Rich text notes request

Options
laptopleon
laptopleon
Community Member

(In most forums, it is not appreciated to 'up' old threads by posting to them, so I started a new thread)

As a web designer and 'designated family sysop', I have a lot of logins, server names, etc. to keep track of. Usually there are some 'details' that are just as crucial as the login itself. Those, one typically stores in the 'notes' field. Although it isn't perfectly intuitive yet, 1Password is way better than my old method.

I use the notes a few times a day and have often wondered, why it has no rich text option? It would be very useful to me to be able to use bold to highlight a few words here and strikethrough some old passwords there, that I don't want to delete completely for reference later.

I know the right text request has been brought up before, but it was never implemented. I would really appreciate it. Would you please consider it?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @laptopleon.

Thanks for the suggestion. Rich text support for Secure Notes, especially Markdown syntax, is under consideration. Here's another topic suggesting and discussing it:

Secure Notes Feature Request [Under consideration along with markdown syntax]

With a bit more scattered in: here.

New in 4.1.1, as a possible alternative location for your old passwords:

• Added the ability to create custom password fields for your items.

And Login items already store Previously used passwords automatically.

I hope that's helpful. :)

• laptopleon
    laptopleon
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry I didn't react earlier, but I assumed I'd receive an email notification (turned it on now) and read it just now.

I came back to check on a possible progress of the rich text feature request of others. The Markdown syntax feature request is closed now, but it had quite a few +1 reactions, right?

I'm a web designer and I use 1Password for (among other things) keeping track of web hosting accouts. It's often a lot of information. Think of: domain names, involved clients and others, login of installed software like Wordpress, email accounts, FTP, database login, URLs of webmail, the Google web masters account involved, etc, etc.

As you can imagine, it's not worth it to put all these in separate field. The Notes field is very helpful though. It would be even more helpful if I could highlight parts with bold text etc. Bold and strikethrough are favorite, but why not just go for rich text so everybody can do their favorite style?

Thanks for considering it.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @laptopleon,

Thanks for checking back, but no progress here yet. It's something that we're considering for the future, but no guarantees if/when it will happen.

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to chime in here and say that some of my longer notes are just plain hard to read because I can't add bold, or color etc. Seriously, it's 2014 now and plain text only notes for such a popular application is kind of a disgrace for you guys. Just saying...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanking for chiming in about this, @MickM. :)

Having notes limited to plain text can be understandably frustrating. Your desire for richer formatting support has been noted!

internal reference number: OPM-1099

This discussion has been closed.