Breach Browser

Options
ethansisson
ethansisson
Community Member

Something interesting to keep an eye on: http://breach.cc

I imagine this may mature into a popular browser option (especially for tinkerers). I'm having fun with it, anyway. Perhaps someday it will be worth the time required to do a 1Password mini integration for Breach.

Cheers!

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds like a security nightmare for most non-technical users.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Chrome's extension HTTP Switchboard is complicated enough, thanks.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/http-switchboard/mghdpehejfekicfjcdbfofhcmnjhgaag/details?hl=en-US

"HTTP Switchboard (FOSS) put you in FULL control of where your browser is allowed to connect, what type of data it is allowed to download, and what it is allowed to execute. Nobody else decides for you: You choose. You are in full control of your privacy."

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just a personal opinion but I don't think it will be a popular browser by virtue of being only of interest to tinkerers.

I'm glad you're having fun playing with it though :-)

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member
    Options

Breach isn't meant for non-technical users. Even so, I'm not sure what about it you're referring to that makes it somehow inherently less secure than Chrome or Firefox.

Just a personal opinion but I don't think it will be a popular browser by virtue of being only of interest to tinkerers.

I guess I wasn't clear, but I wasn't suggesting that it would be popular among mainstream users. It's intended as a platform for experimenting with new ideas to make browsers suck less (since no one has so far managed to make a good one). However, I can easily imagine it becoming a good general-use browser for developers/other technical users, depending on how it evolves. It's my impression that those kinds of users are a big segment of the 1Password userbase.

Anyway, maybe it goes no where.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Even so, I'm not sure what about it you're referring to that makes it somehow inherently less secure than Chrome or Firefox.

It just introduces more ways to get malicious code in the chain. Granted, if it's all open source then you get a little protection, depending on how active the code reviewers are. And then there's always the "unintended side effects" which come when any independently designed software interoperates, no matter how well the interface is specified.

I guess I wasn't clear, but I wasn't suggesting that it would be popular among mainstream users.

Indeed you were not clear:

I imagine this may mature into a popular browser option (especially for tinkerers).

No mention of limiting your statement to technical users.

It's my impression that those kinds of users are a big segment of the 1Password userbase.

I obviously don't work for the company so I'm just spit balling here, but I would guess that technical users make up a large portion of the vocal 1Password user base not necessarily of the entire user base.

It would be interesting to see the numbers though.

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member
    Options

Alrighty. Interesting perspective.

This discussion has been closed.