The big thread on TouchID issues with 1Password 4.6 betas

Comments

• Hi guys,

@volcom45:

I'm finding that if I have TouchID enabled but have "Lock on exit" disabled, I am way less frequently being asked for the master password.

That's interesting and that might explain why I couldn't reproduce it as I generally have that disabled. We'll keep testing to figure out what this is.

Thanks!

@sternklang:

I have "Lock on exit" enabled on the iPhone and disabled on the iPad, the opposite of what @volcom45‌ just reported.

Hmm, can you try turning it off and back on, see if it changes anything. Bugs are generally not this inconsistent across devices and when they are, it is usually an interference with another bug.

@sternklang‌ and @volcom45‌, can you tell us or provide a screenshot of your Security > Settings, so we can do some comparisons to figure out what else it could be.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT‌,

Screenshots are attached as requested.

• MikeT
    edited August 2014

Hi @sternklang‌,

What if you extend the request time for the master password to 24 hours on the iPad and turn on Lock on Exit. Does it seem like it is asking for master password more often or less?

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

I will try that and let you know this evening @MikeT‌.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Two more issues: I made the changes @MikeT‌ requested. I just got the PIN entry, and after correctly (I believe) entering it, the PIN dialog was dismissed and the 1PW lock screen graphic never unlocked and never went away, even after more than a minute. I then hit the home button, and went back to 1PW. It brought up the PIN dialog but before I could enter more than the first digit of the PIN, the PIN dialog went away and the master password dialog came up. Next time I brought up 1PW on the iPad the PIN entry worked as normal.

Second, on the iPhone there have been a few times where I brought up 1PW expecting the TouchID dialog but that dialog never came up. It just sat there indefinitely on the 1PW lock graphic. Hitting home and then bringing 1PW up again, the TouchID dialog comes up and functions as normal.

The second one sounds like it might be an iOS8 bug, but as both issues involve 1PW staying on the opening lock graphic without prompting for input maybe there is some common bug in the 1PW code involved in both issues.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Both of these issues have recurred. The iPhone/missing TouchID issue is happening almost every time I start 1PW, where I have to start it twice to get the TouchID dialog.

• Hi @sternklang‌,

the PIN dialog was dismissed and the 1PW lock screen graphic never unlocked and never went away, even after more than a minute. I then hit the home button, and went back to 1PW. It brought up the PIN dialog but before I could enter more than the first digit of the PIN, the PIN dialog went away and the master password dialog came up.

Second, on the iPhone there have been a few times where I brought up 1PW expecting the TouchID dialog but that dialog never came up. It just sat there indefinitely on the 1PW lock graphic. Hitting home and then bringing 1PW up again, the TouchID dialog comes up and functions as normal.

I tried changing the lock settings and tried to reproduce the issue, I couldn't. Can you reproduce it or it only happened just one time?

It feels as if the lock system basically got stuck and it couldn't do anything until you restart it. The question is, how did it go into that state?

Can you repeat what you were doing in terms of changing the settings (change to a random one, like 30 days now) and see if it cause the issue again.

If you can, please unlock and send us the diagnostic report after that. Here's how to generate the report, please email it to support + forum AT agilebits.com and let me know when you do that, so I can look for it.

Thanks!

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

On the iPad I changed the settings per your request. I can try changing them again. But my last message and yours probably crossed, so you can see the issue is recurring, not one-time.

On the iPhone I did not change any settings. It seems like b14 "fixed" the issue with master passcode dialog coming up instead of TouchID and introduced the issue with TouchID not coming up. As you say, it looks like the lock system is stuck.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

Hi @MikeT‌,

I changed the iPad to 48 hours, currently the issue is not happening on the iPad. But I made no changes to the iPhone, and though the no-TouchID issue has been recurring all day, it's now not happening at all.

Of course, I just brought up 1PW multiple times over the course of a couple of minutes which is not "normal" behavior on either device. I can monitor the situation over normal 1PW usage on both devices over the next day or so and let you know what's happening.

• Hi @sternklang,

But my last message and yours probably crossed, so you can see the issue is recurring, not one-time.

Yep, I didn't even see it until you just bought it up, we posted at the same time.

I changed the iPad to 48 hours, currently the issue is not happening on the iPad. But I made no changes to the iPhone, and though the no-TouchID issue has been recurring all day, it's now not happening at all.

Don't you just love testing?

I'd suggest rebooting your iOS devices, to basically clear the state, and test it throughout the day. It could be a bug in iOS 8.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT‌,

It seems to be partially related to how much time goes by between unlock attempts. I tried it again after a couple of hours and both devices reproduced the same behavior once. The iPad continues to have the same behavior trying again a half hour later, but the iPhone works fine.

I just did a hard reset on the iPad. After starting it up I started 1PW, entered the master passcode, exited to the home screen, and started it again. It immediately had the above-described issue. Next time a few seconds later, the PIN worked.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

But after a hard reset on the iPhone, no issues so far with TouchID. Yes, I do love testing. Intermittent issues are the best! ;-p

• MikeT
    edited August 2014

Hi @Sternklang,

But after a hard reset on the iPhone, no issues so far with TouchID. Yes, I do love testing. Intermittent issues are the best! ;-p

OK but you're still seeing weird glitches on the iPad, right?

Just in case, can you tell me if you have Background App Refresh turned on and if yes, is it turned on for 1Password as well? Try turning this off for 1Password and see if it works much better for both iOS devices over time.

• Hi @sternklang‌,

The good news is that out of 100 tries, I got it to happen on the iPad, and caught the errors in the console. The bad news, I don't know if the developers can use it to pinpoint the problem but they'll do their best.

Stay tuned, we'll figure something out.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT‌,

This happened first thing this morning on both devices. I just noticed on the iPad, when the PIN dialog comes up the second time (after switching away from the "stuck" app) the 4 circles at the top indicating entry are already filled in. So it's not just that it's "stuck", it seems like the PIN entry state is not cleared between tries when this issue happens.

Background app refresh was turned on for both devices. I just turned it off on both and will let you know what happens.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Hey @MikeT‌,

This issue hasn't happened on either device since I turned off background app refresh for 1PW. I'll let it continue this way until tomorrow morning, then turn background app refresh on at that point and monitor for the next day.

• That's great! Thank you so much for helping us on this!

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT‌,

After having no issues last night, first thing this morning the iPad Air had the same issue, the iPhone 5s did not.

After turning background app refresh back on, I had the issue recur on the iPhone and the iPad. It does seem like background app refresh (or some code depending on that feature) is involved in this issue.

However since your team released a new beta yesterday the "Update available" dialog pops up over the PIN entry and has to be dismissed before the PIN can be entered. I don't know if this affects anything I'm testing.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

The issue is happening pretty consistently on both devices again. Not every time, but every 2-3 times, so frequently. So I'm going to call it a day with this specific test, turn off background app refresh again and upgrade to the latest beta.

@MikeT do you have any other suggestions for testing that your developers would find valuable?

• Hi @sternklang,

After having no issues last night, first thing this morning the iPad Air had the same issue, the iPhone 5s did not.

I'm starting to sense that I'm going to need a big white board to keep track of this. :)

It's strange that it happens only on iPad but not iPhone 5S. I assume there is nothing else that's different between both of them, like the Lock on Exit feature?

However since your team released a new beta yesterday the "Update available" dialog pops up over the PIN entry and has to be dismissed before the PIN can be entered. I don't know if this affects anything I'm testing.

No, that's normal, it'll appear even on MP field.

@MikeT do you have any other suggestions for testing that your developers would find valuable?

For now, no, please take a break from this. :D Very valuable piece of info, and you may be right, the code in relation to the background app refresh might be the cause here.

Almost the whole development team were together in SF this week working on 1Password and they're currently flying back home. Once they're safely home, I'll nudge them to figure out the next path with these set of information you've provided.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Hey @MikeT‌,

I assume there is nothing else that's different between both of them, like the Lock on Exit feature?

One of your earlier requests was to change the "Request After" period on the iPad. At that point I changed it from 24 hours to 48 hours. That is currently the only Security setting that is different between iPad and iPhone. I'll change it back to 24 hours but the earlier change didn't seem to make any difference so I doubt this will.

Almost the whole development team were together in SF this week working on 1Password and they're currently flying back home. Once they're safely home, I'll nudge them to figure out the next path with these set of information you've provided.

Sounds good, I'll wait to hear if they come up with any other suggestions.

• I'll change it back to 24 hours but the earlier change didn't seem to make any difference so I doubt this will.

I agree, I don't think it makes any difference. It'd hope to figure out the difference and the only thing I can think of is the TouchID implementation versus the PIN system.

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member

@MikeT‌

I disabled background app refresh after you mentioned it above, and have been getting the Touch ID prompt where I had been getting the master password prompt.

I have been having the same problem as others where I was being prompted for my master password well before I should have been, but only after about half an hour or so. It is looking related to background refresh to me also. I'll report back over the next few days with further findings.

• Hi @fatherfolk,

That's awesome, a little consistency is what we like and it generally will point us to the right place. I've informed the devs and they'll look into it ASAP.

Thanks for taking the time to try that and letting us know the results.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT‌,

So, since we don't already have enough weird unlock issues: I just opened 1PW on my iPhone. It came up, unlocked without prompting for TouchID, then the TouchID dialog came up. But it didn't scan and dismiss the dialog, it ignored my several attempts to scan a fingerprint. After waiting for several attempts, I hit Cancel. The dialog dismissed and the Favorites screen behind it was still there but greyed out and unresponsive. Hitting Home and trying again, it worked properly. There was no difference in usage or sequence of events leading up to this behavior from prior usage to this event.

We wouldn't want to make this too easy for your developers to fix, would we? :D

• We wouldn't want to make this too easy for your developers to fix, would we?

Of course not! :P

The good news is that we've gotten a few more confirmations from other folks that background app refresh improves the consistency of the TouchID prompts and that is at least six now.

Let's fix this part first and then see if it'll fix your others issue as well, they might very well be related.

After waiting for several attempts, I hit Cancel. The dialog dismissed and the Favorites screen behind it was still there but greyed out and unresponsive.

That seems like it is very close to the issue on the iPad where the PIN view returns to a lock view that doesn't disappear. In this case, the lock view did disappear on the iPhone but the app is grayed out instead.

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member

To report back: I've opened 1Passwork 3 times since I posted on Saturday and all 3 times I was prompted for Touch ID. Prior to disabling background app refresh, I can guarantee all three of those would have been master password prompts based on the length of time between them (several hours at least). To clarify, background app refresh is currently disabled and Touch ID is working as it should (at least over the last two days).

Only today after a restart did I receive a master password prompt, which is expected behavior.

So, more to throw on the background app refresh fire.

• I have to say, from a bug-fixing point of view, this thread is gold. Thank you so much to everyone that has commented and participated. It's great to see that you're all as passionate about this new feature as we are!

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

I installed beta 16 last night and turned background app refresh back on. This morning, so far there have been no issues with TouchID or PIN unlock on iPhone or iPad. So far so good. ;) I'll continue to monitor this.

• Most excellent! I'm fairly confident we've squashed this one, but please do keep hammering on it and let us know if you find any weirdness.

This discussion has been closed.