Feature Request: show Last Modified timestamp

Options
Rabbit32
Rabbit32
Community Member

This request applies to the iOS and Windows versions of 1Password (I don't currently have a Mac, but this should probably be on that version too).

When viewing the details of each item, please show the date and time (using the device's current timezone) when the item was last modified. Naturally, this timestamp should indicate when the item was either created or modified by the user, not when it was synced from another device.

This feature, plus a persistent Lock button, are really the only 2 things I miss from when I used mSecure.

Thanks for your consideration, Scott

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @Rabbit32,

This would also help with figuring out potential sync issues by checking to see the latest modification timestamp on the items.

Thanks for sharing this with us, we'll see what we can do here.

• Tee_Jay
    Tee_Jay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Rabbit32'

I am curious as why you have decided to leave mSecure?
    I understand that the app offers the option of local sync (without your data leaving your devices/computer).
    Since this option has been (temporarily?) disabled for 1PW, I am now reluctantly looking at going the other way.

Thanks,
    Thomas

• Rabbit32
    Rabbit32
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Tee_Jay,

I left mSecure because their recent version upgrade made big changes to the fonts, graphical icons, and colors in their iOS apps. In their unbridled fervor to look more like an iOS 7-style app, they reduced the readability of their fonts and chose icons and colors that significantly reduced the usability of their apps. Yes, I could have continued using them, but why should things go from being carefree and easy to making me think (if even for half a second more) each time I want to take a simple action?

I'm a big fan of well-designed and effective UI, and get frustrated when designers make boneheaded moves just to satisfy a conformist visual trend. [There are many aspects of Apple's redesign of iOS 7 that I dislike, like overly thin fonts and enough whiteness to cause snow blindness. But the other visual changes and UI behaviors counterbalanced these annoyances, and Android wasn't a good alternative to iOS for the discerning user who cares about quality, privacy, and security.]

As I was looking for alternatives to mSecure, I was very impressed with what I read on AgileBits' blog with regard to all the details they've considered in implementing encryption (and authentication) in a sound manner. I get the sense that they know how important the myriad implementation details are when creating products like these, and I'm not so sure about their competitors.

As for your concern over using Dropbox to sync, I will tell you that I also used Dropbox to sync when I used mSecure. While I share people's disdain over many aspects of Dropbox (like their failures with privacy, security, judgement in recruiting board members, and unreasonable pricing), none of these impact the usability or security of storing my password vault in their cloud. Both mSecure and 1Password have designed their Dropbox sync processes such that I would have very little apprehension if my vault was made freely available to anyone (short of the NSA, perhaps). As long as you have a truly strong master password, the risk of exposing data from your vault is pretty close to zero. There's a blog article somewhere on AgileBits' site that discusses this.

Honestly, the worst thing that could happen from using Dropbox to sync my vault would be one of the following:
    - they flat-out lose (i.e., delete) my vault and I am inconvenienced by having outdated item data on one of my devices, or
    - they replace my vault with an older version of my vault, and I have lots of outdated (or missing) item data.

If they were to somehow modify any bytes within my vault archive, 1Password would automatically detect it because the decryption would fail. And if they sent my vault to my worst enemy, I would revel in joy if I learned they were spending any time trying to get my data from it.

And compared to LAN-based sync, the convenience factor of using Dropbox sync is far superior. As long as I have Internet access, my changes are usually synced within 5 seconds. This sure beats waiting until I get home, and acts as a good backup mechanism for my most recent changes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Rabbit32‌

Thanks for that wonderfully written post. You make a lot of good points there, and I really hope they help @Tee_Jay‌ out. :)

I just wanted to add a few links here in case @Tee_Jay‌, or anyone else reading this thread, wants to do a bit more research into 1Password's security.

As you have mentioned, we are very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through the following article.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

http://blog.agilebits.com/tag/cryptography_/

I hope this helps, but if there are any further questions, we're here for you! :)

• Tee_Jay
    Tee_Jay
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Rabbit32‌,
    Appreciate your sharing.
    I don't think I will throw business at Dropbox.
    Might consider iCloud - if it wasn't for my preference of being the only holder of this kind of data.

@Megan‌,
    Thanks - I am well aware of the virtues of encryption and, in particular the implementation agilebits has chosen.
    That's why I chose it back in the day. All the more frustrating it is that the coveted feature has been removed!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Tee-Jay,

Thanks for following up! I completely understand your frustration here. We know that local sync is important to users and we are working to improve your options here. Unfortunately, I can't say more than that at this time. This doesn't mean that it's so far down on our priority list we'll never get to it ... but we make it a policy never to make promises on unreleased features. There are just so many factors involved, many of which are beyond our control, and we'd hate to promise something that ultimately becomes impossible.

I have passed your thoughts along to our developers and let them know that you are keen to see this implemented as soon as possible!

This discussion has been closed.