1password 3.9.6 and multiple dropbox accounts don't work

Options

I run 3.9.6 on OSX 10.7.5. I have Dropbox for business and dropbox personal. This means that Dropbox forces my folder to be called "Dropbox (businessname)" and "Dropbox (mypersonalname)". I can't change this at all. For me to get 1password to sync, I have to manually change the dropbox-folder name and then change it back so Dropbox works. I can't upgrade 1password either in the Appstore, since it requires 10.8. Am I stuck here, or will this be fixed? This happened after Dropbox introduced the possibility to have both personal and business account on the same computer.

p.s. I tried searching, but the search isn't working. since I have tried searching for "dropbox" several times, but it returns no answers.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I have moved your post to the 1Password 3 forum.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Henrick,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble keeping 1Password 3 synced up! Because Dropbox announced its business feature well after 1Password 3 was designed, you might see a few hiccups here, but we should be able to get this working.

Please try this:

• Quit 1Password 3
    • Locate your 1Password.agilekeychain file in the appropriate Dropbox folder
    • Double-click on the keychain file
    • 1Password should pop open and prompt you for your Master Password

Does this get 1Password syncing to the correct location?

• Henrik Johansson
    Henrik Johansson
    Community Member
    Options

No, it just copies it to the default location. Problem is that 1Password looks for the Dropbox folder, which doesn't exist, since Dropbox has renamed it to "Dropbox (companyname)". So in the preferences, I can't even turn on Dropbox. If I rename my folder, it works, but then Dropbox itself fails.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Henrick,

I just want to confirm here: to quit 1Password, did you close the 1Password window or did you click the 1Password menu and select 'Quit 1Password'? It is important that 1Password is fully quit before following my steps. Double-clicking the keychain should make it the active keychain for 1Password, regardless of its location.

• Henrik Johansson
    Henrik Johansson
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

I closed it correctly. I also made sure the 1Password Agent wasn't running.

launchctl unload ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist

Also, this is an AppStore version of the program, so maybe it has some sandbox limitations? I have also bought the Windows version, so it would be nice to get it to work as brilliantly as it used to. :)

• Henrik Johansson
    Henrik Johansson
    Community Member
    Options

Here's a screenshot of what happens when I double-click the file.

• Henrik Johansson
    Henrik Johansson
    Community Member
    Options

And here's a screenshot of my Preferences. As you see, Dropbox is greyed out.

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @Henrik Johansson‌,

Unfortunately, 1Password 3.9.x doesn't support any locations outside of the normal Dropbox folder. That's because that's the hardcoded path in our approved entitlement we have from Apple in terms of being able to access it outside of the sandbox we're in.

This was fixed in the 1Password 4 upgrade that replaced the 3.9.x series, which changed to let you pick any Dropbox folder you want to sync from without any sandboxing issues. Unfortunately, because you're using Lion, you can't use 1Password 4.x as it requires Mountain Lion at the least.

The good news, there is no sandboxing required for the website version, so you can just switch over to our website version and use that to access your Dropbox (Company) folder.

So, what you can do is move the MAS version of 1Password 3.9.6 to your Trash (do not empty it), and download the website version here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com

Scroll to the bottom of the page to find the 1Password 3.x series. When you install it, open the app and then close it. Double-click on the .agilekeychain file from the Dropbox folder to open it with the website version of 1Password.

I'll send you a private message about the license you need.

I hope this helps.

• Henrik Johansson
    Henrik Johansson
    Community Member
    Options

A HUGE thank you! :) That worked like a charm! :) Fantastic support I have to say! :)

• MikeT
    Options

You're hugely welcome!

Thanks for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.