File attachment deletions are not deleting across devices

Grunt_at_the_Point
Grunt_at_the_Point
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

This issue probably has been raised already but I will repeat it. First, I have the latest version of 1Password 4.5.1 (Mac App Store purchase) running on my IOS devices: iPad and iPhone. These devices are up to date with IOS 7.1.1. My Mac is running OS X 10.9.2 (Mac App Store). I’m using iCloud syncing.

From my Mac in the Identity category I have an identity setup with several file attachments. I deleted 5 of these files on my Mac but the files did not deleted on my IOS devices. Unless I am missing something there is no way to delete an attachment independently on my IOS devices.

In the Mini the deleted files are not showing. I presume the Mini is receiving its data directly from the MAC.

Thanks

Comments

• Grunt_at_the_Point
    Grunt_at_the_Point
    Community Member
    edited April 2014

Oh, My Mac is running 1Password 4.3.3 (MAS purchase).

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

+1 for me. I posted an identical experience this morning in another thread, so I won't repeat it here.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Any comment here? I'm curious is something is wrong with what we're doing.

• Grunt_at_the_Point
    Grunt_at_the_Point
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

Update - I updated 1Password to todays MAS release of version 4.4 on my MAC. Apparently 4.4 did not have a fix as the problem still persists.

• Grunt_at_the_Point
    Grunt_at_the_Point
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

hawkmoth, in response to an email to Agilebits support they responded back with the below propose fix. It didn't work for me but it might work for you:

On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences.

Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

Let me know if the remedy works for you. Thanks

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

OK, I'm back to report that the recommended process in post #3 of this thread does not solve the problem. Here is what I did:

Create new dummy record on Mac and include attachment. Verify that the attachment is delivered to the iOS devices. Once it's verified, delete the attachment from the Mac.

Turn off Dropbox syncing on iPhone and iPad. Quit both installations of 1P by removing from the multitask screen.

Turn off Dropbox syncing on the Mac and agree to delete the data from Dropbox. Wait for Dropbox to catch up with the deletion.

Quit Dropbox and mini.

Relaunch 1P on the Mac. Turn syncing with Dropbox back on and tell it where to put the data.

Wait for Dropbox to finish uploading the new database to the cloud.

Start 1Password on iPad. Turn on Dropbox syncing and follow the prompts to name the Dropbox data file to use.

Wait for syncing to show that it is done.

Go to dummy test record. Observe that the attachment remains.

Return to the Mac and add a new attachment to the dummy record.

Observe on the iPad that both the first deleted attachment and the new one are now in the record.

In other words, so far as I can tell, those instructions make no difference. Attachments that are deleted on the Mac remain on the iOS devices.

• Grunt_at_the_Point
    Grunt_at_the_Point
    Community Member

Just heard back from 1Password support. They informed me after testing, the issue is a bug and they hope to address it in a future update.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Yeah, they said the same thing in another thread here, but I thought it was worth a shot.

• Hi @Grunt_at_the_Point‌ and @hawkmoth‌,

Yes indeed, this is currently a bug with syncing attachments. We have this on our list and hope to get it fixed as soon as we can. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

FWIW I just encountered the same bug syncing from Windows to IOS.

• Jasper
    edited June 2014

Thanks for the report! This is still a known issue, and will be fixed in a future update.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Maybe it's just the hour, but "hope" to get it fixed in a future release sounds a little weak to me for a response on this one. "Commit" to get it fixed would seem to be in order one this one. It's not a requested new feature, after all.

• Grunt_at_the_Point
    Grunt_at_the_Point
    Community Member

@‌ hawkmoth - I'm running versions Mac 4.4.1 and IOS 4.5.2., I don't recall which but I believe update IOS 4.5.2 fixed the problem at least on my Mid 2012 Macbook Pro w/Retina, iPad Air, and iPhone 5s.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@Grunt_at_the_Point‌ - According to @JasperP‌ in the post above mine on June 13, the lack of ability to delete attachments on iOS when they are removed on the desktop version remains a known issue that they "hope" to get fixed in the future. That's consistent with my own experience too. If it's really working for you, I'd really like to know how you make it work.

You're saying that you can delete an attachment from a record on your OS X version and it gets deleted from your iOS installation?

• Jasper
    edited June 2014

Hi @hawkmoth‌,

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there (I've edited my post). This issue will be fixed in a future update (though I can't be certain when). I'll mention this again to the developers.

This is still an open issue in our tracker, and I just noticed the issue myself a few days ago, so as far as I know it still exists.

This discussion has been closed.