adding a new item, when inputting password extra characters randomly appear

saltavenger
saltavenger
Community Member

For example... I type in the characters "aar" ... it will repeat the characters I'm typing a ton of extra times. "aaraaraaraaaaar" I have to then delete them and go back and type a character, then it starts adding more...and I have to delete more etc.

This started once I downloaded the newest beta release (Version 4.0.0b18 Build 20140513).

I have a samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.3

Also, when I hit the table of contents button on the 'help" page it goes to nowhere

Comments

• Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have now received a couple of reports of this issue and it appears to be specific to Samsung devices. Could you please confirm a couple of things for me?

1. Have you installed any custom keyboards or input devices?
    2. Do you have any Samsung-specific features enabled?
    3. Does this only happen when entering characters in a password field or does this apply to all input fields?

These details will help us in identifying the source of this issue.

Also, thank you for mentioning that the table of contents button isn't working on the help page. It is currently being built up by our documentation team, so I will make sure to mention that the table of contents isn't working.

• wasabinator
    wasabinator
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

This seems to be the same issue that I have: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/25007/bug-in-password-card-entry

In my case it's happening on the default Samsung Keyboard. Highly suspect it is specific that keyboard, and two Samsung device users listing this as an issue probably isn't a coincidence...

Just to emphasise something I mentioned in my other post, it seems highly likely that the extra text is coming from the auto-complete suggestions somehow but regardless these suggestions shouldn't be enabled for password fields anyway (ie. android:inputType="text|textNoSuggestions" in the layout xml). Since it seems like this is a change in behaviour over previous betas, and lost somehow (refactoring code to use a common element perhaps?)

• @wasabinator‌ Our best guess at this point is also that this is specific to the Samsung keyboard. One interesting thing that I note from your comments above is that I don't see any auto-complete suggestions when I enter text into a password field on my Nexus device. That said, it is still possible that some changes at some point during the beta introduced a regression in this behaviour. I will flag this for our development team to investigate. Thanks for sharing your insights!

• nigelholderby
    nigelholderby
    Community Member

I, too, am experiencing this on my new Galaxy S5. Stock keyboard, stock 4.4.2. It is, indeed, as if the suggestions are somehow pasting in the password field without prompt to do so. I can't put a new password in the password field; instead, I have to put the password in the notes field as a temporary holding ground.

• osvaldsson
    osvaldsson
    Community Member

This happens on my Note 2, disabling Predictive Text is a workaround

• We released an update earlier today that addresses this issue. Once you get a chance to update to beta 19, could you please confirm if this resolves the problem on your device? Thanks in advance!

• osvaldsson
    osvaldsson
    Community Member

The issue has been resolved for me with the latest version.

• That's great to hear! Thanks for confirming that for us.

This discussion has been closed.