Sharing

Options
Callsey
Callsey
Community Member

I read a bit of the discussions on vaults, which may have answered my question negatively. My wife and I have iphones and my ipad. 1password is installed on my iphone and ipad, synched over dropbox. If she purchases 1password for her iphone, how do I share/export or whatever the info to her phone?

Also, I had hoped there was a feature for sharing only specified vaults, but is it correct that you need to share the same primary password, and that once you do, the sharee has access to all the vaults? And if that's the case, I don't see much usefulness of multiple vaults - eg, seems to be the same function of organizing into folders.

Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Callsey,

I'd be happy to discuss 1Password's Multiple Vaults with you in a bit more detail here - thanks for asking!

If she purchases 1password for her iphone, how do I share/export or whatever the info to her phone?

For iOS, you have the option of sharing via Dropbox or iCloud. Generally speaking, if you do wish to enable multiple vaults, Dropbox will be your best bet here, as it is available for all vaults. Due to current limitations of iCloud sync, it is only available for your primary vault.

I had hoped there was a feature for sharing only specified vaults, but is it correct that you need to share the same primary password, and that once you do, the sharee has access to all the vaults?

I know multiple vaults can be a bit confusing to wrap your head around initially. Here's how it generally works:

• Your primary vault will hold all your personal information, and the Logins that you want to keep private. We recommend that you do not share this vault or the Master Password that protects it.
    • Secondary vaults can be shared using Dropbox. Here's how to share a non-primary vault.
    • When you share a secondary vault with another user, the encryption keys for that vault will be stored in their primary vault. This means that when they unlock 1Password with the Master Password for their primary vault, all secondary vaults will unlock as well. This is done to ensure that users have quick and easy access to all their data, no matter which vault it is stored in.

I hope this helps to explain a bit more about how multiple vaults work on 1Password. If you do have further questions, don't hesitate to ask - we're here for you!

• Callsey
    Callsey
    Community Member
    Options

Am getting stuck in setup. Went to Vaults, Add vault, sync with dropbox... Then when I choose my dropbox account it prompts to choose a vault. There's only one option, and when I choose it it says, "the vault already exists on your iPad." Do I need to use a different dropbox account? Or am I supposed to set up my secondary vault on my wife's device after we install 1Password on her phone?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Callsey,

At the moment, you can't create a brand new vault in Dropbox just using the iOS app. You can only add existing vaults to the iOS app.

Do you have 1Password installed on your computer or your wife's?

• Callsey
    Callsey
    Community Member
    Options

Neither, only my IOS apps on iPhone and ipad

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Callsey,

I'm sorry that we don't have a perfect solution for you here! We're looking into making it possible to add vaults via the iOS app, and I'd be happy to add a vote for you to the feature request in our issue tracker.

If you would like, you can download a free trial of 1Password for the desktop from our downloads page. You can set up multiple vaults on your desktop and sync them to your iOS devices. Then if you don't find the desktop app useful, you can simply let the trial expire.

I'd be happy to give you some more detailed instructions on getting set up here if you're interested. :)

This discussion has been closed.