Title Bar Shows 1Password 3 versus 1 Password 4

steve12
steve12
Community Member
edited June 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I’m using the new release v4.0.0.499; however, the title bar shows 1Password – 1Password 3 (see attached screen print). I’m a little confused why the title bar shows version 3 and not 4. I assume based on the About window that I included in the screen print, I’m running the later version. I just want to confirm there are no additional steps that I need to take to ensure I’m running the correct version.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

The title bar shows "name of program - name of vault"; so you're running "1Password", and your vault is "1Password 3.agilekeychain" (which you should be able to confirm on the General tab of 1Password preferences).

Compare these images:

If your vault is named "1Password.agilekeychain" (the default), 1Password doesn't show the vault name in the title bar:

• steve12
    steve12
    Community Member

DBrown,
    Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate your quick response.

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

@DBrown, I've seen repeated confusion about what vault is open or would be opened on unlock. Here's a suggestion for a feature request. Where your three examples have "1Password - test" and "1Password - demo" and "1Password [whitespace]" how about making it more clear that this is a vault name. So something like "1Password vault: test" or "1Password vault: demo" or "1Password vault: main vault". And it would be even better if the name of the vault would respond to a mouse hover by displaying the full filesystem path to the vault, at least on systems where this makes sense. (Like the way in firefox, a mouse hovering over the house symbol in the toolbar shows the URL of the home page.)

• Hi @bkh,

I've seen repeated confusion about what vault is open or would be opened on unlock.

We do explain what vault you're unlocking when you're looking at the lock screen:

I'll see if we can change the extension's UI (via non-secure desktop prompt) to match the main app naming scheme with Your Testing Vault is Locked.

I don't think there is a need to add the vault part to the titlebar, we haven't seen much confusion over this. Once people starts getting used to the new expanded multiple vaults feature in 1Password 4, they'd likely choose a name that doesn't include 1Password in it in order to tell the vaults apart. Having 1Password <1...3> wouldn't help with this, so it'd be better to rename your data files instead.

And it would be even better if the name of the vault would respond to a mouse hover by displaying the full filesystem path to the vault,

I don't think it's possible for us to do this. I'll ask but in the meantime, you can click on the 1Password icon to see the full paths:

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

I like the look of the third image that has the vault path in the bottom line and it also looks like it has a control to the left of the unlock button that (possibly; I hope) would enable a vault change. Could we please get the full pathname feature and the switch vault feature for the unlock on secure desktop? (I'm using firefox 4.2.2 plugin and release 499 main app.)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@bkh, that third screen shot in MikeT's reply, above, is what you see when you unlock a vault from the Firefox extension, and the little control does present a dropdown list of recently opened vaults.

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    edited July 2014

@DBrown, then I have a bug to report. I have two vaults that I use, one for routine web sites and another for financial sites. I do not get the little control with a dropdown list of recently opened vaults, nor the full pathname of the vault in a bottom line, neither via the browser plugin key symbol nor from unlocking the main app by clicking the padlock in the windows taskbar (both cases unlocking on secure desktop). Firefox plugin 4.2.3.b1 in Firefox 30.0 on Windows 7 Pro running 1Password 4.0.1.BETA-501.

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

I just double-checked the bug to make sure the problem doesn't have to do with how recent the "recently opened vaults" have been unlocked. I unlocked one vault, locked it, file>reopen the other vault, locked it, unlocked it.

At present, for me, switching vaults requires cancelling out of the secure desktop to go to the main app where file > reopen is available, which then pitches me back onto the secure desktop with the other vault showing in the "Your xyz Vault is Locked" title. At no time on the secure desktop have I seen a "choose vault" control or the vault pathname in a line at the bottom. Suggestions?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@bkh I'm afraid Secure Desktop unlock does not support vault switching.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I'm afraid Secure Desktop unlock does not support vault switching.

Is there a technical reason for that? Given that you're now automatically switching to the secure desktop before the user has a chance to select a vault, you really should offer the choice on the secure desktop.

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

@svondutch thanks for the clarification. Please add this to the list of requested features (if it is not already there).

• Hi guys,

I'll follow up and see what's up.

Note that you can cancel the secure desktop prompt to be taken back to the desktop program, change the vault there, and then unlock on secure desktop again.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@MikeT‌
    You can, but that's hardly a smooth workflow.

• MikeT
    edited July 2014

HI @RichardPayne,

We wouldn't be here if it was. :P

After talking with the engineering team, switching the vault in the Secure Desktop process would require more handling than we're currently prepared to do when communicating the data back to the main app. The Secure Desktop has to be run from a separate process and we're minimizing the data flow as much as we can.

So it may be possible in the future, just not now.

This discussion has been closed.