Browser integration

Options
claudiop
claudiop
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Android

Hi
Been using the beta for over a month on android os 4.2.1 and build 4.0.0b9 (20140124)

I like the development and the ability to create/add new passwords from within the app. But what I really need is the same functionality and browser integration that 1password has on both Mac and PC with its browser plugins (eg for standard android browser, Chrome, Firefox etc). Am I missing something?

Cheers

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I may be wrong but I think it's for the same reason that there's no browser plugins in the current release. Android does not allow apps to talk to each other in that way. Chrome does not even support extensions on Android. Firefox does but the selection is limited. I assume the restrictions of the Android platform make porting many of the common extensions difficult.

• claudiop
    claudiop
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that. Had this feeling that LastPass did... I'll have to have a look. Pity, that's the functionality that I use most

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I feel your pain. It's such a ball ache dropping out to the standalone 1p app to copy a password and head back in to what you were doing.

• @RichardPayne, you are correct that there is no support for browser extensions in mobile Chrome at the moment. And support for extensions in many of the other browsers is limited or non-existent. This presents a challenge for us as we use extensions to integrate the desktop versions of our apps with browsers.

On iOS, we responded to this challenge by building our own 1Browser into 1Password 4. On Android, we have an opportunity to do something similar. However, because Android has different restrictions and limitations when compared to iOS, we are also exploring other options as well. However we end up implementing this, I assure you that we are not satisfied to simply leave you to copy and paste login items on your own :)

• @claudiop and @RichardPayne: Since this thread is about the 1Password 4 beta, I moved it into the Android beta forum. Feel free to share additional thoughts and suggestions on the beta here.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

With iOS, did you roll your own or did you base on WebKit? If the latter, which way are you swinging at the moment for Android, Chromium or Mozilla?

I curious, what are the other options on Android?

• Within the App Store guidelines, there is a clause which says:

Apps that browse the web must use the iOS WebKit framework and WebKit Javascript

This means that using other frameworks (WebKit or otherwise) on iOS is not an option, so the 1Browser is based on the iOS WebKit framework. On Android, the default option provided by the SDK is WebView which is based on WebKit (prior to Android 4.4) and Blink (Android 4.4). Aside from a Gecko framework, I'm not aware of too much else out there that isn't based on WebKit or its derivatives.

• smazzletoff
    smazzletoff
    Community Member
    Options

This stinks. I've been a long time user of 1Password, but because development didn't keep up with the times I was forced to use another app that works with Android Firefox and my Mac seamlessly. I used to think 1Password was cutting edge on my Mac back in the day, but now it's in the stone ages when it comes to mobile integration.

• saad
    Options

I'm very sorry to hear that. We have a number of features that are currently under development that I hope will change your mind. Of course, the best way to learn about these features as they become available is to remain in our beta program, so I would encourage you to do that. Our blog is also a great place to stay up to date! Thanks again for your feedback!

This discussion has been closed.