Integrated web browser support on ipad

wrk24wheel
wrk24wheel
Community Member
edited September 2010 in iOS
I just saw a new competition this morning (IdeePal for iPad.). They have a fully integrated web browser that acts more like 1password for the mac. I like this a lot. I hate having to constantly go back and forth between 1password and safari or your integrated browser. We need the same integration that we are currently used to. Go to a site within the browser and hit the 1password button. If the the mac version is half as good as yours, this could hurt future sales. I have been a 1password user for years and would hate to have to switch. I know you can do this and beat their pants off in the mean time. Good luck.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    wrk24wheel wrote:

I just saw a new competition this morning (IdeePal for iPad.). They have a fully integrated web browser that acts more like 1password for the mac. I like this a lot. I hate having to constantly go back and forth between 1password and safari or your integrated browser. We need the same integration that we are currently used to. Go to a site within the browser and hit the 1password button. If the the mac version is half as good as yours, this could hurt future sales. I have been a 1password user for years and would hate to have to switch. I know you can do this and beat their pants off in the mean time. Good luck.

If they had a trial version I would give it a look.

Looking at there youtube video on there site it is an integrated web browser. Maybe we can get Roustem to look into this. Thanks for the heads up.
  • mostello
    mostello
    Community Member
    thightower wrote:

If they had a trial version I would give it a look.

Looking at there youtube video on there site it is an integrated web browser. Maybe we can get Roustem to look into this. Thanks for the heads up.

This is a major item for iphone and ipad version of 1 password which I both own. The main reason I am addicted to 1 password on the Mac is the ability of filling up web forms on Safari and Firefox, from logins to credit card purchases, delivery addresses and so on. It makes a whole world of difference. The ipad and iphone version I barely use it as I can't use it the same way.

Can we implement this feature? does it infringe the Apple SDK rules?
  • sjivan
    sjivan
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    I must say that I'm a little disappointed with my 1Password for iPad purchase after I discovered that it does not have integrated mobile safari support. I now understand that this is due to technical restrictions in mobile Safari but would have liked to have seen in big bold letters that 1Password for iPad does not have integrated mobile Safari support on the purchase page. Without the try before buy option for 1Password for iPad I did not have the opportunity to find this out before buying and cannot help feeling mislead. Knowing you guys I'm certain this wasn't your intention but would appreciate it if you clearly mentioned this on your iPad purchase page. Simply mentioning "Automatically log into Web sites to avoid remembering and typing usernames and passwords" has a big caveat that it does not work with mobile Safari.

Sanjiv
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    sjivan wrote:

I must say that I'm a little disappointed with my 1Password for iPad purchase after I discovered that it does not have integrated mobile safari support. I now understand that this is due to technical restrictions in mobile Safari but would have liked to have seen in big bold letters that 1Password for iPad does not have integrated mobile Safari support on the purchase page. Without the try before buy option for 1Password for iPad I did not have the opportunity to find this out before buying and cannot help feeling mislead. Knowing you guys I'm certain this wasn't your intention but would appreciate it if you clearly mentioned this on your iPad purchase page. Simply mentioning "Automatically log into Web sites to avoid remembering and typing usernames and passwords" has a big caveat that it does not work with mobile Safari.

Sanjiv

Hi Sanjiv. I'm sorry that you're disappointed with our iPad app. We have 3 ways to log into websites on the iPad. You can use our built-in browser, which works quite well. You can also use 2 bookmarklets, the "Logins" bookmarklet which gives you something similar to the functionality you have with the 1P button on your Safari toolbar, and the "Lookup" bookmarklet, which lets you switch between Safari and 1Password. This will be even easier when multi-tasking is available for the iPad. We have instructions for setting up each of these below:

Setting up and using the Logins Bookmarklet

Setting up and using the Lookup Bookmarklet

I hope that helps. If you have any questions, let us know. :)
  • sjivan
    sjivan
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    macpug wrote:

Hi Sanjiv. I'm sorry that you're disappointed with our iPad app. We have 3 ways to log into websites on the iPad. You can use our built-in browser, which works quite well. You can also use 2 bookmarklets, the "Logins" bookmarklet which gives you something similar to the functionality you have with the 1P button on your Safari toolbar, and the "Lookup" bookmarklet, which lets you switch between Safari and 1Password. This will be even easier when multi-tasking is available for the iPad. We have instructions for setting up each of these below:

Setting up and using the Logins Bookmarklet

Setting up and using the Lookup Bookmarklet

I hope that helps. If you have any questions, let us know. :)

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately none of these solutions provide a smooth experience.

1) the integrated browser only runs from within 1Password by clicking a URL. If its going to be a 1Password replacement for Safari then it would be nice if I can launch it in standalone mode via an icon on my home screen. Moreover it should have the ability to record passwords entered via the web interface like the 1Password for Safari / Mac does. All the other options assume that the user needs a 1Password for OSX / Windows license.

2) the Logins Bookmarklet assumes the user has a desktop license of 1Password and besides being inconvenient (additional steps of synching and cherry picking only sites that do not hold important information since the bookmarklet it is not very secure.

3) The Lookup Bookmarket method is inconvenient. One of the reasons I like 1Password for Mac is that it is easy to use and just works. Manually copying / pasting stuff between apps is a pain.

I'd like to see 1Password for iPad be able to setup a separate icon on my home screen that launches the 1Password browser in standalone mode which is capable of recording logins as well as working of synched keychains. All the sites that have a login in 1Password should be accessible via a dropdown menu like the 1Password for desktop Safari plugin. Finally there should be a way to set the 1Password browser as the default browser so that when I launch sites using links from emails or other sites, it takes me to the 1Password enabled browser. This would definitely make 1Password for iPad a lot more usable to me.

Sanjiv
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey sjivan,

Thanks for raising these good issues!

I must say that I'm a little disappointed with my 1Password for iPad purchase after I discovered that it does not have integrated mobile safari support. I now understand that this is due to technical restrictions in mobile Safari but would have liked to have seen in big bold letters that 1Password for iPad does not have integrated mobile Safari support on the purchase page.

I'm terribly sorry if there was any confusion, but Mobile Safari is locked down very tightly by Apple. No third-party developers have access to integrate with it. That is why 1Password and the other app you mention have web views of their own.

…it would be nice if I can launch it in standalone mode via an icon on my home screen

Right now we are positioning 1Password for iOS as a password manager with browsing built-in rather than a browser with password management built-in. This may change at some point, but that is where we are at the moment.

…it should have the ability to record passwords entered via the web interface like the 1Password for Safari / Mac does. All the other options assume that the user needs a 1Password for OSX / Windows license.

Logins can be manually created from within 1Password on iOS devices. There is not yet the ability to autosave logins as the desktop apps are able to do. Though we are working on improving this. However, I do not have a time frame for a specific release that I can share.

the Logins Bookmarklet assumes the user has a desktop license of 1Password and besides being inconvenient (additional steps of synching and cherry picking only sites that do not hold important information since the bookmarklet it is not very secure.

You are correct.

"The bookmarklet data cannot be protected when used on a malicious web site. It is recommended that you limit its use to non-critical web logins. Use the native 1Password application for iOS for the greatest security."

Hence the warning when you use the feature. This is a deprecated method.

The Lookup Bookmarket method is inconvenient. One of the reasons I like 1Password for Mac is that it is easy to use and just works. Manually copying / pasting stuff between apps is a pain.

True. But, as I mentioned, there is not a single third-party app that integrates directly with Mobile Safari. It is simply not possible at this time. If it ever becomes possible, we will certainly pursue such integration. I think our record on Mac OS X can speak for itself in this regard. :-)

I'd like to see 1Password for iPad be able to setup a separate icon on my home screen that launches the 1Password browser in standalone mode which is capable of recording logins as well as working of synched keychains.

Again, this is a limitation of Apple's design. A new icon on the home screen would mean a new app purchase. There is not currently a way for a single app to have two different icons that launch different screens of one app.

All the sites that have a login in 1Password should be accessible via a dropdown menu like the 1Password for desktop Safari plugin.

The globe icon in the toolbar of 1Password's integrated browser provides this functionality. But again, to provide this in Mobile Safari is impossible.

Finally there should be a way to set the 1Password browser as the default browser so that when I launch sites using links from emails or other sites, it takes me to the 1Password enabled browser. This would definitely make 1Password for iPad a lot more usable to me.

It would be nice to change the default browser in iOS, but — I feel like a broken record — Apple has not provided that functionality. Part of this may be that there really is no such thing as a "different browser" in iOS. Every web view is rendered with Safari's WebKit engine. I think Apple is trying to keep iOS simple for users. Time will tell where it goes from here. In the meantime, developers are stuck rolling their own "wrappers" around a WebKit view which decreases available memory and increases the possibility of a crash. :-(

Me? I prefer to use Mobile Safari and the Lookup Bookmarklet until we are able to fully integrate with Mobile Safari.

Thanks again for the great discussion! :-)

Let me know if you have any other questions, concerns, or comments.
  • sjivan
    sjivan
    Community Member
    Do you know what Offline Pages for iPad is doing : http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/offline-pages/id364859644?mt=8

In the screenshots they have a real browser with browser bar and all, as well as customizations.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Some apps do a better job of hiding it, but every app you see that "looks like" a "real" browser is, in fact, merely a WebView provided in the SDK to developers. Different apps create their own "wrappers" around this view but it is the same view for all apps. It is kind of the reverse of how things work with desktop browsers. In Mac OS X, there are many plugins/extensions for a single browser window. In iOS, there is one browser view that different apps must create a whole new shell around (and another app out of) in order to extend the browser.
  • kilgoretrout
    kilgoretrout
    Community Member
    I gotta say, getting passwords from 1password into the web page on my iPhone and iPad really does my head in. None of the solutions work for me ..... Except 1password's bundled browser. Clicking on the globe fills in my password for me. Yay!

However it would be real nice if the browser was a standalone app, with multiple windows like Safari or mutilple tabs like say the atomic browser, plus the ability to add bookmarks etc. So what if it need to be released as a second app to the app store. If it was 99c like the other browsers I've bought, I'd buy it. Straight away. All I want to do on my iPad is have a seamless browsing (and login experience). I've got 1password Pro and 1password for the mac. I wouldn't care if they never added another feature to these apps as long as I could login though my iPad and iPhone browser.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the kind words, kilgoretrout! :-)

We are looking to make many improvements to the browser "integration" in iOS (within the limits Apple has placed on third-party apps). I do not have anything to announce at this time, but we are working hard.

Cheers!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the musings, brenty! :-)

I think a big part of the issue for Apple is also user experience. It's a matter of, "Does the website look good on the iPad?" rather than, "Does the website work in Safari on the iPad? Firefox? Chrome? Opera?"

From a developer's perspective it is a nice change of pace to only have one rendering engine on the platform (not to mention a fixed screen size).

It sounds so counterintuitive to the "open is always better" mentality, but the experience is, in my opinion, all the nicer for it.

Of course, all of that is regarding the rendering engine, not the browser... :-)
This discussion has been closed.