Additional question to Syncing/Sharing a non primary vault [Resolved]

Options
iCoco
iCoco
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

In this tutorial we learn that we have to create a new folder in our Dropbox for any additional vault we want to sync.

Now I wonder if its possible to choose the already existing Dropbox>1Password folder and let 1Password create the new vault’s .agilekeychain file in there? Or - if that’s not doable - at least create the new folder inside the Dropbox>1Password folder?

This would have the advantage that my Dropbox doesn’t get cluttered with three additional folders (which I would need) on first level, that all belong to my 1Password Apps.

I just want to get this straight before I screw something up.

… Ah, yes: and I want to have them all properly synced between my Mac, iPhone and iPad. But then again, I guess that’s what sync is for … :)

(OS X Mavericks - iOS 7.1.1 - Newest 1Password versions everywhere.)

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @iCoco,

You can indeed store your secondary vaults within the 1Password folder of your Dropbox. The tricky part comes in when you are sharing vaults with another user. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

• Shared vaults will need to be stored in a sub-folder, as the keychain itself is not shareable. Sub-folders are also important to ensure that you enable sync to the right location. With multiple .agilekeychains floating around in Dropbox, we want to ensure that you don't click on the wrong one and accidentally merge vault data.
    • If your 1Password folder is already shared, you cannot share folders inside
    • The shared folder will show up in the root of the other user's Dropbox: if you have /Dropbox/1Password/Work/Work.agilekeychain and you share "Work" with someone, they're going to end up with /Dropbox/Work/Work.agilekeychain (this is due to Dropbox's design)

I'm sorry that I don't have a perfect answer for you here, but I hope this helps you to get organized - I'm a big fan of minimizing clutter myself :)

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Wow, that indeed does sound tricky.

Until now, I am not sharing, but rather syncing my 1password-keychain between my devices (2 iMacs, iPhone, iPad).

What I intend to do now is install additional 1Password apps on my wife's iMac and iPhone. Then set up a new vault for her (on my iMac - because I am the guy who manages that kind of tricky stuff ;). And then share this vault with her iMac and iPhone.

However I would want to keep my wives vault inside my 1Password folder on my Dropbox to keep things neat and uncluttered.

You say "If your 1Password folder is already shared, you cannot share folders inside". Are syncing and sharing different different things or the same? As I am already syncing 1Password between my own devices, I might not be able to add my wife's vault/folder inside my 1Password folder in order to share that with her, right? Or am I getting this wrong?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iCoco,

I apologize if I've confused you here! If you and your wife already share a Dropbox account, sharing isn't going to be a big issue here. Because this is a public forum though, I wanted to be sure that anyone else coming across this thread would be aware of the potential issues.

Are syncing and sharing different different things or the same?

Syncing and sharing are different. Dropbox syncs your data between all your devices so that changes made to your data on your main computer show up on your iOS devices, and vice versa.

Sharing would come into play if you and your wife have separate Dropbox accounts. If you wanted to share a vault across two Dropbox accounts, you would need to share a folder between the accounts so that you would both have access to the 1Password.agilekeychain datafile.

(As an aside, you can tell if any folders in Dropbox are shared by looking in Finder. Regular Dropbox folders just look like folders in any other area of Finder. Shared folders have little people on them.)

What I intend to do now is install additional 1Password apps on my wife's iMac and iPhone. Then set up a new vault for her (on my iMac - because I am the guy who manages that kind of tricky stuff . And then share this vault with her iMac and iPhone.

Ok, just to clarify here before we get into the detailed steps:

• Will your wife have her own primary vault that is separate? Or will her only vault be the one that you are setting up on your computer?
  • eastlaker
    eastlaker
    Community Member
    Options

I'm trying to do this exact same thing. To answer your question: my wife will have a separate primary vault. Can you please provide detailed steps for that scenario? Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eastlaker,

I'd be happy to help get you sorted out here, but I'm hesitant to provide any steps before I know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• Could you please tell me the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • I'd also like to know the details of your desired set-up, ie: my primary vault is synced to these devices, and my wife's primary vault is synced to these devices, and these secondary vaults live here.
    • Are you sharing a Dropbox account or do we need to set up a shared folder between two Dropbox accounts?

Once we know a little bit more about your set-up, we should be able to get this set up in no time!

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for seemingly having left this thread without notice, but I couldn't find the time to get back earlier with any constructive contribution. So here I am again :) and here is my update.

iPhones running iOS 8.0.2 and 1Password 5.0.1; iMacs running Mavericks and 1Password 4.4.1.

In 1Password I’ve set up two vaults: the primary vault contains my own data; the second one my wife’s. Both vaults are stored on my Dropbox:

1Password/1Password.agilekeychain
    1Password/mywife.agilekeychain

So we share my Dropbox account.
    Both vaults are syncing perfectly with my own iPhone and iMac.
    Also, I have been able to set up 1Password on my wife’s iPhone and connected it to her vault.

However, I am unable to connect 1Password on my wife's iMac with her vault. After firing up 1Pw fort the first time on her iMac, we are asked whether she is a new or existing user. We check "existing"; but then there isn't a prompt that allows us to connect with a different Dropbox account than hers.

So do you have any advice for me here?

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    Options

Here's a screenshot of the step where we don't get past:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

It might be a dumb question but on your wife's mac, do you have both Dropboxes attached, hers and yours. I think 1Password can only see Dropboxes that you've attached via the Dropbox application unlike the iOS version which I believe has some Dropbox functionality built in.

I 'believe' the other option would be that if the folder that contains her 1Password keychain is shared with your wife's Dropbox account, then it would appear in her Dropbox folder on her computer negating the need to directly access your Dropbox account on her mac.

FYI, I'm no Dropbox expert so be prepared for shaking your head at potentially dumb advice :P

--Edit--

Having now spent the time reading the entire thread I see the second option is something you're looking to avoid so that one can be ignored.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iCoco,

Thanks for getting back to me with those details. Since you and your wife have your own Dropbox accounts, we are going to have to deal with the 'sharing' that I mentioned earlier. Even both the keychains are currently stored in your Dropbox, Dropbox doesn't currently allow for multiple accounts to be enabled on a computer at a time (unless you have Dropbox for Business). So, we'll need to share a folder between your Dropbox and your wife's and then store her mywife.agilekeychain file in that shared folder.

Here's what we'll do:

• On your wife's iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac and go to your wife's vault, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Follow the instructions here: share a non-primary vault to share a folder between your Dropbox account and your wife's. (Please note that you can create this folder inside your 1Password folder if you would like to keep things organized ... as long as you are not already sharing the 1Password folder with another Dropbox account.)

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Now, when you open 1Password on your wife's iMac, it will be able to see the keychain in the shared folder in Dropbox and will prompt you for the Master Password of her vault.

• On your wife's iOS device, ensure that she is logged in with her Dropbox account. Open 1Password 4 for iOS and set up Dropbox sync.

I hope this makes sense, but if you have any questions, please let me know - we're here to help!

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Ok, one more question before I start: To keep things tidy, may I create the new shared folder inside my 1Password folder? Like:

• 1Password/1Password.agilekeychain
    • 1Password/mywife/mywife.agilekeychain

It's interesting that this sharing thing isn't necessary on iOS but only on OS X ...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iCoco,

To keep things tidy, may I create the new shared folder inside my 1Password folder?

You may create the 'mywife' folder inside the 1Password folder as long as you are not sharing the 1Password folder with someone. (I'm fairly certain that you're not, but I just need to put this out there for other users who might stumble upon this thread.)

It's interesting that this sharing thing isn't necessary on iOS but only on OS X ...

Does your wife have the Dropbox app installed on her iOS device? I'm betting she doesn't. If she did, 1Password would default to her Dropbox account when looking for keychain data. If she doesn't use the Dropbox app on her iOS device, then 1Password will prompt you to enter the username and password for a Dropbox account where the data is stored. Then it's just as easy for you to enter your details there instead of hers.

I hope this makes sense ... and that your setup goes smoothly. :)

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I can see clearly now. Thank you for your excellent support. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @iCoco, on behalf of @Megan.

I'm happy her excellent support helped you see clearly … hopefully even through those goggles your avatar's wearing. :)

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    Options

:)

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Just so you know: Followed your instructions and everything ist working beautifully!
    3 vaults, 1 of them shared, 2 Dropbox accounts (only one of them used for 1Password), 2 iMacs, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads ... all running smooth. Life can be so good, sometimes! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iCoco,

I'm so glad to hear that everything is working smoothly for you - thanks so much for letting me know!

Since this issue is nicely sorted out now, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.