1Password only saving password, not username

Justin Clark
Justin Clark
Community Member

Hi— I've searched through some existing threads but did not find the same issue per se, pardon me if this is a dupe...

I'm in the process of changing all my logins to strong passwords using 1Password Mini. Whenever I generate a 'new password' and Fill it, I get the opportunity to save it as a new Login by 1Password. Great. The problem is, it never saves the username or login email address, only the site and password. I then have to open the full 1Password app and manually enter the username/login email into the new Login and save it. Kind of a pain. Am I missing something? Is there a way to autosave the COMPLETE login information? I'm using Chrome on a Mac.

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Justin,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble with 1Password! Lets figure out whats going on.

Is this happening on every website, or only a few?

Let's try this:

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary.
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

If that doesn't work, could you let us know the site's address so we can test it?

• Justin Clark
    Justin Clark
    Community Member

Thanks— ok I tried this:

I went to a new site, filled in my log in username and password. BEFORE hitting submit, I clicked "Save New Login" from the gear icon, nothing happened. I clicked "Submit" on the webpage to log in— that's when a 1Password dialog popped up asking me to save as a new Login. I click OK and it DID save the username and password.

Then, for the sake of experimentation, I went into 1Password and deleted the saved Login so that there were no records. I then went to change my password for the site and used 1Password to autofill. After it was changed, 1Password prompted me to save the new Login. I clicked OK and ONLY the new password is saved, no username.

I'm guessing it's because my username isn't present when changing my password, so 1Password has no way to grab it? That would make sense from a technical standpoint, but it makes it a bit of a pain to make the initial switch to 1Password.

My workflow has been:
    1. Visit old Site
    2. Change password (Autofill copies the new password to my clipboard)
    3. Click cancel when prompted by 1Password to save the Login
    4. Log out
    5. Enter username
    6. Paste new password
    7. Save as new Login when prompted

I suppose I could accept the first prompt to save the Login, but I've found it's faster for me to cancel it and log out than open 1Password and edit the entry to add the username. If there's any way to simplify this process, I'm all ears... I have a lot of passwords to change/save.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the followup about what you've tried and the results.

In the first case, you should definitely see an autosave window when selecting Save new Login in 1Password mini after entering username and password data on a page. Can you let us know any site's address (URL) where that's not working? Which versions of 1Password and its Chrome extension you using?

This guide has a suggested 1Password workflow for changing passwords:

Updating your site's password

Please give that a try and see if it improves the process. Any feedback is appreciated. :)

We still want to determine why Save new Login isn't working as intended so an example site and version information would be helpful. Thanks!

• Justin Clark
    Justin Clark
    Community Member

Sure, the site I was trying this on is http://www.discogs.com/ , Chrome version: 34.0.1847.131 , 1Password version 4.4

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, Justin.

It would also be helpful to know which version of the 1Password extension for Chrome you're running, You can find that on the chrome://extensions/ page:

That's for the current beta version.

After entering data in Username or Email and Password fields on the https://discogs.com/login, I have no trouble manually saving a new item using Save new Login in 1Password mini that successfully fills both fields. Works with either the stable or beta version of the extension, plus version 4.4 of the main application, in Chrome 34.0.1847.131. Are you able to do that or still nothing happens after selecting Save new Login when there's data in both those fields?

• Justin Clark
    Justin Clark
    Community Member

My Chrome extension version is 4.1.1.90 — although at the time I was using 1Password mini to try to "Save new Login". It seems to be working now. Weeeiiird.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi Justin,

I'm glad to hear you've been able to get Save new Login working in 1Password mini, which does requires the 1Password browser extension. Are you now able to manually save logins that include all the fields, like @Meek suggested in post #2?

It is possible to get into a state where the current web page is unable to communicate with mini through the extension and cause Save new Login to silently fail. I just unintentionally reproduced it in an atypical way. It's likely something similar temporarily happened in your case, but in a more common usage scenario than what I was doing. :)

This discussion has been closed.