the keychain database. This could increase the size significantly. Webpage previews are no longer used in 1Password 4.

Speaking of file size, my .sqlite and my .1p4_zip files all are much smaller than the .agilekeychain and .agilekeychain_zip files of 1Password 3, but I assume this to be normal, ok?

Yes. Different file formats store data differently, so please don't be too concerned about the file size here.

The output of the backup files can absolutely not be set to any other folder than its default of .../Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/, right?

This is correct. We've found that allowing a moveable location can cause issues. For one, its simply easier to find backups in those cases where they're really needed. Additionally, if the backup location is moved to an external drive, if that external drive becomes disconnected, then you will be without backups. Which is not a good thing.

Wifi sync of data between the main app, iPad and iPhone in 1Password can only be triggered manually each time I wanna make sure every device has all of the current information, did I understand that correctly?

At this time yet, Wi-Fi sync is a manual process. Our developers are looking into ways to streamline this process, but the key thing is that it must be done in a secure way.

I hope this helps to answer your questions, but we're here for you if you have any more!

This discussion has been closed.