Where is reveal and copy button in Windows App?

Options

hey there, maybe I'm blind. :) I'm using 1PW for mac and windows. In Mac App I click a password item - there I have a button to copy or revael button for the password or unencrypted text items. In Windows have these button in browser extensions - great. But where is it in Windows App? Did I miss something?

Comments

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member
    Options

In version 4, click on a Login in the upper right pane (the list of all your logins), and in the lower right pane you will see the details of that Login. To the right of where it says "Password: *********" you will see the copy, Auto-Type and lock icons.

Or have I misunderstood the question?

• Michael Friedrich
    Michael Friedrich
    Community Member
    Options

@Thack Ah now I see my problem - I don't see the "window frame" in right lower side - its not there. (just found it after your tipp on 1Password public webpage in a screenshot) - my list of login items goes all the way down. my Screen is just divided into 2 parts - left with categories, favorites and right the list of login items. Nothing more. Can I enable this view somehow, did I disable that? (PS: Im coming from 1PW over 1PW 4 Betas to now production version)

• Michael Friedrich
    Michael Friedrich
    Community Member
    Options

Got it - reinstalled 1Password. Now it makes sense :)

• MikeT
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @Michael Friedrich‌,

That's weird, we do have a limit of how far the divider goes down, so people don't accidentally lose it. You didn't see this part?

• Michael Friedrich
    Michael Friedrich
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

@MikeT Nope :( That's what I investigated also (resizing window etc.). At first I guesses I reduced the size to invisible by accident. But there was nothing. After uninstall and install of 1PW it works again. I tried to reproduce by reduzing the frame size, but like in your screen its blocked - not possible to make it smaller. So can't reproduce any more. shrug

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Michael Friedrich‌,

Thanks for the additional information. If you do manage to reproduce this, please let us know. I've tried several things to break this but I couldn't.

Hopefully, it was just a weird glitch that shouldn't happen again.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

@‌MikeT
    I'm guessing that this might be a hang over from before you fixed it.

@Michael Friedrich

[MikeT, removed to prevent potential breakage on other systems]

If I set this value to 1024 then the preview panel disappears off the bottom of the window never to be seen again. Try setting your's to a smaller value. 100 for example. Once the splitter bar is back on screen then the new sizing code should kick in a prevent you from losing it again (unless you edit the registry again ;)).

Note that you need to completely reload the app for this work, so close using File > Exit.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

@RichardPayne‌ I appreciate what you're doing, but I'd rather not give our customers instructions on how to hack the registry and then break things for them :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch‌ sorry, did I not inflict the usual "death by a thousand backups" instructions first? :p
    If you don't want to issue such advice then I understand, but as a matter of forum policy, are you telling your customers that we can not help each other out in that way?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RichardPayne I'd rather tell them how to fix the problem than how to (re)create the problem. I do appreciate helping each other out, by the way. 1Password customers are great and your contributions are among the best.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

oh, sorry, was I not clear that the SplitHorz key could be reduced to bring the splitter bar back into sight?

I suspect that other than that, there's no a lot that we can do to fix the root problem. I'd hazard a guess that the root of the problem is that the software is not validating the values it reads from the registry. In this case, it's reading a height in pixels that is bigger than the window.

Incidentally, when playing with this I noticed a load of redraw issues with the "1Password" logo on the lower right pane. Try maximising/restoring the window and also moving the splitter bar about. I noticed graphical corruption as well as the minimum height of the lower right pane being too small to avoid cropping the logo.

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, yeah, well spotted. If I lower the splitter and raise it again, the bottom 80% of the logo disappears so I can see just the very tips of "1", "P", "o" and "d". The only way to restore it is to resize the window.

Also, it's very jaggy at small sizes. Normally I'd expect graphics to get jaggy at larger sizes, but there you go.

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

In fact, there's all sorts of strange behaviour going on. If you lower the splitter it enforces a certain minimum size for that pane, which is fine - normal behaviour. However, that splitter also limits the minimum height for the window, as follows:

Make the window fairly tall, lower the splitter to about 25% of the way up, and then "lift" the bottom of the window to reduce the height of the window. It stops resizing when the bottom right pane reaches a certain minimum size, but that size is different from what happens when you move the splitter. I think they should be the same.

But in any case this is not normal behaviour for a Windows application. The minimum window size does not normally alter depending on how the user has arranged the splitters. Normally resizing the window from the bottom would push the splitter up, ahead of it, until the "proper" minimum height is reached.

None of this is urgent, but I think that area of the code needs a polish.

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

I've just experimented with Windows Live Mail, which uses a similar system of panes inside an overall window. Resizing vertically does as I describe: the splitter moves as I move the bottom edge of the window, maintaining the same pane proportions until the windows reaches its preset minimum height. That minimum height never changes, regardless of where I put the splitter before resizing.

I've also tested XanaNews (another Delphi program), which again uses panes inside a window. Once again the minimum size of the window is not affected by the position of the splitter. In this case the splitter is not "pushed up" ahead of the bottom edge of the window; rather it stays where it is and gets hidden by the bottom edge. The window continues to reduce until it meets the minimum set by the programmer. Not as good as WLM, but it "feels" consistent with Windows behaviour.

Yep, definitely a polish needed, but not top priority.

• Michael Friedrich
    Michael Friedrich
    Community Member
    Options

@‌Thack: I haven't played around with registry - but is it possible, that during the Beta releases something went wrong here? I just updated from Beta to Production version and I'm not sure if this issue existed since a while even in Beta (I haven't opened the app since a long time, just used browser plugin) - maybe in one of the former releases something was changed.

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Michael Friedrich‌: As a software developer (in a small way) myself, I strongly suspect the weaknesses in the code for handling window resizing and splitter movements has been there ever since v4 was first written. Despite its apparent simplicity to the user, the software for handling all the possible user interface interactions (including deliberately trying to break it, like I was) can get awfully complicated.

I can't actually reproduce the problem you had, but I suspect it is exactly as @RichardPayne‌ suggests: for some reason an invalid value for the splitter position got stored in the registry, and the program doesn't check it for "sanity" when it gets read back.

• Michael Friedrich
    Michael Friedrich
    Community Member
    Options

@Thack yes - but I think if there is no one else, perhaps no need to investigate more here. It works for me now and I'm happy with 1PW

• MikeT
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@Michael Friedrich‌, I'm glad you're happy. :P

@RichardPayne, we want folks to help each other but at the same time, not everybody understand the consequences of randomly trying everything on the forum. That's why we remove broken/outdated information as often as we can to reduce these occurrences. If someone tries something and it results into data loss, it is us who will be at fault regardless of who shared the info.

If you'd like to ask someone to try something specifically, there is the private message option and/or ping the AgileBits staff to get involved to see if it's safe to share.

This discussion has been closed.