Lost all my password

mm2014mm
mm2014mm
Community Member

I don't know what happened. just restart once for changing system preference. then all my passwords are gone. (i didn't change my iCloud account, just language preference)
I use a lot of system generated complex password which i can never remember.

what should I do?
where can I find password backup file?

Please tell me what to do, It's like all my data are gone, because I saved them on encrypted files.

Please help

Comments

• ash_m
    ash_m
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

If you revert the language preference back to what it was, does the data come back?

Also, if you go into the Preferences within 1Password (it's under 1Password in the menu) and click on Backup you will normally see the list of previous backups. Clicking on a specific date and then on Restore should hopefully bring your data back.

• mm2014mm
    mm2014mm
    Community Member

i changed preference,but everything just gone.. i never backuped recently...
    is there some other possible way to restore?
    the database file can not just gone ,isn't it?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

1P4 creates (roughly) daily backups automatically. Do you not see any if you go to 1P4 > Preferences > Backup, as suggested in post #2 above?

Stephen

• mm2014mm
    mm2014mm
    Community Member

NO, i am using version 3.8.22, can't find backups~please please tell me there is backup

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mm2014mm‌

We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• mm2014mm
    mm2014mm
    Community Member

is that report contain only txt file? I saved all my passwords in your app, and don't really want to send anything..
    I just want to know if there is a database anywhere in my system, maybe i can find my password back.

• The diagnostic report will tell us about your system in general. We use this information solely for the purpose of diagnosing the issue you contacted us about.

The report will include information about your 1Password data, but we cannot not the data itself. The data gathered generally include metadata, log files, and other diagnostic information.

If you'd like to see what you're sending, simply unzip the diagnostic report file and take a look for yourself. :)

• mm2014mm
    mm2014mm
    Community Member

I see, I unzip the file, and find that all my backups should be at ~/Library/Application Support/1Passwrod/Backups,
    but that folder is empty for me, does that mean I can not find my data?

the diagnostics file contain too much , and I don't really want to send it.

Known Issues
    Warning 1Password 4 (Website) is not set to keep 1P Mini running
    Warning Dropbox is not running. This may cause issues with syncing
    Warning 1Password Auto-Submit Script is not installed for the Mac App Store version. Auto-Submit (pressing the login button) may not work on all sites. This has nothing to do with filling.

Overview
    1Password Version: 3.8.22(32010) via Website at /Applications/1Password.app. Codesign valid? Yes.
    OS X Version: 10.9.3 (Build: 13D65)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mm2014mm,

Of course it is completely your choice to send the Diagnostic Report in to us. These reports are designed to be a snapshot of your computer at the time that they are generated. Please note that this Report does not include your 1Password database. We have worked very hard to include as little personal information as possible, while gathering as much detail as we can to aid in the troubleshooting process. We can troubleshoot without it, but it may require a bit more patience on your part, as we will have to ask a few more questions.

You're correct, if you're using 1Password 3, your backups are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/. If that folder is empty, then we'll need to try to locate your 1Password.agilekeychain database. Please do a search in Finder for 1Password.agilekeychain - do you get any hits?

• mm2014mm
    mm2014mm
    Community Member

I searched ,there is no such file on my mac. I don't know what happened.
    When I restart my computer and lost my password, everything is reset like I just installed that app.
    the new data file/find existing shows up.
    other apps are fine,all my passwords are gone. and I didn't use it since then, afraid of overwriting something.
    I downloaded 1password 4 to see if there's backups, but no.
    is there any way I can get back my database? maybe doing some magic with my hard drive? some passwords are really important to me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mm2014mm,

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, if you have no backups, and you have no 1Password.agilekeychain files on your computer, things don't look too good here. If we were able to see the Diagnostic Report, we might be able to help more.

This discussion has been closed.