Feature Request!!

Options
Jacob_Hill
Jacob_Hill
Community Member

Hey Guys!!

I've got an idea, well, it's not really an idea, more of a modification to how you lock the app...

To manually lock the app, you have to go to the app settings, security and then tap 'lock'.

I was thinking whether you guys could update the app moving the lock button to the first main settings page or even a lock button on the top right corner if every screen...

I think this idea would be fantastic and add to security of 1Password (also preventing other people spying on others looking at 1Password, or leaving an easy option for people to lock the app when they accidentally leave their phone on the table while 1PW is unlocked).

Cheers!

Jacob Hill

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Jacob_Hill‌,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. We used to have it in the main settings area in the past but we didn't get any issues when we moved it into the Security area. We wanted to keep things consistent with the layout and just show the areas of focus in Settings.

As for having a persistent lock button, it would accidentally lock the app too often, and that would be irritating, especially when folks have long master passwords to unlock.

leaving an easy option for people to lock the app when they accidentally leave their phone on the table while 1PW is unlocked).

That's why we have a few options to handle this. We have the automatic lock option, which would be more helpful if you use the Quick Unlock feature. Even with just a 4-digit PIN code, you can simply have it locked within a minute and also to lock on exit. So, if you close the app, it automatically locks and/or if you leave the iPhone, it'd lock on its own for a minute. For your needs, lock on exit would do what you want since you can just close the app to automatically lock it.

• Rabbit32
    Rabbit32
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with Jacob. A Lock button at the bottom left of every screen is really needed. Having to do 3 separate taps (and think about which buttons to push) makes it too slow and too much of a pain to use on a regular basis. Not to mention, after locking it this way you're then thrown in to the Security screen of Settings the next time you log in (requiring an extra 2 taps just to get back to where you want to be).

And one shouldn't have to deal with the UX complexity and security implications of managing and using a 4-digit PIN in addition to the master password.

As for the concern that a persistent lock button would accidentally lock the app too often, that's just something you need to design around. When I used mSecure on my iPhone, I would tap their persistent Lock button just about every time I was done using the app. And not once did I ever lock it by mistake.

Here's one way to design around this concern: Take the functionality that's currently in the Organize button and move it into a new section within the Categories main screen (or vice versa). Then you could eliminate the Organize button, slide the Favorites button one spot to the right, and insert a nice Lock button on the far left!!

This is getting a bit off-topic, but as it is now, it's not really all that useful to have Categories and Organized Folders as separate ways of filtering your items. It would be much more helpful if I could, say, set it to show me my Personal Credit Cards right now, and then by Work Logins another time (Personal and Work are my 2 folders).

But back to the topic at hand, having a persistent Lock button really ought to be something you can design in to the UI. It would give people a powerful option while keeping things simple.

Thanks for considering this.

• MikeT
    Options

We'll see what we can do, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

This discussion has been closed.