Family Setup

Options
stevencevans
stevencevans
Community Member

A quick question...

I'm about to purchase the family licence and set up 1Password on my wife's Mac. We want to have access to each other's log-ins; is the only way to do this to share a vault and have one master password? Or, can I set up a separate vault for her, but she can still access my vault if she needed?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You do not need to share a master password in order to share vaults. There is a knowledge base article here on how to share a vault, which you may find helpful.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stevencevans‌

There are a few ways to set up 1Password so that you and your wife can share data:

• If you're looking to share ALL of your Logins, you could simply share your entire database. In this case, you would ensure that your data is synced to a shared location (possibly a folder in Dropbox) and then open 1Password as an existing user. You would both use the same Master Password.
    • To share just some of your data, the article that @Stephen_C linked to about sharing a non-primary vault is very helpful. You would each maintain your own primary vault with your own Master Password and then share a secondary vault with all data that you share such as family accounts. This is the generally recommended method.

If one of these methods appeals to you, but you'd like some more detailed instructions, please let me know - we're here to help!

• stevencevans
    stevencevans
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks both, that's most helpful.

Another question, which may be a feature request, can 1Password Mini be configured to automatically show, in its drop-down box, only those logins with a particular tag. That way, if both my wife and I share all logins, I can have 1Password Mini only show me my login and password for my account on say Amazon (at its tagged with my initials) but my wife's 1Password Mini on her Mac would show her login and password for her Amazon account (being tagged with her initials).

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

I'm not aware that mini can be configured to show like that. But you can name entries in the database differently so that you can tell which is which when they address the same account. Something like Bank - Him and Bank - Her. That might help with sorting through the confusion.

• Martinbp
    Martinbp
    Community Member
    Options

My girlfriend and I have a family license, and we share a non-primary vault. Is it possible to show my personal vault and our shared vault without shifting waults - sort of showing the two vaults as merged but without merging them? (I hope this makes sense...)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Martinbp,

Thanks for the suggestion! At this time, it is not possible to show the contents of all vaults at one time. This is a common feature request though, and I'm happy to add your vote to the request in our issue tracker. I think it would be quite handy as well!

ref: OPM-1840

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates on this? It would be ideal to see a merged view of vaults that we have access to. Similar to Martinbp, I have a secondary vault I use for the family and the primary vault is my own passwords that are not shared. Definitely a feature worth having.

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    Options

From post # 4..." Another question, which may be a feature request, can 1Password Mini be configured to automatically show, in its drop-down box, only those logins with a particular tag. That way, if both my wife and I share all logins, I can have 1Password Mini only show me my login and password for my account ..."

Exactly, and this feature is already available. If you and your wife each claim your logins with different TAGs, you can use the last menu item of the 1P-mini drop-down menu ( Tags > ) which shows all of the various tags in that vault, and then changes the content of a sub-menu, to show only the logis with the selected tag. And any given login can have multiple tags so logins can be shared. As an example, I use "Oregon", "Montana", and "Texas" as separate tags for myself, my wife and my daughter.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

New user here, just purchased the Family Bundle package. I've been reading quite a bit on the forum here and noticed that the feature request to have a merged or flat view of all vaults without having to switch back and forth has been requested since October 2013 but no progress has been made with the exception of adding the functionality to MOVE items from one vault to another. Where are we on this feature? It would make a HUGE difference in the way most of us use the vaults, particularly those who have setup multiple vaults for Family Members and/or Personal vs Work situations.

Please add my vote for this feature but given how many votes this feature request has already received going back almost 1 year, I'm shocked it hasn't already been added.

I do want to say that the support team here is fantastic at replying to messages/posts, I do appreciate that.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any updates on this? It would be ideal to see a merged view of vaults that we have access to. Similar to Martinbp, I have a secondary vault I use for the family and the primary vault is my own passwords that are not shared. Definitely a feature worth having.

Please add my vote for this feature but given how many votes this feature request has already received going back almost 1 year, I'm shocked it hasn't already been added.

I don't have anything new to report on these feature request, but I'll make sure your votes are counted. We don't normally pre-announce time frames for future plans as many factors (some beyond our control) can affect them. We've been extremely busy adding Touch ID and extensions on iOS as well as preparing for Yosemite on the Mac, but having a way to view all items across vaults is definitely still on our radar. I'm sorry I can say when or if it will be added in the future, but we are certainly as keen on the idea internally as many of you are. :)

If you and your wife each claim your logins with different TAGs, you can use the last menu item of the 1P-mini drop-down menu ( Tags > ) which shows all of the various tags in that vault, and then changes the content of a sub-menu, to show only the logis with the selected tag.

Good point, @Lamplighter‌! Although, I can see it being even better if the matched Logins at the top of the extension for a given URL could be restricted to just a certain tag.

I do want to say that the support team here is fantastic at replying to messages/posts, I do appreciate that.

Thanks so much, @Jagstyles‌! Your kind words are very much appreciated. :)

This discussion has been closed.