Mac only syncing previous password from Windows

Options
milesu
milesu
Community Member

A password on the windows vault was recently updated but both my Macs still show the previous password. I tried turning sync off/on on the Macs. I also tried duplicating the record on Windows. The duplicate shows up on my Macs but still with the previous password. I am using dropbox for syncing.

My main vault is Windows 4.0.1.503. I am running version 4.4.1 on my Mac(s).

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @milesu,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password right now. That is a strange problem indeed. Could you try something for me? Instead of duplicating the entry on your Windows machine, please create a fresh one with all the correct details. Does this one sync over properly?

• milesu
    milesu
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, if I create a new login item it syncs correctly. But I should not have to do this anytime I just change the password of a login, right?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @milesu,

Thanks for testing that and letting us know the result. Since the new item you created with 1Password on Windows was successful synced to 1Password on your Mac(s), here's something else I'd I'd like you to try. Please edit the same new item in 1Password on Windows, change its password to whatever you'd like, save the modified item, and see if that password change gets synced to your Mac(s). If the change doesn't sync then edit the item on Windows again and modify its title this time. After syncing to your Mac(s) check if the item title and/or password was updated there.

But I should not have to do this anytime I just change the password of a login, right?

That is correct. Item changes you make on any of your systems should be synced with the others.

• milesu
    milesu
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I sorted this out. I had created a second password field as a new section in my Windows vault (i.e. name, value, type, designation with type = designation = password). I suspect 1Password was simply syncing the first password record but not the second. It appears there is no support on the Mac for defining additional sections so that might explain why the custom sections are not being synced other than one of the password sections. Or is there a way to sync custom sections as well?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Custom sections sync, at least for me, between 1Password for OS X and 1Password for iOS so I would have assumed they would have when going from Windows to Mac too and it should be without any user intervention required. Are you sure there isn't an additional custom section in the synced version on the Mac? Just to be clear, 1Password wouldn't be using a custom field for filling in a login so if that's where you stored the updated password then I would still expect autofill to be using the old password if that's how you're testing to see if it has synced.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @milesu,

1Password 4 for Mac does indeed have support for custom sections, as @littlebobbytables‌ suggests. These sections should sync across all your devices. However, I think I've determined where things might be getting lost for you. In 1Password 4 for Windows, there are two ways that you can create new fields in an entry:

If you click on the '+' icon next to the existing fields in 1Password 4 for Windows's create a Login pane, you will be adding "web form details". These are the fields that 1Password looks at when filling in form fields on webpages. On Mac, these web form details are generally hidden behind a 'show web form details' button in the entry. (Generally, web form details isn't something you should need to add. When you create a Login entry by saving from the browser, 1Password should snag all the details that it needs).

If you click on the 'Add Section' button at the bottom of the entry (in 1Password 4 for Windows) you will be adding a custom section. These will be readily viewable in the Mac entry.

(Windows)

(Mac)

I hope this helps to explain things a bit. Could you please check the entry in 1Password 4 for Mac and click to 'show web form details'. Is your secondary password tucked safely in there? In the future, for saving any extra details about your Login I would recommend using custom sections instead of the web form details option. That will ensure that 1Password doesn't get confused about whether it should fill one password or the other. :)

This discussion has been closed.