How To: Log in to websites more easily

Options
khad
khad
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Maybe I'm just really dim - I have NO idea how 1password works.

Comments

• lillyCo
    lillyCo
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I'm having the same issue. Though I've been able to navigate through most of the procedures and successfully secure passwords for many sites, it does not seem to work the way in which it is/was initially explained in the information one reads before purchasing 1Password.

For example, I use fiverr.com and when I receive an eMail indicating that I have a message from someone on fiverr, on my Mac, I click on the link and it takes me to the site, but the fields are blank and nothing happens, nothing !! If I click on the 1P browser extension key and click on the saved fiverr icon, it does the same thing, nothing happens. If If I launch the app on my Mac and click on the fiverr icon there, the same thing happens which is nothing. If I click on "open & fill" in the main fiverr window, it takes me to the site, logs me in and everything works as it should.

Similarly, with my iPhone, if I try to log in using the fiverr app, the app opens and nothing happens, it acts as if I'm not registered. I must manually log into 1P, using the 1P app icon, sign in, click on the fiverr icon, which opens the 1P browser and that, then opens fiverr.com - but not in the iOS version, but in the regular version for Mac viewing.

In both cases, on my Mac and iPhone, this is a lot of steps just to open one site using 1P.

What I've sited here is just one scenario with one site for which I'm having difficulties. 1P seems to handle every site differently as I'm having issues with many other sites, but in a different way. If you multiply the above mentioned issue 20+ times, this becomes, what was supposed to save me time and mental anguish into a time-consuming nightmare.

1Password is not an inexpensive app as I'm sure others will agree. With that said, I'm happy to invest in an app that is going to save me the time and anxiety that maintaining so many passwords causes. However, if the app is not intuitive enough and becomes more complex than maintaining another method of keeping the passwords for which one purchases 1Password for in the first place, then anyone reading this can certainly appreciate my frustration.

Hopefully, someone of the Agilebits staff can provide some insight on how to best benefit from my purchase.

Thanks in advance !!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lillyCo,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble. I split your post from the other thread just so we aren't creating any confusion for ButchVA there. Over the years we have found that in these kind of situations "one on one" support is a lot better so other people chiming in doesn't confuse the person we are trying to help. That goes for you too. I want to make sure you get the personal attention you deserve as well.

Before I go too far, there is one helpful tip which I think will save you loads of time and frustration. Whenever you visit a website for which you have a Login item saved in 1Password, hold down the Command () key on your keyboard and press the backslash (\) key. We normally write it as ⌘\ for short. 1Password should fill in your credentials and log you right in. This works no matter how you load the website's login page: manually typing it in your browser's address bar, via a browser bookmark, clicking a link in an email, etc. It does matter where you are coming from. If you are viewing a website's login page in your browser and you have the 1Password extension installed you can press ⌘\ to log in. (That is why we have t-shirts that say "⌘\ is my password".)

Of course, if you don't like using that super fast keyboard shortcut, you can also just click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar and select the Login from there to fill and submit your credentials.

Let's start with that. Let me know if that is working for you, and we can go from there. I want to make sure we don't move too fast or create any additional problems or confusion as we go. :)

• lillyCo
    lillyCo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly !! I will use the tips you've mentioned, later tonight, with several of the issues I'm having and let you know how it works and we can continue from there if that sounds good.

I appreciate you're prompt attention - very seldom is online service like this provided so quickly - thanks again !!

Kenneth :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is my pleasure to help. Keep me posted. We can certainly dig deeper as necessary. :)

• lillyCo
    lillyCo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi khad,

Since we last chatted, I have been using ⌘\ to log in to some of the sites that I had previously mentioned. It "sort of works", however one of the very annoying problems is logging into a site from an eMail link.

For example, WWD. When I rcv a link, I click on it and it takes me to WWD but its the login page. I can manually click on LOG IN or I can use ⌘. When I do this, it take me to another WWD page, again allowing me the option of logging in, though it will not login through 1Password. If I go to the key icon and click on WWD and then move the cursor to the left-side pop-up box and click "open and fill" - it logs me in. I have used several browser links in the website field to no avail.

Again, this is one of those issues I mentioned in my eMail from February 25th, but have not had time to address these issues since. As I mentioned I also mentioned in that eMail - this is just one site issue out of many.

Thanks for your help in advance !!

Kenneth

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Kenneth ( @lillyCo ),

I'm glad to hear that ⌘\ is at least "sort of" working for you! Let's see if we can't increase the success rate here.

When you are already viewing the page that you wish to log into, simply click in the log in form fields and use the ⌘\ to fill your details. Of course, if you have more than one Login for the site you are visiting, 1Password will open to allow you to select which Login you wish to use, but if you have only one Login, it should fill with the shortcut.

If you're seeing different behaviour with a particular site, I'd love it if you could provide the URL so that we can do some testing on our end here.

And of course, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask - we're here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.