how many email accounts d u need?

JosueAlexander
JosueAlexander
Community Member

Do you think that I should use the email I use for my apple ID to sign up at all the other services?

I have a gmail account as my primary apple ID address, apple also gave an @me.com email address, that Ive been using for personal email, I intend to keep using this @me.com for recieving and sending email.

But I cant decide if I should use my apple gmail address or a separate gmail address to sign up at dropbox evernote, simplenote, etc.

I know I should not use my @me.com to sign up on dropbox because I need my apple ID password to get into mail, such mail being the key to access my password in dropbox, I hope Im making sense.

im then left with these passwords to remember: 1. 1Password, wich has the passwords for all my services 2. dropbox: wich has a backup of the keychain file 3. primary gmail account for my apple ID 4. secondary gmail account for all the other services (dropbox, evernote, etc.)

thats 4 passwords to remember, I would like to use just the one primay gmail address for all of the services, but Im not sure if thats gonna cause any conflicts if I use it for dropbox too.

Comments

• Hi @JosueAlexander!

I definitely do not recommend re-using the same email/password across different services. That said, you can re-use the same email, as it is just used as a username on things like Dropbox.

So, let's say my iCloud email is user@me.com, and my password is soopersekrit. I could use user@me.com as my Dropbox login, but I should use a different password.

I personally keep 3 passwords memorized.

1. iCloud.
    2. Dropbox.
    3. 1Password Master Password.

Basically, I need all three of those to get back on my feet in a sticky situation. Now, how does one keep three (or a few more) passwords memorized? By using something long yet memorable. You can use the advice in this post about better master passwords as a guide for any memorable password.

Cheers!

• JosueAlexander
    JosueAlexander
    Community Member

thanks for your replay, I was actually aware that I should not use the same password after reading a lot in this forum, Im more concern about the use of the email addres, you mentioned that you have 3 passwords memorized, Icloud, dropbox and 1password, my question then is , do you use the same email address to login to the three of them? that being your icloud email?

Im trying to determine if I need a secondary email address (another password to remember) to login to services like dropbox, evernote, etc

thanks for your help

• Hi @JosueAlexander‌,

Well, an email address is not associated with your 1Password Master Password, but I do see your point. Personally, I do use my primary email address as my Dropbox username. I have yet to see a security problem with that, because I use strong and unique (yet memorable) passwords for both.

I hope that helps put you at ease!

• mac1
    mac1
    Community Member

Taking the above deliberations about security of our data we should completely reformat thinking about them.
    Most of us (and certainly longer ordinary people) uses the same email/password everywhere. Sometimes we only have a different password to access and is already right but...
    Changing the way of thinking about security you'd have to start all over again.
    Now after using 1P + reading disscussions.agilebits we should write a new white paper. Maybe set up a new email account for all new applications? Leave only for 1Password and Dropbox same addresses but different/strong passwords.
    Did we have something there or it does not do anything in terms of improving safety?
    Is it the right way of thinking?
    Forgive me for my English but I'm tired and do not want to already correct my mistakes :)

• Hi @mac1‌,

To address username re-use, I am going to refer you to @jpgoldberg's comments on this thread.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.