Several issues getting started with 1Password for Windows and iOS

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Rich Icons - Won't display on iPhone/iPad.

Comments

• Rabbit32
    Rabbit32
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I just bought and installed 1Password for Windows and iOS, and have spent a lot of time this weekend getting my data moved over from mSecure. (I'm on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit and iOS 7.1.1, and am using Dropbox sync. 1P is on my PC and iPhone, but not yet my iPad.)

I've run into a number of issues and am feeling quite frustrated at this point. Suffice it to say, if I weren't a database developer used to performing data conversions on a massive scale, I would have far stronger words here.

1. The Import function in the new Windows app is buggy. It failed to load anything beyond the Login name for about 5% of the logins I imported (from a meticulously prepared CSV file). Thankfully I did a fairly extensive sampling so I caught the problem before erasing my mSecure database. But this added hours to the data migration process (and I had less than 200 total entries to bring over). The only pattern I could find in the failed loads was that they seemed to occur when the preceding line in the CSV file had an entry with multiple occurrences of either colons, right parentheses, or exclamation points. But this circumstance sometimes had no effect on the following entry.

2. The online Knowledgebase isn't working. I clicked several of the links and got nothing.

3. The downloaded PDF version of the KB (dated June 18, 2014) has huge sections missing. For example, pages 23-26 have no information content on them whatsoever.

4. I've had some rich icons go away today. At one point, my iPhone still showed the icon, but the Windows app didn't. In other cases, the Windows app showed the icon but the iPhone app didn't. In one case, the iPhone icon was present until after I edited the Notes field of the entry (on the phone).

5. I can't get 1P to fill in my username and password at http://www.aetnanavigator.com/. Using Ctrl + \ doesn't work. I even went into Preferences - Logins (in the Windows app) and turned on Lenient URL matching and added aetna.com in Domain matching for aetnanavigator.com.

6. I had a lot of trouble with usbank.com. Initially, I let 1P create the Login entry by watching me manually log in to the web site. But when I looked at the entry on my iPhone today, I noticed that it had not stored my username (this also happened with 2 or 3 other logins). So I had to recreate this entry by scratch so it would store both my username and password. But now when I go to the web site, it requires me to use Ctrl + \ to enter the username, manually click the Login button to proceed to the next page, and then use Ctrl + \ to have it enter the password and complete the submit.

I realize I have included issues for both the Windows app & iOS app in this one post, but I'm just too frustrated and tired to separate them out into the other forum. I hope you can find the right people to address all these issues.

Thanks, Scott

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The Import function in the new Windows app is buggy

Do you happen to have sample CSV for me? I would love to reproduce and fix the problem you were having.

I've had some rich icons go away today

Please try this: File > Download Icons

• Rabbit32
    Rabbit32
    Community Member
    Options

I created a new vault and tried creating a small sample CSV file (10 items), but it imported all 10 without a problem. Then I tried importing my actual CSV file (having 92 logins) and it loaded fine. Argh!!

I then deleted all the items and moved the vault into Dropbox. With the vault in Dropbox, every time I load my 92-item file it loses the info on 3 or 4 items. And it loses it on different items with each load!! So it's not a "data" thing, per se. I did notice a few brief pauses while importing the file into my Dropbox-stored vault, so the data loss problem is probably related to that. Let me know if you need any clarifications or further details.

Incidentally, how can I delete this test vault from both my Dropbox and my local PC drive?

Thanks, Scott

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

how can I delete this test vault from both my Dropbox and my local PC drive?

The same way you delete any local file: locate it in your Dropbox local folder hierarchy, and delete it. Of course, it's probably a good idea not to have it open in 1Password at the time. As an alternative, you could delete it from our private dropbox.com web site and let Dropbox handle syncing that deletion to all associated devices. If you're not sure the name of the vault, see the General tab of 1Password preferences or the File > Reopen 1Password Vault command.

The online Knowledgebase isn't working. I clicked several of the links and got nothing.

I'm not able to reproduce that problem. Can you tell us some specific links, page numbers, or URLs? Thanks!

The downloaded PDF version of the KB (dated June 18, 2014) has huge sections missing. For example, pages 23-26 have no information content on them whatsoever.

The PDF is just a "rendering" of what's in the online version. Because the Knowledgebase covers all supported platforms, and the documentation for those platforms is maintained separately, there are sections that simply don't have information yet. I've generated a "fresh" version of the PDF with empty sections hidden, which I hope will be less confusing.

I can't get 1P to fill in my username and password at http://www.aetnanavigator.com/. Using Ctrl + \ doesn't work. I even went into Preferences - Logins (in the Windows app) and turned on Lenient URL matching and added aetna.com in Domain matching for aetnanavigator.com.

I just visited that URL, entered a fake username and password, submitted the form, and accepted 1Password's immediate offer to save a Login for the site.

Then I visited the URL again and pressed Ctrl+\; 1Password correctly filled and submitted the form with the fake values it had saved.

Of course, the login attempt failed, as I don't have an account at that site, but 1Password performed as expected, so I'm not able to reproduce the problem you describe.

I had a lot of trouble with usbank.com. Initially, I let 1P create the Login entry by watching me manually log in to the web site. But when I looked at the entry on my iPhone today, I noticed that it had not stored my username (this also happened with 2 or 3 other logins). So I had to recreate this entry by scratch so it would store both my username and password. But now when I go to the web site, it requires me to use Ctrl + \ to enter the username, manually click the Login button to proceed to the next page, and then use Ctrl + \ to have it enter the password and complete the submit.

I have a single Login item for my USBank account. It contains my username and password, along with this URL:

https://www4.usbank.com/internetBanking/RequestRouter?requestCmdId=DisplayLoginPage

Clicking on that URL in the main 1Password program (or selecting my Login item for USBank in the 1Password extension for Chrome) causes 1Password to open the specified web page, where I press Ctrl+L to tell 1Password that I want it to fill and submit this first page of the bank's three-page login process.

The second page is where the random question appears. I enter the correct answer (I could use 1Password to do this, too; I've just not bothered to set that up for this particular site) and press Enter to submit the form.

The third page is the password prompt. I press Ctrl+\ again to tell 1Password that I want it to fill and submit that form.

Please see Creating a multi-page Login in the user's guide for full details.

• Rabbit32
    Rabbit32
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not able to reproduce that problem. Can you tell us some specific links, page numbers, or URLs? Thanks!

I think I was clicking on the heading description, rather than the ">" symbol. I've never seen an interface where you click the symbol to display the text, and I was tired and frustrated at the time.

For the downloadable KB file, I think it's probably good to hide the empty sections.

I will try those 2 URLs using the methods you describe, and see if I have better luck with them. But not tonight; I've just been putting together a debug package for Eva and Stefan (for my import problems).

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Scott

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My pleasure, Scott.

Thanks for helping us make 1Password better!

This discussion has been closed.