Step by step how to sync Primary Vaults of two users - PLEASE!

Gordito73
Gordito73
Community Member

Hi there Agile crew! I have been a fan of 1Password since 2011 and love all of it. Also, your amazing quick and to the point support. I was able to find all sorts of bits and pieces to my query but thought it best to start a new one as your software develops and some of the references are older.

Here is my "problem".

I have 1Password on my Mac (purchased via Mac App Store, currently at version 4.4.1) and I also have the latest iOS 1Password (v 4.5.3) on my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.2. They sync via Dropbox (mine).

My wife has also the same set up as above (same versions of the software both on Mac and iPhone 5) and her 1Password sync via her Dropbox account.

Now I'd like to achieve that we both can see the other's 1Password vault as a secondary Vault in our own 1Password apps (both Mac and iOS) and have them sync automatically.

So that I keep my own vault but she sees it as well if she needs anything and always has the latest version. And the same for me just other way around.

At the moment, what I have (in order to have her data), I exported all of her 1Password Vault items and created a secondary vault on my Mac and iPhone and imported them in there. It is fine for now but any change she does requires me to repeat that process again. Unless this can be automated, I am not even going to bother setting that up for her.

Hope you can help me (and others) with step by step instructions. Thank you a million.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Unfortunately as far as I know that particular setup you describe isn't possible based on how 1Password's syncing works.

Based on my understanding I'd say you have the following options.

1. A single primary vault that you sync over all the devices. You could separate your entries from hers via tagging.
    2. Both of you pretty much ignore your primary vaults and set up a secondary vault each, throw all of your own stuff into that and then sync each other's secondary vault i.e. each device would see primary vault (empty) A) secondary vault (wife's) B) secondary vault (husband's).

Both have flaws compared to what you wanted to do. 1. stores all logins in one vault making it messier and possibly more work to login to any common websites. Previously ⌘+\ would have automatically filled in and logged you in, with multiple logins to the same website you will now have to select which one first. With 2. you will have to change from empty primary to your secondary vault, probably multiple times during the day, as I think it defaults to the primary each time.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

Hi @Gordito73‌

Thanks for taking the time to write in! As @littlebobbytables‌ says, it's not quite simple to swap primary vaults here. One of the tricky parts is that the primary vault cannot be renamed. Since you're syncing to iOS, it becomes very important to organize these vaults in Dropbox in such a way that you will not accidentally set up sync to the wrong 1Password.agilekeychain and merge all of your data into one big database.

Essentially, we want to ensure that each 1Password.agilekeychain file is in a clearly defined subfolder within Dropbox to make it easier for you to make sure that you are syncing to the correct one. We can provide you steps on how to get this sorted out, but because the process is a bit precise, we'll need to take a closer look at your system before we get started. (Just to be sure you're getting the best instructions.)

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from each of your Macs:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@Megan‌ does this mean there's a way to do as Gordito73‌ asks that doesn't involve my fiddly workarounds?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @littlebobbytables‌

I've been discussing this matter with the developers, and the current workaround is to disable sync across all devices and then store each 1Password.agilekeychain file within a uniquely named subfolder:

• Dropbox/Apps/1Password/Han/1Password.agilekeychain
    • Dropbox/Apps/1Password/Leia/1Password.agilekeychain

(for example.)

As long as you are extra-careful when setting sync back up and ensuring that you look in the right subfolder for the 1Password.agilekeychain file, this should work!

This discussion has been closed.