When I update a PW and then save the new PW to 1password, I try to login using 1password and fail

Hi, thanks in advance for your help. I've been having some very strange issues with 1pw. Recently I've been changing PWs using the PW generator in 1pw. The new PWs are accepted by the site, and then I paste them into 1PW (using the Chrome plugin). I can clearly see that they change when they are pasted. Then when I logout from the web site I've just changed my PW in and try to log back in using the 1pw plugin, it fails. I can then go to that particularly login info in the 1pw plugin, copy the PW, and paste into the browser, and voila, it works. I have no idea why this is happening, but it's happened with three or four sites now. Any idea what is going on? Is my plugin pasting and older (or wrong) PW?

I'm running the Chrome Plugin, v 3.9.21.90 and Chrome Version 35.0.1916.153 on a MacBook Air running OSX 10.9.4.

Comments

• samtheboo
    samtheboo
    Community Member
    edited July 2014

I copied and pasted this from another post (by me, on another fourms site), is this what you are doing?

[[Here is where to find the new password that 1PW generated, and the one that works with the site:
    http://s22.postimg.org/par7qs7up/Screen_Shot_2014_07_14_at_9_44_40_PM.png

And here is the login with the old password. Move the password from the password(above screenshot) to the login (screenshot below), and then change the password here.
    s22.postimg.org/par7qs7up/Screen_Shot_2014_07_14_at_9_44_40_PM.png]]

If it is, than that is the only way to do it with the chrome extension, (hint hint devs...)

--Sam

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @robthompson43‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with new passwords lately. Could you tell me if you are seeing this issue with every site that you fill? Or are there a few that are being difficult?

The fact that you mention that copying and pasting works while the 'go and fill' fails makes me think that you might be using a site that has some hidden limits on password length.

Sometimes, a website will have an invisible cap on what can be typed in the password field. If you type in a password that is longer than the acceptable length, you may notice that the final characters that you type are not being logged. Of course, if you are using our strong password generator to generate "super-secure-long-password", you wouldn’t notice that the website is silently ignoring the last few characters, and saving "super-secure-long-pa” instead. When you copy and paste the password in, it works in such a way that the website sees the "super-secure-long-pa” part and can still ignore the excess. Filling with 1Password works a little bit differently though, so you might get an incorrect password warning.

The best solution here is to determine if there are any hidden password restrictions for the site and create a fresh password that fits within those restrictions.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.