1Password doesn't unlock other vaults without passwords like on Mac/iOS [Intentional for now]

Ola Johansson
Ola Johansson
Community Member
edited July 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

It seems like the iOS version (and maybe the Mac version) has some sort of feature where you can unlock your "1password" with one master password. Then when you switch between vaults it just change the vault without having to enter the pass again.

But when i use multiple vaults on Windows i have to login to each vault each time i switch between them. This is kind of annoying since i use one for private stuff and one for work stuff and i switch between them all the time.

Is this expected behavior and if it is are there any plans to fix them?

Or can i fix this via some setting or something?

Br, Ola

Comments

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

This is the unfortunate current implementation. The 1Password folks have given replies about how they are redesigning this to be better, but I have not yet seen their statement of what the new design is.

• Ola Johansson
    Ola Johansson
    Community Member

Ok!

Lets hope they fix it. It's loads of password typing all the time and well you do not want to have a to simple password for this.

• MikeT
    edited July 2014

Hi guys,

@Ola Johansson‌, the main reason we are able to do this on iOS and Mac platforms is because we built 1Password for those platforms to have an internal database structure. That internal database would contain all the data from all of your vaults as well as the keys from the secondary vaults, all of which is encrypted with the primary vault's master password. When you unlock with the primary vault, it can unlock the rest with these keys. That's also why if you switch to a secondary vault on Mac without unlocking the primary vault, you have to provide the secondary vault's master password, which would not unlock any other vaults.

On Windows, there is no internal database, we simply read the vault files directly without storing it in any database. That's why there is no way to switch vaults without providing the specific vault passwords. There is no concept of the primary and secondary vaults on Windows. To be able to handle this on Windows, the entire 1Password app would have to be redesigned to work from an internal database and this isn't an easy task that we can do right now but it can happen in the future.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The other option that might be easier in the short term would be to allow multiple vaults to be open at the same time. You can use all of the existing vault handling classes and just make some gentle modifications to the GUI. Yes you'd still need to enter both MPs, but only once per unlock session rather than whenever you need to switch between them.

• Hi @RichardPayne,

It sounds easier but it might not be due to the universal unlock setup with the browser extensions. I assume you mean keep two files or more unlocked in its own processes and the GUI can simply switch between them?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Indeed, although my personal preference would be to present a merged view.

• Hi Richard,

Yea, we'd like that as well. Who knows, we might even come up with a drastic breakthrough that'd work even better.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Who knows, we might even come up with a drastic breakthrough that'd work even better.

You tease! That almost sound prescient. ;)

• :P No teasing, just the nature of software development as cool stuff can happen by accidents. Actually, that tend to be true for some epic inventions around the world.

This discussion has been closed.