The big thread on TouchID issues with 1Password 4.6 betas

1235»

Comments

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Hey @MrRooni‌,

TouchID and PIN unlock have been working like a champ all day. I think your confidence is justified. :D

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member

Touch ID has been working as expected today with background app refresh enabled. Good job guys.

• :-bd

That's just awesome, thank you guys!

• volcom45
    volcom45
    Community Member

Wonderful work, Devs! Haven't seen the Master Password since latest beta update! :) You guys rock! Nice to only get TouchID now!

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

I'm having two problems with the 1P beta 16 and iOS 8 beta 5 on my iPhone: Touch ID is set to on but I only ever get prompted for Master Password. Also in the settings there is no place to set the PIN. In Settings->Security there is nothing about PIN code (it should be below "Request After" like on my iPad I would think).

I've tried rebooting the iPhone, and also removed and re-installed the beta app. What am I missing?

• Hi guys,

@volcom45‌, I'm glad to hear we're making great progress on this. I guess we can ship it now! :P

@mirv:

Touch ID is set to on but I only ever get prompted for Master Password. Also in the settings there is no place to set the PIN. In Settings->Security there is nothing about PIN code (it should be below "Request After" like on my iPad I would think).

1. On devices with TouchID, only the TouchID option will be offered in Settings > Security
    2. On devices with no TouchID, only the PIN option will be offered in Settings > Security
    3. On devices with no device passcode or TouchID on the device, there is only the master password that you can use in 1Password

If you're using TouchID and it still won't show up in Settings > Security of 1Password, try resetting TouchID to fix this. Go to the Settings app on your device, turn off TouchID and then turn it back on to register new fingerprints. Once you do that, reboot your iPhone and open 1Password, see if it'll work better now.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

Thanks for the explanation re: PIN option not offered if TouchID is on.

I do have TouchID showing up in Settings->Security, and it is on. I have it set to Lock On Exit. But I never get the TouchID prompt - it only ever asks for the Master Password. I do use TouchID for unlocking the iPhone and for the iTunes/App store. It was not clear how to "turn off TouchID and then turn it back on to register new fingerprints". I could turn off "Use TouchID for: iPhone Unlock, and for iTunes & App Store" then turn them back on again but this did not require registering new fingerprints.

Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited August 2014

Hi @mirv,

Here's the full instructions:

1. Open the app switcher and quit 1Password.
    2. Go to iPhone settings and turn off TouchID (both for unlocking the phone and for iTunes and App Store).
    3. Disable the passcode alltogheter.
    4. Re-enable the passcode.
    5. Turn TouchID back on.
    6. Turn TouchID on in 1Password.
  • mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

Woo hoo, it works!! Thanks once again. -Mark

ps. I should add that the 1P iOS app is much more useful now that we have TouchID and the password fill extension with Safari. Very cool.

• Hi @mirv,

You're welcome! I agree, 1Password is more fun to use with iOS 8.

It'll be very interesting to see what other things we can do as we continue to work on taking advantage of other features of iOS 8.

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member

Hmm, I've been getting master password prompts after installing beta 19, just like before beta 18 fixed the issue. I'll disable background app refresh and see if that helps again. Could there have been a code reversion?

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

Beta 19 sometimes hangs for a long time at the lock screen with no prompt, then finally seems to time out and put up the Master Password prompt. Other times it correctly goes straight to the TouchID prompt.

• Hi guys,

@fatherfork‌, it is possible. Make sure you reboot your iOS device before testing again. iOS 8 is still a beta and does have a lot of issues that are often resolved by a simple reboot.

@mirv, which device? Do you have Xcode or iTunes installed? When you see this issue again, can you open up Xcode's device manager, and look at the console log for your device, see if there are errors from 1Password.

• sternklang
    sternklang
    Community Member

Hey @MikeT‌,

The issue I raised in comment 116 where it unlocked, then the TouchID dialog came up without allowing input (other than Cancel) happened again this morning. It's happened only the two times so far, and there doesn't seem to be any specific circumstance I can describe that is associated with it. In both cases I unlocked the phone, hit the app icon and the issue occurred, where the same sequence numerous times before or after did not cause it to happen.

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member

@MikeT‌

After restarting my iPhone and unlocking 1password beta 19 with my master password, Touch ID has reverted to pre-beta 18 behavior with background app refresh enabled. I will report back tomorrow after using it with background app refresh disabled to confirm if it truly has reverted or if this is something new.

• tapzapp
    tapzapp
    Community Member

I have Touch ID enabled and it stays on, but I never get prompted. I use it in my own app with the LocalAuthentication framework and it works just fine. I get prompted for my fingerprint when I launch my app. However, I never get prompted with 1Password. I've integrated the 1Password extension into my app. Every time I access the extension I get prompted for my master password. Should Touch ID also work there from a 3rd party app?

Thanks,

Brendan

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

@MikeT‌

@mirv, which device? Do you have Xcode or iTunes installed? When you see this issue again, can you open up Xcode's device manager, and look at the console log for your device, see if there are errors from 1Password.

This is on my iPhone 5s. I do have Xcode, and there are definitely errors from 1Password. I'm trying to upload the file here but this doesn't ever work ("Uploaded file type is not allowed"). I put it the zip file in my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cud89g6ezt4uoa7/touchID console log.rtf.zip?dl=0

• Shelby DeNike
    Shelby DeNike
    Community Member

This may have already been addressed and I missed it in this topic. But is it not possible to make so it ALWAYS uses the TouchID rather than asking for the master password? And perhaps give an option to default back to master password on X failed TouchID attempts?

• @tapzapp Looking through your logs it looks like your Master Password isn't properly stored in your keychain. You may want to do a full Touch ID reset as outlined here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/134051/#Comment_134051

• Shelby, we can't have it set such that you are never asked for your Master Password, but 30 days is available as one of the options. Right now I believe we allow three failed Touch ID attempts (the system default) before asking for the Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.