1Password 4.4.1 is not backing up [Mountain Lion issue; fixed in 4.4.2 beta]

Options
Smaugg
Smaugg
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

I just updated to 1Password 4 Version 4.4.1 (441008) Agile Web Store and is not backing up, (neither automatically nor Manually from the application) and the application doesn't see or show previous backups though there are two Backups folders.

I can't direct 1PW backup to any Backups folder.

There are two Backups folders in the User Folder.

One Backups folder is at “User/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups. The files in this Backups folder look like this: 1PasswordO014-06-05 08_05_17 (1 profiles, 300 items, 6 folders, 1 attachments).1p4_zip

There is also another Backups folder at “User/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups. The files in this Backups folder look like this: 1Password 2014-06-05 080020 (499 items).agilekeychain_zip

As you can see up until the latest application update this appears to be working properly.

How do I fix this or revert to the last version?

Also my iPad app and the Mac app have not been able to Sync for an unknown time period. With the previous version it timed out now it says the Host is unavailable.

Comments

• em7Hizqc6uUDyY
    em7Hizqc6uUDyY
    Community Member
    Options

I have to 2nd that ver 4.4.1. is not backing up any longer and none are showing in the window that had some before the update. The backup files are present and found them in the finder environment. I am using the web version, NOT the Apple Store version.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @em7Hizqc6uUDyY‌,

Are you by any chance on Mountain Lion? We have a bug in the interface where the Backups view is broken in the Preferences area but the backups should still work in the background.

The 1Password 4 backups are in this directory: Home > Library > Application Support > 1Password 4 > Backups

Open 1Password, go to the File Menu and click on Backup to create a new backup. Now, in the folder, there should be a new file now called 1Password 2014-06-05 11_25_48, meaning it was created today on 06-05 and at time 11:25am.

Can you tell me if it shows up?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

It's backing up normally for me with version 4.4.1 (AgileBits Store version) on OS X 10.9.3 (Mavericks). Or at least it produces a backup on demand that shows in the Preferences window and in the folder. I don't know whether an automatic backup should have occurred today since I received the update to 4.4.1 this morning.

• rsweb1pwd
    rsweb1pwd
    Community Member
    Options

since a couple of days backups are not shown in the settings anymore
    => show files works correct
    => sync works correct

the path:
    /Users/.../Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups
    seems be ok

(problem in connection of last update?)
    actual version is 4.4.1

• kgamard
    kgamard
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm MikeT's post as 4.4.1's backup/restore doesn't display in OS X Mountain Lion. On one of my ML Macs, I downgraded back to 4.4 which works correctly.

4.4.1 does display correctly and the backup/restore functionality works as expected in OS X Mavericks.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

There's another thread here about a similar (or maybe the same) issue elsewhere in the forum. Are you using Mountain Lion, by any chance? That other thread points to that. Mavericks appears to be OK.

Here is a link to the other thread.

• rsweb1pwd
    rsweb1pwd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT,

Yes I use ML. My backups are NOT stored in:
    Home > Library > Application Support > 1Password 4 > Backups

They are stored in:
    /Users/.../Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups

and the file names of the last 2 backups are:
    1Password (1 profiles, 44 items, 8 folders, 95 attachments).1p4_zip
    (5. + 6.6. manuell backup)

the older backups are all named like:
    1Password 2014-06-04 07_11_09 (1 profiles, 43 items, 8 folders, 93 attachments).1p4_zip

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @rsweb1pwd,

That is the correct backup location if you are using the Mac App Store version of 1Password.

AgileBits version: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

Mac App Store version: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

• PMK
    PMK
    Community Member
    Options

Updated to 4.4.1 on two laptops running MountainLion 10.8.5, a MacBook Air and MacBookPro. Both are behaving identically: In Preferences the display of backups is empty, and clicking the backup button DOES NOT send a backup to the backups folder: Home > Library > Application Support > 1Password 4 > Backups.

Is there another way to "force" a backup. If reverting to 4.4 is the only solution, where is that available? Thanks, PMK

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @PMK,

So we can look into this further, could you please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• PMK
    PMK
    Community Member
    Options

Report sent.
    ADDENDUM NOTE: I do see now that backups ARE INDEED being created when clicking the backup button on the Preference=>Backup screen. I was looking for a numeric date in the backup folder, and see that the backup is labeled "Today" etc. (The backups don't however reveal in the backup window in Preferences.) ~PMK

• Jasper
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @PMK,

I'm glad to hear that backups are in fact being created. That's great news!

It's currently a known issue that backups won't display in the preference window on Mountain Lion, and our developers are looking into it. Sorry for any inconvenience! :)

• rsweb1pwd
    rsweb1pwd
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi JasperP,

TKS for your answer.
    now I know that the file path of my version (AppStore) is ok.
    But how can I solve the issue "backups not shown in settings/backups anymore" ?

discussion:
    http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/25785/backups-not-shown-in-settings-backups-anymore#latest

It seems the settings in the prefences of the program must be changed - but how?

At the moment I cannot select a backup for a restore (the path is hidden in select box).

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

You can't resolve the display issue for the moment. It is a problem with 1P4 on OS X 10.8.5 which AgileBits are working to fix.

(Edit: I've merged the two threads dealing with this problem.)

Stephen

• kgamard
    kgamard
    Community Member
    Options

PMK,
    This is where I downloaded 1Password4 version 4.4 and installed it for OS X Mountain Lion. Works fine with no display issue. It's located after the 4.4.1 release notes with a download link after the release date.

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @rsweb1pwd,

Like Stephen said, it's currently a known issue that backups won't display in the preference window on Mountain Lion, and our developers are looking into it. Sorry for any inconvenience!

• rsweb1pwd
    rsweb1pwd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi JasperP, when will AB provide a solution (update) ?

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @rsweb1pwd,

I'm sorry, but unfortunately I'm not sure if/when this will be improved.

• rsweb1pwd
    rsweb1pwd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi JasperP, I'm confused "if" ?? If I cannot see the backups in the list I'm not able to do a restore if any problem! This failure should be fixed asap!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rsweb1pwd‌

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here. Please note that our developers have actually already managed to resolve this issue (so no more worries on the "if"!) You should see an update soon that has things behaving properly for you.

• stukey
    stukey
    Community Member
    Options

I am seeing this issue also under OS X 10.8.5. Looking forward to the update to resolve this.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stukey,

Unfortunately I can't comment on just when the next update will be available, but we'll do what we can to get it out to you all just as soon as possible!

• rsweb1pwd
    rsweb1pwd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,
    any news?
    4 weeks are over now - when can we await a fix of this issue?

• kgamard
    kgamard
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like there is a 4.4.2 beta that fixes the Mountain Lion display issue. See the title of this post which appears to have been changed to:

1Password 4.4.1 is not backing up [Mountain Lion issue; fixed in 4.4.2 beta]

• rsweb1pwd
    rsweb1pwd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi kgamard,
    may be. But I'm not so amused to install an beta version (and have some other problems).
    When will AgileBits roll out the final version ?

• kgamard
    kgamard
    Community Member
    Options

I have no idea when AgileBits will make 4.4.2 available.

What I have done is downgrade to 4.4 which still works great with Mountain Lion. See my post #17 above for the link to download 4.4.

• rsweb1pwd
    rsweb1pwd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi kgamard,
    TKS for your solution. But is there no risk to lose data? 1Password use now another form/name/path of backup files.
    Will the next version 4.4.2 handle these files correct?

• kgamard
    kgamard
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not affiliated with AgileBits so I can't answer any of your questions regarding the next version.

I know for myself, when using 4.4.1 all I did was uninstall 4.4.1 and install 4.4. I already had my 1Password DB syncing with Dropbox, so nothing was harmed. After installing 4.4, it found my 1Password DB, backups displayed and all was good! Still is. No loss of data. The backups all go into ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups.

• rsweb1pwd
    rsweb1pwd
    Community Member
    Options

my current path is different:
    .../Users/rs/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups
    so I'm afraid to have a problem

Maybe Megan or JasperP have a helpful answer ?

This discussion has been closed.