New design in OS X Yosemite - no more custom UI for 1Password?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Lounge

Yes, this is about the Mac version but I felt it would be best in the Lounge.

Of course I don't expect Agilebits to talk about any future plans yet. But that doesn't stop us users from speculation.

So, to the point. Currently 1Password has a custom UI with its own buttons and scroll bars that doesn't look like the standard OS X ones. More like iOS 6. That's OK, because the current OS X design has been around for a while so it is possible to "break the rules" in the right way.

However, this design won't work in Yosemite. Will 1Password play it safe and use the standard OS X controls? And how about Omnifocus that uses its own flat design already?

Comments

• aheezen
    aheezen
    Community Member

I couldn't find a way to comment on the Yosemite announcement today, so I'll put it here:

"On iOS 8, App Extensions, OS X Yosemite, and 1Password
    Posted on Jun 2, 2014 by David Chartier

Honestly, we’d like to exclaim from atop Yosemite about our excitement for the other Yosemite, iOS 8, and all the incredible things Apple announced during WWDC 2014′s opening keynote. But the great news is we’re actually here, in San Francisco to learn first-hand about all this amazing new stuff (though the not-so-great news is we’ll have to hold off on the road trip)! If you’re in […]"

Ummm, Yosemite is a valley, so it really doesn't have a top to exclaim from.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

"…atop the Giant Sequoias"? I'll see if we can get that updated. Thanks, @aheezen‌! :)

And, @Xe997‌, I don't want to ruin any fun, so I'll leave the speculation to others. ;)

• This seems academic, as my 1Password 4 is't working on Yosemite beta.

• robertknight
    robertknight
    Community Member

@aheezen‌ - iOS 8 has support for custom keyboards which is potentially useful for 1Password. Custom keyboards are not allowed in password entry fields in the current iOS betas though. I can see very good reasons why Apple does not permit this but I don't suppose you've had a chance to speak to Apple engineers and ask them about it?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014

@robertknight‌, some things are still unknown (or not yet settled since these are very early betas), but folks from the AgileBits team are in San Francisco right now investigating all the fun new possibilities. :)

There isn't much we can talk about concretely at this point, and we don't normally discuss future plans anyway. However, we did post on our blog as soon as possible regarding all the great news that was announced at the WWDC keynote:

On iOS 8, App Extensions, OS X Yosemite, and 1Password

@jampolis‌, this is true for some users. We're investigating that as well. It's a very exciting week which we think is going to continue for while to come. :)

We also wrote a quick article about beta testing Apple's new OSes. Please be sure to read it if you are beta testing iOS 8 or Yosemite:

iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite Betas: Test Driving an Operating System

This discussion has been closed.