1Password no longer allowed by Chrome [Update to the Chrome web store version of 1P extension]

brcs55
brcs55
Community Member
edited June 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Once I started using 1Password I migrated to also using Chrome as the interface seemed smoother than with Explorer besides seeming to be faster. Yesterday when I logged on I had a message from Chrome saying that 1Password was not approved by the Chrome Store and would no longer be operable. Sure enough the button no longer exists. I followed a couple of the help links and confirmed that 1Password has been unchecked and greyed out in the Chrome extensions. I am surprised I am not seeing more questions about this morning on the forum. How can I get this working again? It seems like Google Chrome is playing the Apple game of forcing everything through its store.

Comments

• Sherry Borsheim
    Sherry Borsheim
    Community Member

I've been a long time user of 1Password + Chrome and now the extension won't work due to new Chrome updates. When will 1Password be in the Chrome Webstore? This week I hope!!!

• Alex161
    Alex161
    Community Member
    edited June 2014

Must be a glitch somewhere. I am using Google Chrome on Windows7 PC, but with 1Password4 Beta, loaded yesterdy and don't have a problem. Prior to that, Chrome was not a problemwith 1 Password

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@brcs55‌ and @Sherry Borsheim

The 1Password extension is available on the Chrome Web Store (search for "1Password") but it looks like you manually have to delete the non-store version first and then install the store version.

There are two extensions called 1Password on Chrome Web Store. Both are legit, but they require different versions of the main 1Password program.

If you have 1Password 1 then you need the extension that has a version number that begins with 3. The other extension named 1Password in the store has a version number beginning with 4 and only works with 1Password 4. To make sure you get the right version, open the main 1Password program's preferences and download the Chrome extension from there.

However, before deleting any extension you should verify that the main 1Password application contains your current information. The Chrome extension holds its own copy of your 1Password data and sometimes this doesn't get synced with the main app.

• brcs55
    brcs55
    Community Member

I have only loaded extensions from within 1Password. I am currently running 1Password vers 1.0.9.341. When I go to browsers, I am running Chrome 35.0.1916.114. The installed extension is 3.9.21.90. I do not see how to delete the extension from within 1PW so are you suggesting this is done manually? Am I better off moving to the 1Password 4 version now as I assume that is the beta version? A little more detail would be helpful. Thank you.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited June 2014

@brcs55‌

I have only loaded extensions from within 1Password.

They were directing you to their own site for downloading the extension before, but this have changed now.

I do not see how to delete the extension from within 1PW so are you suggesting this is done manually

Yes, I think you need to delete it from Chrome's extensions page: chrome://extensions/ But remember, if the extension and main program for some reason are not synced, data can be lost if you delete the extension. Verify that your most current data is in the main program before deleting the extension.

Am I better off moving to the 1Password 4 version now as I assume that is the beta version?

Do you mean 1Password 4 as in the main program? You need that to use the new version 4 extension. Your current version of the main program (1.0.9) will not work with the version 4 extension (currently at 4.2.1.90).

To get 1Password 4, you will need to subscribe to the beta newsletter:

https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

They will send you a link to download 1Password 4. It's called "beta" so it will contain bugs (as with all software) but nothing serious.

But maybe you should try first replacing your version 3 non-store extension with version 3 store version.

• Sherry Borsheim
    Sherry Borsheim
    Community Member

Thanks everyone for your help. It was strange how it didn't appear on the web store, I rebooted my PC and it was there and successfully installed the Beta Test Extensions for Chrome and FireFox.

• brcs55
    brcs55
    Community Member

I was able to delete the non-store version and add it back again. The key button in chrome has returned so I am happy. Appreciate the insight on getting this resolved. Thank you.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry you are having this problem.

First of all, you need to un-install the (non-store) extension from Chrome:

1. Open Google Chrome
    2. Click on the hamburger button, located in the top-right corner in the browser toolbar
    3. Click on: Tools > Extensions
    4. Click on the trash can icon by 1Password.
    5. A confirmation dialog appears. Click on "Remove".

Now you can re-install our extension here:

1. Open 1Password
    2. Unlock
    3. Click on: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P)
    4. Click on the tab labelled "Browsers"
    5. Click on the button labelled "Install" for Google Chrome

Thanks!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

However, before deleting any extension you should verify that the main 1Password application contains your current information. The Chrome extension holds its own copy of your 1Password data and sometimes this doesn't get synced with the main app.

Really? I thought that both the app and the browser helper directly accessed the keychain so they should be no difference between the data available to them.

• frkendall
    frkendall
    Community Member

Any idea when Agilebits will submit 1Password to the Google Chrome store so it can be enabled?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@RichardPayne‌

Really? I thought that both the app and the browser helper directly accessed the keychain so they should be no difference between the data available to them.

This is about the version 3 extension. In version 4 the extension is dumber. It doesn't even have a UI.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited June 2014

It is on the web store. See this thread.

• Hi guys,

@RichardPayne:

That is true for the 1Password 4 apps, both Mac and Windows. The current 1Password 1.x for Windows and 1Password 3 for Mac had to store an encrypted db file in the extension's folder and use 1Password Helper to keep it in sync. These older extensions also powered their own HTML/CSS/Javascript-based front-end interface.

In 1Password 4 extensions, we've changed this completely and improved the 1Password Helper/Mini to not only pass the data to the extension but also power the native OS interface for the extension. When the extension needs the interface, it calls on Helper/Mini to do it and it uses that as the middleman for passing data in both directions. Thus, no need to have any database in the extension. The extension is needed for the direct access to the source code of the sites to handle the backend including the filling, detection of form submissions (auto-save), and so on.

This discussion has been closed.