Wi-fi sync between 1Password 4 for iOS and 1Password 3 for Mac [not possible]

Paul Guyer
Paul Guyer
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

Hi all,

I've had 1password 3 on my Mac for a while, and finally decided to get it for my iPhone, which I did today.

Unfortunately, I am having no luck at all understanding how to sync, and get my Mac passwords onto my iPhone. None of the 'help' info on how to do this seems to match up with what I see.

I don't use Dropbox or iCloud, so my two options are Wifi or through iTunes File Sharing. Both my iPhone and Mac are on the same Wifi network.

A. The instructions claim that if I go to 1Password on the Mac, I can go to Window > Wifi Sync. Perhaps that is true of 1Password 4, but there is no such option in 1Password 3.

B. There is no option the iOS app to "Allow New Connections," as claimed in Help tutorials and video tutorials. Perhaps this was true in older versions, but no longer?

C. I do not see my iPhone appear in my 1Password on my Mac.

So much for Wifi. I then tried to use the 'File Sharing' option through iTunes. It redirected me to a generic Apple help page explaining how to use File Sharing between an iPhone and a Mac. That's nice, but how am I supposed to directly apply this to the specific situation of getting my Mac 1Password data to my iPhone app? What specific document from my Mac am I supposed to share?? No explicit directions were given.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Jasper
    edited April 2014

Hi Paul,

Wi-fi sync in not compatible between 1Password 4 for iOS and 1Password 3 for Mac. Wi-fi sync was completely re-written in version 4, so you must have the same version of 1Password installed on both your Mac and your iOS device to be able to sync using wi-fi (either v3 to v3, or v4 to v4).

Dropbox is the only available sync method between between 1Password 4 for iOS and 1Password 3 for Mac.

Like you mentioned, you can also use iTunes file sharing, but that is a manual transfer of your data file (not real syncing).

You'll find the instruction for iTunes file sharing here: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Sync/iTunes-File-Sharing/itfs-send-data-file-to-itunes.html

Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• junnny
    junnny
    Community Member

No WONDER I've been having such trouble after moving to IOS 1P4 and trying to sync with my computer 1P3 version. So many efforts and so much time spent, I thought to see if anyone else was having the same problems by posting here. AND the first news to come up is that it's just not possible.

WOW -- you mean I HAVE to upgrade my computer version if I want to keep passwords and everything on my computer instead of spreading it all over town -- encrypted, I guess -- on iCloud and Dropbox computers. Let me think about that for a moment :-/

Still thinking ...

I can't say that I'm happy about this "pairing" even as I'm sure it makes sense from the developer's point of view. As a consumer, it certainly would have been a consideration before taking advantage of your 50% sale for IOS 1P4. In other words, while I don't HAVE to upgrade my 1P3 on the computer, if I want to sync with my iPhone as I've done since I've used Agilebit's products since I can't remember when, I HAVE to "upgrade" my computer version.

Was any of this anywhere in the small print? If so, I'm sure I missed it. Too small for someone my size. If not, your IOS 1P3 to IOS 1P4 isn't really 50% off, is it ;-)

This reminds me a bit of my experience upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mavericks -- you know, the so-called "free" upgrade. The upgrades I've had to after my Mavericks upgrade are a little like "in-app" purchases :-)

No matter. Agilebits makes a great product and I'll probably support-the-team with an upgrade for my computer, too.

Still ... if you know what I mean :-)

• Thanks for the feedback, @junnny‌. I know how you feel, I've certainly encountered situations like this before as well. It's a fine line to walk as developers between making the best choices for the software moving forward and making sure that we're compatible with previous versions of our software. Sometimes we don't always make the correct choice and for that we are sorry. Thanks for being a 1Password customer and please don't hesitate to keep us in the loop on any other problems you may have.

• Justin Daniel Moss
    Justin Daniel Moss
    Community Member

@MrRooni‌, I really appreciate your response to @junny. I was confused as well when I downloaded 1P4 iOS (on sale) the other day, and currently have 1P3 for mac. I am going to try the dropbox sync, but if that doesn't work, I'd be happy to upgrade to 1P4, solely because of the response that you gave.

Cheers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Justin,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write in, and for your support of 1Password! I hope that Dropbox sync works smoothly for you, but if you hit any snags, we're here to help. :)

• Justin Daniel Moss
    Justin Daniel Moss
    Community Member

Hey Megan,

It seemed to have worked well. I do have a question about iP4(iOS), is there an easy way to generate a strong password on the go? Would this be better suited to ask in the 1Password 4 iOS forum?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Justin,

I'm glad to hear that it's working well for you so far! To generate a password on the go, you can create a new entry in 1Password 4 for iOS. When you're viewing the Categories screen, simply tap on the '+' icon in the top menu bar to create a new item. You will have access to the password generator within items such as Logins, or you can simply create a password using the 'Passwords' category. Just tap the key icon within the item creation pane to show the password generator and its recipe options.

• Justin Daniel Moss
    Justin Daniel Moss
    Community Member

Awesome, Thank you!!

• JosueAlexander
    JosueAlexander
    Community Member

Hi, hopefully you can help, I already have 1password 4 for iOS, I was trying to install 1password 3 for mac and sync with dropbox, but i cant find a way to do this, Im trying to make 1password 3 for mac to reflect what I have on my iphone. I tried the "restore" option but it doesnt have an option to select the correct jey file. And If I click on the "move to dropbox" option it tries to create a new file that is empty because I havent put anything this app yet.

any advice???

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JosueAlexander‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting things synced up. Let's fix that, shall we?

• On your iOS device, set up Dropbox sync
    • Ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your Mac and that you are logged in with the same account
    • Fully quit 1Password 3 for Mac (use the 1Password > Quit menu, don't simply close the window)
    • Wait for Dropbox to update on your Mac (you'll see a green checkmark next to the blue box icon in your menu bar)
    • Open a Finder window to Dropbox and find your 1Password.agilekeychain file
    • Double-click the 1Password.agilekeychain file
    • This will open 1Password 3 for Mac and prompt for your Master Password
    • Enter your Master Password and your data will popular into 1Password!

I hope this gets you all sorted, but we're here if you have any questions. :)

• JosueAlexander
    JosueAlexander
    Community Member

Wow Megan, that worked like magic, thank you so much, it is great to be able to use the mac version. One more question tough, do I have to do these steps everytime I want to update the data? Or is it gonna do this by itself?

I have noticed that the file in dropbox doesnt update everytime I make changes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JosueAlexander‌

Whoo! I'm so glad to hear that got things working for you! This should keep you synced up from now on - no need to go through all those steps again.

Dropbox should update each time you make changes to your database. Let's do a quick test just to confirm that things are working smoothly:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data - once you save, you should notice the green checkmark on your Dropbox icon in the menu bar change to a blue circle with rotating arrows to indicate sync is happening
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do either or any of your test entries show up in your database here?

If any of the entries do not show up where they're supposed to, please let me know and we'll investigate further. :)

• JosueAlexander
    JosueAlexander
    Community Member

thank you, I´ll try that tonight...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JosueAlexander‌

I hope your experiments worked well and that you're all synced up! We're here if you have any further questions. :)

• JosueAlexander
    JosueAlexander
    Community Member

Megan, thank you very much for your time. They are syncing perfectly now. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JosueAlexander‌

I'm so glad to hear that things are working for you - thanks for letting me know! You know where to find us if you have any other questions or concerns. :)

This discussion has been closed.