Android app WILL NOT import the .PIF from 1 PW 4 for OSX

peeeeeanut
peeeeeanut
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Android

The file simply isn't pick-able using 1 PW for Android. I can see the 'attachments' and 'previews' folders on my device but no .PIF file appears in the app as a selection (although I can see it on my device using File Transfer for Android.) The parent folder also is not pick-able - it simply opens to reveal the child folders rather than being accepted by the program as a 'vault.'

Doesn't help there's no 'support' page for 1 PW for Android, which might list any one of the myriad known issues with this release. I don't even begin to know where to start to trouble shoot it.

Can't even download/use 1 PW Reader as it's been removed from the Google Play store (and I stupidly removed it before I realized 1 PW 4 A wouldn't work.)

("Sync"? Sync with what? I don't use Dropbox and I don't understand why the developers would assume I'd be using the same parent folder for my 1 PW for OSX exports every time. NOT happy with what seems to be an uncharacteristic lack of support from Agile.)

Comments

• peeeeeanut
    peeeeeanut
    Community Member

Long story short, I think I'm doing everything as I should - export a PIF file of "everything" from 1PW4 on my Macbook, copy the folder with the enclosed info onto the SD card onto my Android device, open 1 PW for Android, select the saved folder/info on my device's SD card, wait as 1 PW Android imports it all.

And yet - when I search for a wanted login, if I created it on my desktop recently it doesn't exist in 1 PW on the Android device. Some logins show very, very old credentials.

What on earth is going on here? I'm 1000% sure I am NOT using an old file export. I have deleted all old information off my device. Getting ready to leave town for a vacation and badly will need updated, current login information - heck of a time for old reliable 1 PW to go all sideways on me :(

• peeeeeanut
    peeeeeanut
    Community Member

Aw sheesh, nevermind - turns out I should have been -1000% sure. Overlooked an old file hiding in one of my DCIM folders. Thanks for reading!

• peeeeeanut
    peeeeeanut
    Community Member

However, now I can't seem to import the new data - 1 PW asks for 'select vault' and only two options are shown: "attachments" and "previews." No info on actual logins.

Man, I really miss syncing using iOS. Having to constantly manually update my logins is the one thing I really regret about having ditched my iPhone.

• peeeeeanut
    peeeeeanut
    Community Member

I can see the .PIF file but cannot select it. Only the 'attachments' and 'previews' folders will select as options. Great. Just what I needed - sinking hours into fooling with this today...

• peeeeeanut
    peeeeeanut
    Community Member

Cannot import my file from MBP - The .pif file will not appear in the software as an option despite my being able to see it on the device using Android File Transfer.

The only things I can pick in 1 PW itself are "attachments" and "previews." Sure would be nice if there were a support page for this software, phone support, or some other way to find out how to get the information I desperately need onto my device in the short window of time I have to fool with this before leaving for vacation.

• peeeeeanut
    peeeeeanut
    Community Member

p.s. no "just use Dropbox" replies please - there is no way I will ever consider uploading my most closely-held information - bank accounts, SSNs etc - to a third party cloud service under any circumstances.

• peeeeeanut
    peeeeeanut
    Community Member

Was able to re-download 1 PW Reader and now even THAT won't recognize a .PIF I created in either 1 PW 3 or 4. Guess I get to haul my laptop with me everywhere - not an optimal solution but beats having no access to a vital database I've created over the past 4 years and now can't access on my handheld…..!

• peeeeeanut
    peeeeeanut
    Community Member
    edited June 2014

Was able to re-download 1 PW Reader from Amazon and now even that won't read a PIF exported from either 1 PW 3 or 4. What on earth is causing this? Why is there no support page for 1 PW for Android?!

• I’m really sorry about the problems you’re experiencing with syncing data in 1Password. Syncing in 1Password requires the encrypted .agilekeychain folder, not a .1pif folder. Here are the differences between the two formats:

• 1PIF (1Password Interchange Files) is designed for moving your 1Password data once from one computer to another. These files are not encrypted. Your data in the .1pif file is stored in plain text, so you will need to delete it securely on both machines once you have completed the transfer. You should avoid sharing this folder with anyone.

• AGILEKEYCHAIN is your encrypted 1Password data file used for syncing between devices. Your .agilekeychain is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm.

Please let our team know if you have access to 1Password on a Mac or Windows computer and we will provide you with all the necessary steps to export your data into an .agilekeychain format.

The 1Password 4 for Android documentation can be found here: http://www.manula.com/manuals/agilebits/1password-android/4/en/topic/welcome

• klindberg
    klindberg
    Community Member

Hi,

I'm using 1Password on the Macintosh also and syncing via iCloud.

I'm having the same issue with trying to sync with Android. I've already tried the same things peeeeeanut tried with no success.

How do I get an .agilekeychain folder that I can send to 1Password on Android?

I can copy the .agilekeychain folder to my Android device, I just need to know how to create the .agilekeychain folder.

Thank you,

Ken

• klindberg
    klindberg
    Community Member

Hi,

I just checked the agilebits.com website again and cannot find what email to send to to request help with exporting my 1Password data into an .agilekeychain format. I am using 1Password on a Macintosh and want to get an .agilekeychain folder to transfer to the Android version of 1Password.

Please send a link to instructions on how to do that, or an email link of somebody I can get that information from.

Thank you,

Ken

• Hi @klindberg. You have two options in this case, you can choose to sync to a folder and manually copy over the .agilekeychain to your Android device to set up local storage sync, or you can set up Dropbox sync and let 1Password for Android automatically connect and stay up-to-date with your Mac. The instructions for setting up Dropbox sync and Folder sync on your Mac can be found here. This will create the .agilekeychain. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Our support email address is: support+android@agilebits.com

• klindberg
    klindberg
    Community Member

Hi Saad,

That worked!

Thank you!

Ken

• You're very welcome. Thank you for letting us know that worked! :)

This discussion has been closed.