1Password and BlackBerry

I've been a 1Password user for a while now, and I generally love it. However, as a BlackBerry user, I would REALLY like a BlackBerry app to access the passwords (perhaps via Dropbox sync). The 1PasswordAnywhere does not really work (cannot unlock) in the BB browser on OS 5.

Currently, I'm debating whether I should switch to LastPass, which I do find more annoying. The BB app for LastPass, however, makes it that much better in my opinion.

Are there any plans for a BB app, or do you have any better ideas for accessing it via Dropbox? Perhaps you can create a mobile-friendly version of 1PasswordAnywhere? Thank you.

Comments

• sjk wrote:

Tried that first. It's only bringing up results, including mine, that are mostly irrelevant.
  • KevSully
    KevSully
    Community Member
    djshack wrote:

Tried that first. It's only bringing up results, including mine, that are mostly irrelevant.

HI
    I had the following reply in a post earlier this month .. when I asked about Blackberry support

"As you may know, our focus for mobile development has been on Apple's iOS, and we've recently made available a beta version of our app for Android devices. Given our druthers, of course, we'd support every popular platform, but we just don't have the resources to do that. This doesn't mean we're shutting the door on the other mobile platforms out there, but (to keep expectations realistic) it does mean that Apple's iOS and Android are where active mobile development is currently taking place."
  • KevSully wrote:

HI
    I had the following reply in a post earlier this month .. when I asked about Blackberry support

"As you may know, our focus for mobile development has been on Apple's iOS, and we've recently made available a beta version of our app for Android devices. Given our druthers, of course, we'd support every popular platform, but we just don't have the resources to do that. This doesn't mean we're shutting the door on the other mobile platforms out there, but (to keep expectations realistic) it does mean that Apple's iOS and Android are where active mobile development is currently taking place."

Thanks. That doesn't sound promising.
  • If any of the devs are reading this, is there any chance you can at LEAST create a mobile-friendly version of 1PasswordAnywhere, so those of us with old-fashioned mobile browsers (i.e., BlackBerry 5.x) can still access that via Dropbox? Thank you.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    djshack wrote:

Hmm, I saw what KevSully quoted (from DBrown) in search results for the posts:

here
    here

Btw, I deleted my earlier reply with the non-working search results link.
  • cdenesha
    cdenesha
    Community Member
    I'm using BB 4.5.0.175, and also cannot get 1PasswordAnywhere to unlock. I have tried several Options including Emulation (Openwave WAP, Netscape), but no go.

The Bolt browser got me past the unlock screen and allowed me to pull up an entry, but I couldn't 'Reveal' the password and thus couldn't copy or use it. Of course, everything you enter and Send in Bolt goes through their own servers first...

chris
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2010
    djshack wrote:

If any of the devs are reading this, is there any chance you can at LEAST create a mobile-friendly version of 1PasswordAnywhere, so those of us with old-fashioned mobile browsers (i.e., BlackBerry 5.x) can still access that via Dropbox? Thank you.

Unfortunately, djshack, that may require just as much work as a standalone app. :-/

The key word being: "old-fashioned." 1PasswordAnywhere makes liberal use of features provided by modern browsers (which is why even IE8 is still not supported yet, but that's another story).

cdenesha, at this time, 1PasswordAnywhere is only supported in modern desktop browsers like Safari, Firefox, and Google Chrome. We do not support mobile browsers (even Mobile Safari, hence the iOS apps).

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time.
  • cdenesha
    cdenesha
    Community Member
    KevSully wrote:

My colleague is evaluating LastPass right now because he only needs to pay $12/year for mobile support on a wide variety of mobile browsers. With that kind of competition brewing, it might be the time to think about adding a developer. Just a thought..

Please understand I am a licensed user of Mac and Windows 1Password and won't be switching. :)

thanks,

chris
  • cdenesha wrote:

My colleague is evaluating LastPass right now because he only needs to pay $12/year for mobile support on a wide variety of mobile browsers. With that kind of competition brewing, it might be the time to think about adding a developer. Just a thought..

Please understand I am a licensed user of Mac and Windows 1Password and won't be switching. :)

thanks,

chris

I'm doing the same. I do like the UI and consistency of 1Password better than LastPass, but I cannot justify the many costs associated with 1Password, along with the slow multi-platform and multi-browser development. I successfully use LastPass for $12 a year at work on Windows, home on Mac, and on my BlackBerry, all without the need to rely on Dropbox.

If 1Password can ever catch up in features, I'd almost be willing to spend the extra money on licenses for other platforms (of course, I'm not so sure I'll still say that when it comes time to buy a paid upgrade).
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2010
    One of the advantages of 1Password is that there is no ongoing fee. You can buy a license once and never have to worry again. This is the case with our iOS apps (which, at the time of this writing pays for itself after the first 15 months in a LastPass comparison), and in the history of 1Password for Mac, there has only been one paid upgrade.

I have been a longtime 1Password user since before I ever started working for Agile, and if I had been subscribed to LastPass the whole time instead, I would have paid at least double what 1Password has cost me. Everyone's mileage may vary, but this is a definite win for me. Additionally, I am more comfortable having my data encrypted by a separate product created by a separate company than the one that is storing my data. I know that no one at Dropbox can access my 1Password data even if they had access to my other Dropbox files. I guess I just like not putting all my sensitive eggs in one basket. :-D
  • khad wrote:

One of the advantages of 1Password is that there is no ongoing fee. You can buy a license once and never have to worry again. This is the case with our iOS apps (which, at the time of this writing pays for itself after the first 15 months in a LastPass comparison), and in the history of 1Password for Mac, there has only been one paid upgrade.

I have been a longtime 1Password user since before I ever started working for Agile, and if I had been subscribed to LastPass the whole time instead, I would have paid at least double what 1Password has cost me. Everyone's mileage may vary, but this is a definite win for me. Additionally, I am more comfortable having my data encrypted by a separate product created by a separate company than the one that is storing my data. I know that no one at Dropbox can access my 1Password data even if they had access to my other Dropbox files. I guess I just like not putting all my sensitive eggs in one basket. :-D

There is, however, an upgrade fee when you release new major versions, which is likely every one to two years. That adds up over time. Of course, I can continue to use an older version, but I don't especially like doing that.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We do have some Pretty Good™ customer support, though (if I do say so myself). It's the the reason I was excited to work for Agile in the first place. Everyone always seemed so happy and friendly all the time. I hope that is worth something. ;-)
  • khad wrote:

We do have some Pretty Good™ customer support, though (if I do say so myself). It's the the reason I was excited to work for Agile in the first place. Everyone always seemed so happy and friendly all the time. I hope that is worth something. ;-)

It is. Don't get me wrong... I do really, really like 1Password. But, it comes down to this: I use a MacBook Pro at home and school (as a law student), a BlackBerry as my phone, and a Windows-based PC at my internship. As a poor-as-**** law student, I cannot really justify spending $50-60+ for password management, when I can get *almost* as good of an application, including the BlackBerry app, for $12 a year. With my current license, I'd have to buy the Windows one in addition. Finally, there is still no BlackBerry support.

Basically, I have to have a password I can remember (read: insecure) to access Dropbox to access my 1PasswordAnywhere file. With LastPass, I know I can have a bizarre, secure password for every single site I use except LastPass, and I can always access the passwords, anywhere, at any time, by phone or internet.

My one big complaint with LastPass is the UI--primarily, the popup bar, which looks ugly even by Windows 7 standards. However, the usefulness and security outweigh that factor.
  • cdenesha
    cdenesha
    Community Member
    djshack wrote:

Basically, I have to have a password I can remember (read: insecure) to access Dropbox to access my 1PasswordAnywhere file.

True. I had a really secure undecipherable pwd on Dropbox until I needed it away from my Mac, trying to use PasswordAnywhere. lol Now I have a 16 character, pronounceable password for Dropbox that 1P considers Excellent. I created it by watching the types of strings being used by 1P in Pronounceable mode and using that same type of approach to make a phrase.

So, for me, read: Secure.

chris
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    As a poor-as-**** law student…

Not to discount what else you wrote, djshack, but I do want let everyone reading this know that we have an educational store which allows students and faculty to save 20% on every purchase. After purchase, email a copy of your student ID to support@agilewebsolutions.com. Be sure to use your school e-mail address when ordering.
This discussion has been closed.