Feature request: Mark passwords as "needs changing"

Dan Spencer
Dan Spencer
Community Member

Long story short, I got a Trojan on my PC over the weekend. I got it cleaned off sharpish but my Dropbox was synced to the machine and my 1Password vault could easily of been harvested. Given that the vault is potentially out there it is vulnerable to being brute forced eventually so I'm going to change all of my passwords. But I'm also pretty happy that it's not going to be broken any time soon given the strength of my master password, so I don't feel the need to sit down for an hour or two changing every password.

At the moment I only use 1Password for iOS and 1Password Anywhere (which is amazing btw, good job!) neither offer the ability to sort passwords/logins that I can see so I don't have an easy way to track which passwords have been changed since the vault was compromised.

I'd love the ability to mark all of my passwords as "potentially compromised" (maybe highlighted something obvious like red) and have them leave that state as I change them. It could also be a nice way of getting one password to nag you about changing an important password regularly (e.g. maybe I want 1Password to warn me to change my bank password every six months), or highlight any passwords that fall below a globally configured minimum strength (e.g. maybe 10 character passwords just don't cut it any more, highlight all of my passwords that fall below the threshold).

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Dan,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write in with this suggestion. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with your PC lately - that's no fun! It sounds like you have a pretty good strategy for getting things back in order.

Unfortunately, you're right, there is no way to currently order your data in the iOS version as you suggest. We're working on bringing some of 1Password 4 Mac's great Security Audit features to the new 1Password 4 for Windows that is currently in beta testing, including a category for weak passwords, and tags, which will allow you to mark passwords as potentially compromised. For the time being though, if you're just using the iOS version, this sorting will need to be done manually. I'd be happy to pass your thoughts about sort options on iOS along to our developers.

It could also be a nice way of getting one password to nag you about changing an important password regularly (e.g. maybe I want 1Password to warn me to change my bank password every six months)

A reminders feature for 1Password is a popular request, and I've added your vote to the request in our internal issue tracker. :)

This discussion has been closed.