Update Login window fails to appear

rogue
rogue
Community Member

Late last night I attempted saving my first login - which worked well - and then changed my password and saved it on the bank website. No Update Login window appeared but I didn't notice that one should have appeared. Logged off the bank website, tried to log in - and failed, over and over until locked out of website. I'm using 1Password 4 version 4.4.1; Safari version 7.0.5. The Automatically ask to save new logins is CHECKED. This has been a highly frustrating start to my 1Password experience. What now?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014

Hi @rogue,

I'm sorry to hear you're off to a bumpy start getting 1Password to auto-save/update your password changes. I'm happy to help you get this smoothed out for the future!

When you updated your bank site password, did you use the Password Generator to create a new one? This article explains/shows how to do that:

Updating your site's password

At the end there's a link to this article with instructions for doing it manually in case the 1Password Update Login prompt doesn't appear:

Updating your site's password manually

Can you mention which bank site it was where 1Password didn't offer to save your password update? A specific page URL would be helpful. And are there any other sites where this is happening?

Thanks in advance for that information!

_ref_: OPX-101

• rogue
    rogue
    Community Member

I did use your Password Generator twice and hit the fill in button and both times it successfully changed my password and I stored it. The bank is First Republic Bank: https://www.firstrepublic.com/bankingonline Failing twice with FRB, and being locked out of my accounts twice after-hours, stopped me from proceeding with any other site. I'll now click through to instructions for manually updating my password - I assume you mean in 1Password's site because the password was changed ["updated"] on FRB's site both times

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014

Hi @rogue,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with your banking websites... that's certainly never any fun!

I just want to confirm a few details here:

did use your Password Generator twice and hit the fill in button and both times it successfully changed my password and I stored it.

When you say you "stored it", I'm assuming you mean 1Password popped up and asked you to Save a new Login and you selected yes? Please note that the 'Save new Login' dialogue box will default to saving a new Login instead of updating an existing one. You'll need to click on the 'Save new Login' option and select 'Update existing Login'. This article has examples:

Autosave/Update tips

Is there a chance that you now have multiple saved entries for the same account now?

I'll now click through to instructions for manually updating my password - I assume you mean in 1Password's site because the password was changed ["updated"] on FRB's site both times

The instructions that @sjk mentioned go through the steps on how to update your password using the 1Password app.

• rogue
    rogue
    Community Member

Sorry, "I stored it" should have read "I saved the changed password on the bank's website." After saving the changed password [generated and filled in by 1Password] NO window appeared with the option to "update the password field in your existing Login for that site by clicking Update" as described in your online user's guide. After the first failed attempt, I had to wait until the next day to get the bank to help me change the password back [on my own - without the use of 1Password] to something I could remember. Once I did that, I logged in and had 1Password remember the latest manually created [by me] log-in. 1Password successfully recorded the new log-in and could automatically log-in for me [as it could the very first time I used 1Password]. Assuming that I had just failed to notice the Update Login window that first time, I again had 1Password generate and fill in a new password. And it succeeded in doing that this second time. BUT.... still no window popped up offering to update my [new] existing login.

• rogue
    rogue
    Community Member

Regarding multiple entries for the same account - Yes. But I deleted all of them after the first failure. Now [after my second failed attempt] there are 2 entries for First Republic Bank: one, I believe, that was the saved login of my manually entered login for the second 1Password attempt, and another for what must have been the saved log-in with the 1Password's generated password on the second attempt to use your software.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014

Hi @rogue,

Thanks so much for clarifying that! For situations where 1Password doesn't prompt you to save or update your password, we've got you covered. By default, any password that is filled by the password generator will also be copied onto your clipboard. You can check to see that this is enabled by clicking on the 'Fill' button next to the password generator in 1Password Mini. 'Copy to Clipboard Before Filling' should be checked. Then, if 1Password doesn't pop up and offer to save the Login, you simply have to find the existing entry in 1Password and paste the new password into the appropriate field, like in this article:

Updating your site's password manually

In addition, all passwords created by the password generator are stored in the 'Passwords' category (after pressing the Copy or Fill button) until they are converted to Logins.

I know this doesn't help you right now with all the frustration you've already suffered here, but we filed a report in our issue tracker stating that 1Password does not properly prompt to update a Login on your bank's website. While I can't guarantee we'll get this solved for you immediately, I do hope my suggestions above can help you manually update passwords in those cases where 1Password doesn't properly notice what you're doing.

If there are any other websites that you notice 1Password is missing, do let us know so we can investigate those as well!

ref: OPX-101

This discussion has been closed.