I get the spinning pin wheel -- for EVERYTHING

mark905
mark905
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
When I open 1Password, everthting is taking 20 to 30 secs to work. This just started. Whatever I click on activates the spinning pin wheel. I wanted to edit an account and literally gave up. Anybody know what this is? Is there a solution? Thanks;

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, Mark. I'm sorry for the trouble. Off the top of my head, I can't say what might be causing the problem. The easiest thing to do would be to send us your diagnostics so we can investigate further. You can generate the report from 1Password by clicking the Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report... menu item and then sending the report to us at support@agile.ws using Mail.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can 'connect the dots'.
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    mark905 wrote:
    When I open 1Password, everthting is taking 20 to 30 secs to work. This just started.

My first guess is you are storing your 1Password data on a remote drive like MobileMe. Where are you keeping your data?
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    Mark just off hand would you happen to have glims installed ? A week or so ago, I had a problem between it and 1P then I updated glims this helped, but since then I just removed glims all together.
    I am a lot happier now especially since in safari you can now open a closed tab w/ cmd - z

My delays at opening are more in the 2 or 3 second range now.
  • AlphonseElric
    AlphonseElric
    Community Member
    I have been having a similar issue, but worse. I use DropBox for syncing. I cannot do anything within the 1Password app, and once I switch focus, I can't ever get it back and have to force quit. This obviously means I can't send the diagnostics report using the method you outline above. I am pretty sure my DB is intact (or mostly intact) since I can use the Safari button to fill passwords and can use 1Password Anywhere to access my other data. I'm not sure but I suspect this may be related to using the Windows beta also synced with my DropBox.

I saved a backup of my database from before this issue began (I think) but I have no idea how to switch to that database. Also, it would be fantastic if I could sort 1Password Anywhere by creation date so I could save the last few entires I created which are not in the backup database.

Thanks in advance!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi AlphonseElric,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this problem. It sounds like your 1Password installation may be damaged. To resolve this:

1. Download 1Password from our web site:
    http://agilewebsolutions.com/downloads
    Click on the "Download Now" button to the right of "1Password 3"
    2. Quit your web browser and 1Password, if it's running
    3. Open your Applications folder and drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Install the new copy of 1Password you just downloaded
    5. Run 1Password and then your web browser

Your information is stored in a data file separate from the application, so it will not be harmed by this procedure.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • AlphonseElric
    AlphonseElric
    Community Member
    Thanks for the idea Khad,

I actually tried replacing 1Password 3 times, each time an update came out after the problem started. Just to be certain, I tried it again just now and I'm getting the same symptoms. I still get the SPOD n launch, the app just stops responding almost as soon as I launch it, and I'm still able to use the data in Safari (though the button sometimes disappears for a while until I cycle Safari a few times). This happens on both of my Macs so that would seem to point to a problem with the data, not the application.

-b.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm sorry you are still having trouble.

Have you already tried rebuilding your data file?

Help > Troubleshooting > Rebuild Data File…

If that doesn't help, could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? This will help us track down the issue more quickly. You can generate the report from 1Password on your Mac by clicking the Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report... menu item and then attach the report to an e-mail to support@agile.ws. Please include a link to this thread so we can "connect the dots."

Please do not post your diagnostics report in the forums.
  • AlphonseElric
    AlphonseElric
    Community Member
    I cannot rebuild the data file or send a diagnostic report. I get the SPOD as soon as I launch 1Password. I just tried deleting my 1Password.agilekeychain and 1Password launched just fine, asking me if I wanted to set it up a new data file or restore from backup. I have backups going back to May of this year, but no matter how far I go back, I still get the SPOD when 1Password relaunches with data. I'm happy to send you system logs or crash reports or dig around in the file system to find anything else that you think might be of help, but I can't send anything that relies on functions in the application to generate.

thanks
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    If you cannot run 1Password to generate the diagnostics report, you can do it manually using the Terminal application. Launch Terminal.app (which can be found in /Applications/Utilities) and then paste this command into the Terminal window and press RETURN.

ruby /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Scripts/diagnostics.rb

This should create a file called something like "1Password Troubleshooting.html" in the Folder Home > Library > Application Support > 1Password > Diagnostics.

"Home" is your own account's main folder. In the Finder's sidebar it's represented by an icon of a house with your account's name beside it. Choose the Troubleshooting file that was most recently updated if there are multiple files.
  • AlphonseElric
    AlphonseElric
    Community Member
    Thanks, Khad, I just generated and sent the report. Thank god for command line scripting!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2010
    Thank you for letting us help! I just replied to your e-mail. See you "over there." :-)

UPDATE: Everything worked out well! There were some conflicted items in the keychain, but once we manually got those out of the way, 1Password started right up and repairing the keychain was no problem. :-)
This discussion has been closed.